Soundmagic pl-30 20.00 shipped
Nov 5, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #436 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by noahlapuz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone post an actual photo of these? i wanna see for myself if it looks classy or crassy

My impression of the PL-30 is good. The bass is great and highs are not bad at all. However, i feel they are a little resessed in the midrange area, making guitars and some vocals sound less than perfect, compared to my full sized cans. Overall - outraging value for the price.

I found it best to wear them over the ear and with the default tips. Foamies were no good, and the double-flanged tips came in 2. place.

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #437 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised by these claims that the PL-30 don't isolate well. I can't hear much in the outside world with my PL-30 using the foam tips. I got scared as hell yesterday when my brother snuck up on me when I was watching a movie with them on. I didn't notice him at all before he was in my visual range. I also missed three telephone calls (I have the volume set to 4 out of 5 on a nokia). Are you sure you got a good seal? I'd definitely say the isolation is adequate with foam tips.

I also agree regarding the iM716. They are in a totally different class. For $20, that was the best value for headphones ever. But the PL-30 do have a lot of advantages, such as over-the-ear style wearing, the nice bag, and also they are tiny, so they don't bother me when I wear a cap in the winter.

X2 on the $20 newegg im716 deal. Not even close SQ-wise between the 716s (mine are modded at 47ohm) and the PL30s. Not sure who was smoking what at newegg that day, but $20??? With Comply foamies and a decent bass EQ (or a FiiO), wow.

I don't like over the ear style, cause of hair/glasses. Just a pain. Maybe after I get some contacts soon, it will be easier. But I found myself fussing with the PL30s way too much. Going to give them away to a friend/relative.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:41 AM Post #438 of 523
I'd like to update that as of 11/6 they have increased the price to $25. Good thing I bought it two days ago
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #439 of 523
Mine just arrived. Swapped the tips with UE TF comply tips...

Seriously impressed with the sound... just cannot believe that they cost me around the same price as 2 pack of cigarettes in the UK (more or less)! They aren't going to replace my Triple Fi's, but I will be using them when playing live as if I lose/break them it's not much of a disaster.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #440 of 523
Ok, I ordered on Oct. 16 and received the PL-30 on Oct. 30.
But I either have a lemon or someone did something to the red side.
I can not know because the Sound Magic box was not sealed.
The red side had the grill mounted at a slant and not flush like the blue side; could be that someone remounted the red side.
The problem is the PL-30 red side produces high frequency distortion;
even after several hours of burn in. Furthermore the red side is not fully as loud as the blue side.
I contacted focal price and after some wait I was told to mail the headphone to an address in China - versus Hong Kong where the item was shipped from. Right after I informed focal price that I shipped (Nov. 4) the PL-30 to the China address, they send me a message with an ambiguous explanation that they are still trying to find out something from the supplier and apologizes for inconvenience.
I have not heard back from them since. I hope they send me a replacement PL-30 that works. I hope this is just a communication barrier and not some attempt through social networking to reproduce my bad experience that I had with Sennheiser customer support.

Since the PL-30 was shipped back I received a call from my relative that a package from Hong Kong arrived 11-15-08. I guess focalprice had misunderstood the correction to the mailing address that I had made earlier before the first shipment arrived to my corrected address.
Anyway I have no way of knowing if the item shipped to my relatives address is new, fixed or the same. I decided to just give the item away as a gift.
I am disappointed that I could not give a reasonable review of this product.
Regards.

Wait, I just got something in the mail today 11-16-08.
Its a new pair of PL-30 which looks like brand new.
Focalprice sent me a new unit.
I guess I have to due diligence and give this PL-30 a thorough
look over. Its really weird how something of this nature plays tricks on your emotions.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #441 of 523
Hm, I'm having a problem with my red side too. It seems that it's lacking on the bass compared to the blue side, the blue side's bass is really powerful while the red side's is pretty dull. I might try to change the red side to the high bass setting (though I'm afraid the knob will fall off) to see how it sounds. I really hope these aren't broken because I don't have the patience to wait another month for these headphones.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #442 of 523
FocalPrice shipped them on Oct. 14. I received them on Nov. 1. I'm in California. Package was shipped from Hong Kong.

Compared to Marshmallow (FX-33): the PL30 have less bass, and are more detailed. I would call them much better than the Marshmallows.

Compared to Shure e4: the e4s have less bass and are more detailed than the PL30, but not much. I'll agree with another poster here and say that it's not the highs that are veiled, but the midrange. I prefer the sound of the PL30 to the e4. They don't seal as well as the e4, but that can be fixed with comply tips I think. Or maybe e2 tips will fit?

Overall, I'm very pleased with them. I enjoy their sound a lot.

Note that these comments refer to the PL30s before break-in; that is, right out of the box.

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #443 of 523
Hey, if any body has a pair that works fine, but is not for you, I'd be interested in trying these. Let me know. $17 used.

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #444 of 523
got a pair, thanks.

Nov 10, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #448 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbarry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kanon MD-52 IEM Premium earphones
These are supposed to be extremely good

Who said so? Any link?
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My buddy swears on those Kanon things and buys em by the bulk.

Cool, so you might buy or borrow a pair from him and review them for us.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back