Soundmagic PL50 impressions+appreciation thread
Aug 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #31 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw why u asking? those two live on different planets btw in every sence

Obviously they're on 2 different planets. Just asking to get an idea of what they sound like.

Aug 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #32 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously they're on 2 different planets. Just asking to get an idea of what they sound like.

I've had a little 5 min. short listening tonight. They is defiantly a little more punchy going (more bass) than PL30 and they properly not that "too bright" like PL30 was. I cannot say more yet, sorry.
Just one thing for sure. I see I am not along about tight fitting tips
biggrin.gif

Still IE8 should really be in a whole different category. They are a black horse IMO. Dark bass heavy iem and likely most of you describing, big soundstage! PL50 is not even close to that, for sure.

Aug 10, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #33 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, not everything is perfect soundmagic-land. After three days of critical listening (20+ hours during which the sound has not changed at all) I can no longer attribute what I'm hearing to simply being spoiled by my RE0s and Etymotics. There is something ever-so-slightly off about the way these sound. Don't get me wrong - the notes are all there, but the overall sound is just a bit distant and veiled compared to some of the other earphones in the price range. I'm not sure this is the right term, but I think they lack resolve - i.e. the sound is slightly run-together when a lot of things are going on simultaneously on the track. Hopefully someone else can confirm/discredit this when more people start getting their PL50s, and I will post more updates as I listen.

I already mentioned it in my first impressions post and after further listening I can confirm that detail/resolution is limited with the PL50. In that regard you are most certainly spoiled by your RE0s and Etys. The most detailed IEM I have is the CK100 (think of it as Etys with a subwoofer) and it's really no fair comparison, the CK100 is light-years ahead in detail/resolution. On the other hand, compared to the X10 the Klipsch have still more detail than the PL50, but the difference is not that much, certainly less than price difference would suggest.

In a nutshell the problem with great bang/buck IEMs is that you start comparing them to more expensive ones and end up slightly disappointed when they can't keep up in all aspects. Nevertheless strictly referring to the <$50 price range IMO the PL50 is way ahead of the competition (not counting my Playaz that need to be EQed to excel).

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #34 of 214
Yes, the PL50s are a great bang/buck IEM, but I wouldn't discard the competition just yet - that lack of resolution that I'm feeling with the PL50s doesn't appear in some of my other budget phones - I certainly can't pin it on the RE2s and Ai-M6 - but those are plagued by other issues (namely shy bass and the world's worst microphonics, respectively).

I think the PL50s need some more eartime before I can update my impressions again. Will use Sony Hybrids now instead of the Soundmagic foamies (which have been destroyed).

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #35 of 214
I had a full day to listen to the PL50 and I really enjoy them. These are my subjective impressions so far.

One word of warning – be careful when removing the supplied foam tips – I pulled on one too hard, and the left earphone shell split with only the cord relief holding it together. I only had them for few days, and I might have to contact SoundMagic for warranty replacement.

Some background first - I am using the PL50 with my FS1 double flange tips (I think they are the same as the Atrio). My IEM’s of reference are the IM716’s and the FS1’s. First of all, SoundMAGIC did a great job with these – the fit and finish are great (other then the shell splitting as mentioned before). I only wish they would come with better tips to match up their SQ.

Compared to the IM716, the PL50's do not have as much detail, they are not as bright as the IM716, which is not always a bad thing. The low end is much more noticeable without sacrificing the overall SQ. Compared to the FS1, the PL50 have a better mid range – where they really shine. The quantity of the PL50’s low end is lower, but the quality is much greater. The bass is fast and accurate and it does not reduce the overall SQ.

The PL50 are a lot of fun to listen to. They really focus on the music. All the instruments are well defined and separated. There is a slight emphasis on the mid range – which reminds me in some ways my Grado SR80’s which are also a lot of fun to listen to, and focus on the music as well.

I have listened to some indie (We were promised jet packs, Elbow, Los Campesinos!), some jazz (Avishai Cohen, Miles, Ahamad Jamal) and electronica/hip hop (Blue Scholars, Crystal Castles, M83, Oakenfeld). There was no one genre that suffered over the others. Listening to indie, which might be the genre I listen to the most, the PL50’s out performed my other IEM’s.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #36 of 214
My PL50's haven't arrived yet, but I do see a problem if the foamies which come on the PL50 won't fit my ears.

Can somebody post here who managed to succesfully remove the foamies from their PL50 without damaging them? Is there some kind of technique to get them off without destroying them? I would kick myself in the face if I managed to decore them as well.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #37 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by Belabor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PL50's haven't arrived yet, but I do see a problem if the foamies which come on the PL50 won't fit my ears.

Can somebody post here who managed to succesfully remove the foamies from their PL50 without damaging them? Is there some kind of technique to get them off without destroying them? I would kick myself in the face if I managed to decore them as well.

I was able to remove the foam tips without damaging the tips - you just need to squeeze hard, and slowly turn them as you pull. Make sure you grab the earphone with the front and back between your fingers, and not the sides (like I did) or you might split the case.

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #38 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by os2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was able to remove the foam tips without damaging the tips - you just need to squeeze hard, and slowly turn them as you pull. Make sure you grab the earphone with the front and back between your fingers, and not the sides (like I did) or you might split the case.

Thanks, that's very useful information.
Mail tracking says my PL50's are being ''processed for delivery''. So I might have to wait for another week.
frown.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #39 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by os2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One word of warning – be careful when removing the supplied foam tips – I pulled on one too hard, and the left earphone shell split with only the cord relief holding it together. I only had them for few days, and I might have to contact SoundMagic for warranty replacement.

I agree. Very likely be careful. I knew I would see this kind of post soon or later, sorry I have gone to say this. I barely made listen to these for total 15 min before this happened:
(If you don’t like see PL50 from inside, please scroll down)

[size=small]
faultypl50.jpg
[/size]

[size=small]
faultypl502.jpg
[/size]

[size=small]
faultypl501.jpg
[/size]

[size=small]
faultypl503.jpg
[/size]

[size=small]
faultypl504.jpg
[/size]

For some reason I just took them off normally to put them away and in just same second I can feel in my fingers the left earpiece simply feel apart in two pieces like did to you
frown.gif

Hey what happened…
confused_face_2.gif
did I bought some Phonaks?

I have a feeling we are going to see this more often when more people get their pairs.

About the foams you could also try warm them up with a hair dryer for 5 min. Usually tips or other thing will expand by this and loose a little grip power that sometimes making removing easier. Still they really don’t stand really much at all. I did close decored the mediums as well. (those that were attached from the factory.) I didn’t really expect so much trouble. Anyway I tried put the large ones after instead (those on my pics) because they would more likely fit better. same thing. The core simply wouldn’t go off the tube even without foam.
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #40 of 214
Sayajin, sorry this happened to you too. Mine did not open all the way, just cracked open a bit. I was able to snap it back together, and I might just use some zap a gap (super glue) to put it back together.

For some reason I though SoundMagic was using a rectangle BA driver, and just wrapping it with the form. I couldn't have imagined they are using a round driver. From the pictures it looks like the Knowles SR BA reciever. The specs seem to fit as well. I guess great things DO come in small packages.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #41 of 214
Sorry to see the ripped IEM, but wow - I didn't expect to see a Knowles's Siren transducer inside.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #42 of 214
Stop torturing me!
devil_face.gif

I really, really hope this won't happen to mine. But this is a big downside for me, I was hoping the PL50 could stand up to more than this. I think you will have to degrade some points concerning build quality in your review, ClieOS.
icon10.gif

Now that I've taken a closer look at the pictures, it seems that the housing didn't break, but the two halves just popped out of eachother. Does that mean that they use glue to keep the housing together, and is that glue just not strong enough? Or is it something else? It looks repairable though.

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #43 of 214
The problem really isn't the build quality of the earphones themselves. Rather, the problem is with how tight the stock foam tips fit on the nozzle and how hard you have to grip the earphone housing to get them off. The fact that the nozzle is notched doesn't help matters, as it provides more grip for the foam tips' core.

I have been enjoying them with Sony Hybrids and I have to say they work quite well. The seal is great (as always with Hybrids) and they fit and come off just fine.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #45 of 214
Yesterday my PL50's arrived.
Today, both sides are split.

One side didn't split while I was changing tips, it happened during normal use.
My guess is that they made one batch of these with bad glue, it probably shouldn't be a problem to avoid this in the future.

Quick question: which Comply foams would work best with these PL50's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back