SoundMAGIC PL30 impressions
Sep 14, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #31 of 327
I have had my PL30s connected to my iAudio i7 for a little more than 24 hours now, maybe around 30, and hanging on a hook breaking in. I decided I wanted to give the PL30s a listen and see if there was any improvement in the already very nice sound quality.

I can't say I notice any improvement. I do notice a little thickness in the midrange on one particular song I'm very familiar with. It sounds a bit dark. The other ranges sound quite good. The highs are nice and crisp and clear. The lows are well controlled and deep.

The midrange is giving me a little concern, though. It sounded like I needed to turn that area of an EQ up a bit to make it clearer. I'm not using any EQ or sound enhancements, though.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #32 of 327
Your phones may have shipped.
Both of my orders from Focalprice shipped within 12 hours of me making the order. Note, that they do not promise to send you shipping confirmation if your order is under $20, so if the only thing you ordered was the PL30s, they may have shipped.

We have no reason to judge yet whether the phones are genuine or not.

My guess is that they are genuine GREY MARKET...that is: they are the genuine item, but that they did not flow through normal distribution channels.
I say this because we know the factory is in China, and we know that the manufacturing cost of the genuine article is FAR below $10. Whenever factories have excess products they find a profitable way to get rid of them.

However, that is just a guess based upon the photos and my previous experience with Focalprice.

I will know in a few days if they sound great or not. I will report as soon as they arrive. Only when someone who ordered from eBay also orders from Focalprice will we know if they are identical.

Just my 2 cents.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #33 of 327
groch, Thanks for the vote of confidence. Earlier today I actually stumbled upon the fact that I won't be sent a shipping notification because my order was under $20. I eagerly await the arrival of our phones. I'll be sure to post my impressions when they arrive as well. -CK

Sep 15, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #35 of 327
Sep 16, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #37 of 327
I got an email telling me they had shipped from FocalPrice. It could be up to two weeks before they arrive though.

Sep 19, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #38 of 327
Yep, I'd say these are quite impressive canalphones for no more than what they cost. They have a crisp, clean sound that is only slightly colored but sounds more akin to phones in the $100 to $200 range.

I put them in earlier and was using my SA6 for a while and then the Super fi-5s. When I put these PL30s in i got busy doing stuff and wasn't thinking about the canalphones in my ears steaming music to me. A couple time I forgot I had the PL30s in and thought they were the SA6 or Super fi-5. Then i remembered I had the PL30s in and took note of their impressive sound.

They aren't perfect, the mids are a bit dark but nothing that distracts from their impressiveness too much.

If you guys who bought these for $20 actually have real ones, you made out like a bandit.

Sep 19, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #39 of 327
Hey LTUCCI1924,
Did u got the earphone yet?

Sep 19, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #40 of 327
I'm still waiting on my $20 set to arrive. I hope they don't disappoint with all the hype they've been given. Even if they do, I may credit it to the fact that mine may be fakes. We'll see...

Sep 19, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #41 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I'd say these are quite impressive canalphones for no more than what they cost. They have a crisp, clean sound that is only slightly colored but sounds more akin to phones in the $100 to $200 range.

I put them in earlier and was using my SA6 for a while and then the Super fi-5s. When I put these PL30s in i got busy doing stuff and wasn't thinking about the canalphones in my ears steaming music to me. A couple time I forgot I had the PL30s in and thought they were the SA6 or Super fi-5. Then i remembered I had the PL30s in and took note of their impressive sound.

They aren't perfect, the mids are a bit dark but nothing that distracts from their impressiveness too much.

If you guys who bought these for $20 actually have real ones, you made out like a bandit.

LOL Lewis, since you can't tell which one you have in your ear now, just sell all the others and pay off your credit card!
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #43 of 327
I got the pl-30 4 days ago and burn them in for 50 hours. They eat up my JVC fx66 big time. The fx66 sounds real bad compaired to the pl-30. I have been off line for the last 4 days so I am posting now. The pl-30 sound so very clear with great highs and real good bass. I really like these. I liked the JVC fx66 alot befor I got these but they are now put away. For the money at 52.00 the pl-30 are a great buy.

Sep 20, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #45 of 327
Hee hee~
Finally, I got mine from great-sounds too!
And now burning-in for about 20 hours.
I think this is sweet with only $52 included shipping~

But it should be better if it is $20....................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back