SoundMAGIC PL30 Adjustable Bass Earphones
Feb 21, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #107 of 232
The PL30 finally reached my door steps after a week of waiting. My first impression right of the box it sound muffled. After an hour of burn in somehow it came alive. All I can tell you it make my first headphone Bose on Ear sound super dirt cheap and sounds no where near the pl30. Staging and Clarity is well worth for the price. It may not sound good or near my ER4s what more can I asked for that kind of price I paid. The only thing that i dont like is that the built look cheap and the cables are abit short to my liking. Other then that this is a pair of IEM that is well worth paying for it.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #109 of 232
Got these headphones today, was using ep-630's till now; decided to try them and plugged them in and was doing some sample playbacks.

When a left/right channel testing sample was played back, i could hear both the channels in each of the ear pieces - i.e left channel audio plays in left ear piece but can also faintly hear the right channel audio in it too, same case with right ear piece, tried plugging it in various ways still the same; the channel separation is proper when i plug in my ep-630's.

Anybody else notice this?

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #110 of 232
I'm no pro reviewer or audiophile but here's my thoughts.

As ordered, from UK online shop, shipped from HK:

'Sony' MDR-EX85 Red
Soundmagic PL-30 Black

Source:
Cowon D2, flat eq etc.
Psiko Garden - Alex Dolby, avg. -7.9dB track volume.
Cowon 30/50 volume level.

Ref:
Cowon D2 stock earphones.
Sennheiser HD25-BA/Concorde headphones. (300ohm)

The EX85.
Copies no doubt, no packaging as such just the earphones in a pleather bag with 3x extra sets of rubbers. The cable is plastic type, longer on 1 side. I think to look at them you'd be hard pushed to tell they were fake, there is a small recess on the bottom of the shell, I don't know if it's on the originals, for what reason or if it's a rear vent, on these it's just a sealed recess.

In use, they sound great. A big improvement over the Cowon stock. Lots of bass and good stereo l/r separation. The volume level is slightly less than the Cowon but the bass makes up for it. Some folks would probably say it's a muddy bass without clear punch. I'd say they sounds like the Sennheisers, an IEM with the closed back headphone sound.

Love the way they fit in the ear, down and twist locks them right in there, and once in they're quite comfy, a bit of pressure in the ear but that's no doubt a big help on the low frequencies and isolation. Dance music club bass sound with these.

Bargain at around a tenner. Should have bought them off the bay with the 'Sony' cable wrap/'leather' case.

The PL-30.
Proper packaging. Nice 2 part box with slide out tabbed inner. Inside there's a great hard shell case with an inner pocket. A rubber cable winder thing, handy. Extra sets of rubbers; Black SML, Grey (harder) SML, a set of foam plugs and a set of dual rubbers.

I bought the black 'phones. The black is a rubbery coating not just painted, it matches the rubber type flexible wire. The bass knob is rubberised too, as is the over ear cable tube. The finishes all match and they look nice. The bass knob is tightly fitted, no loose cheap wobble at all.

I'd say they're not cheap they're inexpensive, well made and well packaged.

In use, they sound very clear, I could hear more in the music than with any of my other 'phones. After listening to the EX85 there wasn't bass to speak of. The rubbers make a lot of difference, I settled on the small greys, these fitted best and the bass was back, not in bounds but I could hear it. The bass knob hardly makes a difference, just turn it to full.
After a break and coming back to the PL-30 they sounded much better, my ears must have recovered from the EX85s.
The sound is very spacious, much more like open back headphones. They sound wide, the music not so much inside my head. The bass is there but not massive, sounds smooth though when they're fitted right. The treble is crystal clear and plays well above the mid range which is just great.

The fitting is tricky to get just right, I think because they're so small. But, when they are in they're so light and comfortable it's hard to know you're wearing them. Taking them in and out you can move the bass knob, keep and eye on that. I do have a concern about the robustness of the cable entry as it does take some waggling and fiddling when fitting or removing the earphones and wrapping the wire in the tube around the ears.

All in all very nice indeed, making me listen to lots of old music again.

Bargains, both pairs. I'd recommend them.

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #111 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by thor_x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got these headphones today, was using ep-630's till now; decided to try them and plugged them in and was doing some sample playbacks.

When a left/right channel testing sample was played back, i could hear both the channels in each of the ear pieces - i.e left channel audio plays in left ear piece but can also faintly hear the right channel audio in it too, same case with right ear piece, tried plugging it in various ways still the same; the channel separation is proper when i plug in my ep-630's.

Anybody else notice this?

I didn't notice anything as I went straight to playing music.

I'm just downloading a test CD:
Michael Knowles: Extras

I'll try out what you say and report back when it's finished.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #112 of 232
I tried the first couple of tracks, channel tests. They're only a quick "left - right-left-right" vocal test, I didn't hear any cross channel audio.

Notes as I was playing around:
I set the volume listening to 1KHz 0db to a loud'ish' but comfortable level, 15/50 on my Cowon D2 with Eq and all settings flat.

Soundmagic PL-30
Track 14 : 31.5 -1dB 30s *JUST* Audible
Track 43 : 16k -1dB 30s Audible

'Sony' MDR-EX85
Track 13 : 25 -1dB 30s *JUST* Audible
Track 43 : 16k -1dB 30s Audible but quiet

Cowon Stock (Volume heard was slightly higher than others)
Track 13 : 25 -1dB 30s *BARELY* Audible, just vibration.
Track 14 : 31.5 -1dB 30s Audible, louder than above 'phones.
Track 43 : 16k -1dB 30s Audible

Tracks:
1220 -1dB 30s
1325 -1dB 30s
1431.5 -1dB 30s
1540 -1dB 30s

4212500 -1dB 30s
4316k -1dB 30s
4420k -1dB 30s

Now, back to the music....
o2smile.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #113 of 232
Yey! Just received them from focalprice (1 month after I ordered them, but I already know that I had to wait so no biggie), and immediately tried them.
What can I say...they don't stand a change against my Denon AH-C551...but I still need to burn them so that could change the cards.
I cannot even find a proper fit (while with the Denon I don't have any problem).

Anyway I'm sure that from here things will get better (after some hours of burning).

P.S. Spent $21.95 (no shipping cost)...that's 17,16 euros (at the time of the order...now it would have been 16.15 euros)

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #114 of 232
i needed some in-ears so I pulled these out after a couple months of non-use. they were kinda shrill and weak in the midrange, but after messing with the EQ for a couple minutes they seem pretty decent. i'll try to see if I can get some ety tips on these or something. these stock tips aren't very comfortable. i think i lost the foamies.

When I first heard the PL-30's, I hated them pretty fast, probably because I was expecting them to be something they weren't. Now as I'm listening with them again, some EQing can make these very worth the $20.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #116 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by vampire666 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yey! Just received them from focalprice (1 month after I ordered them, but I already know that I had to wait so no biggie), and immediately tried them.
What can I say...they don't stand a change against my Denon AH-C551...but I still need to burn them so that could change the cards.
I cannot even find a proper fit (while with the Denon I don't have any problem).

Anyway I'm sure that from here things will get better (after some hours of burning).

P.S. Spent $21.95 (no shipping cost)...that's 17,16 euros (at the time of the order...no it would have been 16.15 euros)

After some hrs of burning the sound is improved, but still nothing that threatens the C551, especially the bass frequencies where the PL30 come out beaten in every way.
Even after what I said the PL30 are still very nice considering the price which they are sold.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #119 of 232
Quote:

Originally Posted by koalkoal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad to see the detail review about our product, PL30. By the way, we are now developing some new exciting models. Hope to bring more professional earphone at affordable price for all users!

Hi and welcome to Head-fi.
Very nice to hear that new models are on their way. I then looking forward for better cable build and overall improvement in sound. So tempting…can’t wait to get the first news on this.
The PL30 perhaps did not satisfy me 100% in sound compare to the Kanon MD-52 (Very similar presentation) but very close.
It would be nice if you could bring up something better than this one and PL30, of cause if that’s your mission. That would be true awesome/Sound Magic.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back