Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Sep 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #227 of 775
I've just bought a Soundmagic HP150 two weeks ago (under recommendations from this website) and I can't be happier about the sound. The headphone is paired with ODAC/O2 combo. Instrumentals and strings sound more alive on this headphone, the sound is coherent from bass and treble. Not bright-sounding on my system but possesses that vital sparkle.

BTW has anyone found this headphone merciless at exposing compression artifacts? Modern pop and rock CDs sometimes sound so "frayed" at the edges, I suppose it's the result of clipping in the audio signals (after checking the clipped waveform at Audacity). But on well recorded CDs the sound really is excellent.

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #228 of 775
BTW has anyone found this headphone merciless at exposing compression artifacts? Modern pop and rock CDs sometimes sound so "frayed" at the edges, I suppose it's the result of clipping in the audio signals (after checking the clipped waveform at Audacity). But on well recorded CDs the sound really is excellent.

Any headphone with good detail and clarify will allow you to hear either how good or how bad a recording is. And because you can hear how good some recordings are, it calls even more attention to where recordings are bad in contrast. It's the nature of using good headphones :)

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #229 of 775
Does anyone currently have the HP10 and the HP150 for comparison? From what I have seen so far, there are varying opinions about the differences between them. I read one guy's review who said that the HP150 was closer to the HP200 in sound than the HP100, meaning that it was more spacious and bass lacking. Meanwhile, I have read some stuff in this thread where people say that the treble of the HP150 is more rolled off than the HP100, giving it a warmer signature.

If anyone currently has both (I don't really trust memory), I would be really appreciative of an A/B comparison.

Sep 27, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #230 of 775
Any headphone with good detail and clarify will allow you to hear either how good or how bad a recording is. And because you can hear how good some recordings are, it calls even more attention to where recordings are bad in contrast. It's the nature of using good headphones :)

+1

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #231 of 775
I'm using a HP150 with an E07 and it took me to understand them, I'm not the biggest fan of vocals, but I prefer a mid-centric sound, in the case of E07K found the EQ boomy and had to leave him to stay with -4dB to my taste. I also had to get used to big bass, but also learned to appreciate a great medium grave. I'm enjoying the double, but I already have plans to change this dac/amp for a more neutral, accepting suggestions.

edit: sorry for google english.

Sep 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #232 of 775
  I'm using a HP150 with an E07 and it took me to understand them, I'm not the biggest fan of vocals, but I prefer a mid-centric sound, in the case of E07K found the EQ boomy and had to leave him to stay with -4dB to my taste. I also had to get used to big bass, but also learned to appreciate a great medium grave. I'm enjoying the double, but I already have plans to change this dac/amp for a more neutral, accepting suggestions.

edit: sorry for google english.

E11k as a portable amp, and E10k for desktop/laptop use.

Oct 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #235 of 775
Using a E11K, that is only a AMP, the sound will be affected by the primary source? Example, using a laptop and a smartphone as source, I will note the sound difference between the two, yes? If yes, in the case i will need a dac/amp, I send a e-mail for FiiO support and them said to me that the e17k goes out in this year, this is my primary choice for now.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #239 of 775
  How do the HP150s compare to the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros? I've narrowed my search down to these two phones, but wondering if the HP150s are worth they're moderately more expensive price tag.

It has been awhile since I auditioned COP, but the main advantage will be custom Bass tuning where it could reach some nice quantity, something HP150 doesn't offer.  HP150 is more of a neutral/balanced headphones which is about quality, rather than gimmicky quantity :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back