SoundMAGIC PL30 impressions
Sep 13, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #16 of 327
lol, hope so~

If it sounds as great as mention, i think i will consider about the other products from SoundMagic~

Since I saw it got another models at great-sounds.com
but should I take a look at focalprice.com first? :p

Sep 13, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 327
This is beginning to be real exciting because these aren't broke in yet and probably won't be for another 30 or so hours minimum, yet they are already sounding this good. Excellent and tight bass...not a whole lot of bass but as much as the popular ones. The mids are still kind of hazy just a tad but the highs are pretty darn good. I'm not hearing any sibilance at all with these. The FX66 would have a lot of sibilance once a person recognized it.

The lower midrange isn't exceptionally controlled but livable.

I just can't imagine how well they'll sound when they've broken in.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT - Ooops...the highs aren't doing drum cymbals any good. They sound closer to a hiss than a strike on a cymbal.

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #19 of 327
How long will u suggest to broke-in them?

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #21 of 327
I've been using them for a week now and every day they get better, you have to get a good seal or you loose the bass and you must insert fully to appreciate but they are incredible for the price so detailed, tht's why I like them all the little sounds you never heard before, listen to your favorite songs you'll be amazed what's there!!

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #22 of 327
Are you using the tips that came on them or another. There are so many that come with it. Has anyone tried them all?

Sep 14, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #23 of 327
The default sleeves that came on mine were medium single flange silicones and they fit very well and sealed pretty good right off the bat...which is very unusual for me. However, I decided to get a much securer fit and put some UE bi-flanges on. This made them more secure because they went deeper into the ear. Seal wise, they seal very easy with the OEM sleeves.

By the way, I have mine connected to my i7, which on a full battery will last upwards of 40 to 50 hours, breaking in. I decided I wanted to listen to the glorious sound of music through my UM2s instead of these.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #24 of 327
iirc, this thing is basically the same driver as mylarone X3. even the accessories and box look familiar. i like how X3 sound but the high seem degrade over time. it sound harsh after 300+ hrs. the mid is recessed too, at least to my ear.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #25 of 327
Has anyone received their PL30s from FocalPrice.com? I ordered mine a few days ago, but still haven't gotten a shipping notification.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #26 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone received their PL30s from FocalPrice.com? I ordered mine a few days ago, but still haven't gotten a shipping notification.

If the company is in China, it will likely take a long time to receive them, maybe upwards of 15 days.

But I do hope they are real. You'll get a $20 canalphone that will likely knock your socks off.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #27 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iirc, this thing is basically the same driver as mylarone X3. even the accessories and box look familiar. i like how X3 sound but the high seem degrade over time. it sound harsh after 300+ hrs. the mid is recessed too, at least to my ear.

From the photos the mylarone x3 looks a lot like the less expensive Soundmagic PL-12. (According to the Jaben blog, the later Mylarone's came with black cable stress reliefs like the PL-12 photos)

I understood the Mylarone's to be Korean....but perhaps they are made in china by the Soundmagic Folks
Or, perhaps the Soundmagic folks just stole the design. Either way, the 30 is supposed to be a few steps higher end.

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #28 of 327
On the other PL30 thread, someone claims that there are fakes being made of this model. I ordered from FocalPrice.com for $20, so I am afraid I may be getting these fakes.

I think the only verified source for these phones is the one eBay seller that carries them. I wonder if I should try and cancel my order at FocalPrice.com since the phones haven't shipped yet. What do you guys think?

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #30 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by ckhirnigs113 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the only verified source for these phones is the one eBay seller that carries them. I wonder if I should try and cancel my order at FocalPrice.com since the phones haven't shipped yet. What do you guys think?

WHAT? And no longer be our guinea pig? AH, come on! LOL...hehe, I think that might be the wise thing to do, actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back