SoundMAGIC PL30 impressions
Sep 22, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #61 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if I should get a set, since I have fit problems with my SF5pros.

If they sound as good as my SF5pros, than I may well get a pair.

You might want to hold off till ckhirnigs113 gets his from whatever store name that was where they are $20. There's speculation they may be fake but if they are in fact real, they will be one heck of a good *steal* for $20.

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #63 of 327
I have been following the threads concerning the PL30 with great interest lately and am planning to order a pair myself. Thank you all for sharing your experiences!
I am getting more and more convinced however that the USD 20 one's from focalprice are fake. This since I have written them an email asking whether they are genuine or copies and never received an answer.
Also, note that focalprice is calling this product "Professional Earphones" but nowhere on the website do they say they are in fact PL30's. This can only be seen in the pictures. Could well be that they do this because Soundmagic is not a well known brand outside of China, but I find this very strange nevertheless.
Of course, we will know more once the forum members having ordered these will report back. And even than it may not be clear if they do not have the genuine item to compare to. Maybe even fake PL30's sound good, the line between real and fake products is getting thinner and thinner sometimes, for example when overseas factories produce a little more than they are asked to...

Sep 22, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #64 of 327
I ordered the PL-30s from Focalprice just before making my original post. If they arrive as quickly as my last order I expect to have them this week (though I imagine shipping times are quite variable).

I will post photos. If the folks who ordered from eBay or Great-Sounds want specific photos (of documentation or packing) to compare, please let me know.

I will also compare them in performance to my Shure 530s...which I do not expect them to match, but at least it is a benchmark.

My guess, from previous experience with FP and the photos, is that they are genuine. That is just a guess. But if the $30 or so difference in price matters to you, I would wait before buying for the reports.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #65 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ingram: HI Did you order a set of bi-flanges too. If so by whom

Still haven't order any, just want to know which one is the best for PL30
atsmile.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #66 of 327
I think I have been useing the pl-30 wrong. I had them with the top part going up in my ear. I read that the top part should go towards the back of the head. Side ways that would be. Any one know the right way to ware the pl-30? LOL

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #68 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I have been useing the pl-30 wrong. I had them with the top part going up in my ear. I read that the top part should go towards the back of the head. Side ways that would be. Any one know the right way to ware the pl-30? LOL

Though you can certainly wear them in whatever way works best for you, I expect they are intended to be worn as the photo on the packaging indicates (see the lower left corner):

cde4_1.JPG

EDIT: lewislink wins.
icon10.gif

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #69 of 327
This is nuts. I tried wareing them up again then put them in sideways and wow what a huge difference. Its like a different pl-30. Going to the back of the head (sideways) they sound like a different pl-30. I hear much better bass and all kind of highs with very sweet mid range. All this time I was useing them wrong. Now I see why they thrue me out of high school. lol. Oh in the pic he is wareing them going to the back of the head. (sideways) The nozel is tilted slighly upwards and angled. So it seems they are ment to be worn the correct way.

Sep 22, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #72 of 327
I'm currently using these in this configuration:

1st gen. iPhone -> LOD -> RSA Hornet -> PL30

And I can confirm the sound is much better. I was using other non-LOD'd DAPs and decided to try out my iPhone with the LOD and it was an immediate difference in sound quality. It makes these PL30s equal to the SA6, X10 and such...maybe just a bit darker sounding, though. Nevertheless, everything came out better. The bass is stronger and more accurate. The mids, though still a bit dark, are more dynamic. The highs are bolder.

Sep 22, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #73 of 327
Hmm, these phones, when amped via LOD, are equal to X10s, SA6s, etc. I don't use LOD because none of my DAPs have one (except the ZVM, which I am selling). I am getting an iPod Touch (v2) soon, but again, I have no line out cable for it (not yet). Nevertheless, I will pay $20 to see if this is true, once someone reports back that the "PL30s" at that price point are real.

Also, they dropped the price of the PL30s to $39 from $42. Strange price drop. Equal to $350 and $250 MSRP phones (scratches head). Anyone else feel that way yet?

Sep 22, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #75 of 327
Don't believe this will work, as I believe there is a different plug configuration with the iPod Touch v2.

I was thinking more along the line of an ALO cable, which connects directly to the iPod at the bottom, and directly into the amp via mini plug. They can get pretty expensive. I have been reading that those types of line out ICs do not work with Touch Gen 2s, you need to get a new one (some of the pins need to be activated or something). Anyway, you can check the Touch thread in portable source gear for the particulars.

I could be wrong, but I believe the older ALO ICs do not work with the new Touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back