Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #496 of 775
So, does anyone have mods for for this can that doesn;t want money?

This thread has turned into an advertisement

Come on.........lets share mods like they do for the T50RP and Grado cans.

Does installing a pair of hm5 angled earpads count?

z

I think it might, we'll have to ask for a decision on that one. Did you find that it improves the sound?

The hm5 pads cost money, so how is that any different?

May 24, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #497 of 775
I'm also interesting in "community" mods (i.e. mods that aren't the commercial product of one specific member). Based on what haS been said here, there's potential in working with dynamat. I've never tried modding headphones, so I wouldn't even know where to start, but I'm sure there's someone here who has modding experience and a pair of hp100/hp150 to experiment with.

If the price is reasonable, I would consider paying for a mod kit, but there have been no updates in a while, so I've basically stopped waiting for it, and the feeling I get is that I might not consider it worth the price of admission.

Anyway, if someone has any ideas, I'd be very interested! :)

May 24, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #498 of 775
:cool:
z

I think it might, we'll have to ask for a decision on that one. Did you find that it improves the sound?

I found that it did move the ss forward somewhat. The biggest difference for me was in the comfort dept. With the stock pads my ears did slightly rest against the housing. The angled pads are thick enough round back that that isn't an issue anymore.

Any thoughts about trying some wood earcups on these?

I'll take them apart and see what I think. I'm set up to make cups for grado type drivers.

I'm also interesting in "community" mods (i.e. mods that aren't the commercial product of one specific member). Based on what haS been said here, there's potential in working with dynamat. I've never tried modding headphones, so I wouldn't even know where to start, but I'm sure there's someone here who has modding experience and a pair of hp100/hp150 to experiment with.

If the price is reasonable, I would consider paying for a mod kit, but there have been no updates in a while, so I've basically stopped waiting for it, and the feeling I get is that I might not consider it worth the price of admission.

Anyway, if someone has any ideas, I'd be very interested! :)

Take a look through this thread for some ideas. I've used many of these mods on the T50RP but I never got mine to the point where I liked it enough to keep it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/618659/fostex-t50rp-incremental-mods-and-measurements

May 24, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #499 of 775
Take a look through this thread for some ideas. I've used many of these mods on the T50RP but I never got mine to the point where I liked it enough to keep it.

Wow, that first post is huge. I suppose being able to do exact measurements would be pretty useful. I don't trust my ears enough to be comfortable drawing any definitive conclusions. And with that plethora of mod versions, it'd still be difficult to know where to start..

Do please take a look at them and tell us if you have any ideas on potential mods! :)

May 25, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #500 of 775

Wow, that first post is huge. I suppose being able to do exact measurements would be pretty useful. I don't trust my ears enough to be comfortable drawing any definitive conclusions. And with that plethora of mod versions, it'd still be difficult to know where to start..

Do please take a look at them and tell us if you have any ideas on potential mods! :)

Well, I haven't heard the hp150 yet so I don't know what kind of mod I'd want to do.

May 26, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #502 of 775
Yup, I gotta say that I was fairly impressed with it too. It was my first closed back headphone and I've read the general complaints about them - cupped sound, small soundstage, etc. Never even noticed any of those issues when I first put them on. After using my X2 almost exclusively for a month or more, switching back to the hp150 I do see what folks are referring to when they mention that cupped sound, but I don't find it bothersome. I also still can't complain about the soundstage size (but, full disclosure I really only seem to notice width not depth regardless what type of phones)

May 27, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #503 of 775

I do like the tone and soundstage of the Magnum and SennGrado much more,and also the midrange. However I like the hp150 much more than the other closed backs I'ce had. It is a little bigger than I thought it would be.

After 30 house of burn in they are sounding better than ever.

May 30, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #504 of 775

I do like the tone and soundstage of the Magnum and SennGrado much more,and also the midrange. However I like the hp150 much more than the other closed backs I'ce had. It is a little bigger than I thought it would be.

A few pages back I ended up describing how the sound improved greatly after the 40 hour point on my HP150 as well. The bass tightened up, and the treble brightness just smoothed right out. I have been running my pair with a flat EQ through my Fiio E12 ever since. However, after enjoying the HP150 for months now, I currently have a new AKG K545 coming in the mail that I just bought as well. I could not resist getting a pair. If anyone wants me to do a comparison between the HP150 and K545 after burn in I will certainly put my thoughts up. I used to own the AKG K612 Pro, and ended up selling those. The HP150 is just a flat out better pair compared to the K612 Pro. Glad you are enjoying your HP150 as well, 7keys.

May 30, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #505 of 775
A few pages back I ended up describing how the sound improved greatly after the 40 hour point on my HP150 as well. The bass tightened up, and the treble brightness just smoothed right out. I have been running my pair with a flat EQ through my Fiio E12 ever since. However, after enjoying the HP150 for months now, I currently have a new AKG K545 coming in the mail that I just bought as well. I could not resist getting a pair. If anyone wants me to do a comparison between the HP150 and K545 after burn in I will certainly put my thoughts up. I used to own the AKG K612 Pro, and ended up selling those. The HP150 is just a flat out better pair compared to the K612 Pro. Glad you are enjoying your HP150 as well, 7keys.

I'm always interested in comparisons, please let us know what you think when they arrive :)

May 30, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #506 of 775

After 50 hours of burn in I like them more than my sennGrado's. The other closed cans I tried I was disappointed with, m50x, m audio Q40 and T50rp's. I'm reall impressed with these, maybe I got a good pair as some don't like their hp150's.

May 30, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #507 of 775
  I found that it did move the ss forward somewhat. The biggest difference for me was in the comfort dept. With the stock pads my ears did slightly rest against the housing. The angled pads are thick enough round back that that isn't an issue anymore.

Any thoughts about trying some wood earcups on these?

According to amazon they have "Over sized 53mm Dynamic drivers" going to need a larger wood cup and a usable frame/headband. It may be best to somehow just to remove the outer shell (probably have to destroy it) and then re-grill/dampen from there.

May 30, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #508 of 775

According to amazon they have "Over sized 53mm Dynamic drivers" going to need a larger wood cup and a usable frame/headband. It may be best to somehow just to remove the outer shell (probably have to destroy it) and then re-grill/dampen from there.
Hi,

The only thing holding in that outer shell are three screws from the inside. It wouldn't be necessary to destroy it. If you can manage it, you can make a new wooden back shell in the shape of the old one, while also creating three threading points for the screws to screw into. You can then apply some sort of glue/sealant along on the underside of the circumference on the wooden shell, the rest it on/into the housing and screw it down with the three screws. I can't really show you any pictures of what I am saying, and the HP100/150 is not even my product, but I hope that helps you with your endeavors somehow. Or, I guess you could wait for the HP300 to come out (as I've heard it is), since that is supposed to have a wooden back I hear.

Also another note, while the drivers are 53mm, the actual plastic frame of the drivers are ~100mm.

Sincerely,
Lyova Margaryan of Tru-Fi Speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back