Soundmagic HP150/HP151 Impressions Thread
Oct 31, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #241 of 775
reading good reviews about HP150. is this headphone good for rock, heavy metal, hardcore music with Soundblaster Z, I don't have SBZ yet but the refurbished will be cheaper than E10K.
this is my post if someone interested to read

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740447/headphones-recommendation-for-220-or-less

thanks

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #242 of 775
  reading good reviews about HP150. is this headphone good for rock, heavy metal, hardcore music with Soundblaster Z, I don't have SBZ yet but the refurbished will be cheaper than E10K.
this is my post if someone interested to read

http://www.head-fi.org/t/740447/headphones-recommendation-for-220-or-less

thanks

I have the HP100 (very similar sonically, if not identical to the HP150), and I love them for metal, which is the genre I listen to the most.  I use mine with a Schiit Magni/Modi stack, but they aren't extremely picky as far as amps go so the SBZ should be just fine.

I would recommend the HP150.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #245 of 775
Whats the sound leakage like on these phones?
Thinking of picking up a pair for use at Uni next year as a semi-portable/away from desktop phone, however I will be in an honours office with a few other students relatively close by and don't want to give them the ****s.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #246 of 775
  Whats the sound leakage like on these phones?
Thinking of picking up a pair for use at Uni next year as a semi-portable/away from desktop phone, however I will be in an honours office with a few other students relatively close by and don't want to give them the ****s.

Very little leakage unless you are listening at around 85 dB, which will be audible with just about anything that isn't an IEM, but not ridiculous in this case.  I would say they leak significantly less than average, but get ready to adjust your listening volume down a bit if you listen to extremely loud music.

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #247 of 775
Very little leakage unless you are listening at around 85 dB, which will be audible with just about anything that isn't an IEM, but not ridiculous in this case.  I would say they leak significantly less than average, but get ready to adjust your listening volume down a bit if you listen to extremely loud music.

Thanks for the info mate

Nov 18, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #249 of 775
So the HP150 are slightly more bassy and have a smaller soundstage than the HP100?

Also, does anyone know if the HP150 are slimmer than the HP100?

Where did you read this? It's an identical driver with just an updated different finish earcups and perhaps a slightly plushier earpads. I don't have original hp100 for comparison but don't recall anybody saying soundstage was narrow, it's actually very impressive for a closed back full size. Bass is very detailed, reference quality, slightly north of neutral in quantity, just a perfect amount :wink:

Nov 21, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #250 of 775
Hey guys, 

Just wondering since there seems to be conflicting reports: the HP150 are just another reiteration of the HP100 without the disco-ball like cups and a straight cable with the same sound signature, correct? Also, what is the sound signature of the HP150 like? There are also conflicting observations on this too since some say they're just plain neutral and some say the bass is slightly north of neutral and the bass and treble slightly overpower the midrange.

Thanks!

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #251 of 775
Wondering similar as above. Especially compared to v mods m80/XS. Consider my m80 to be pretty neutral with a slight bass emphasis and a fun sound signature. Do these cans produce a similar bass that neither is overpowering nor flat and do they have that fun feeling when listening to them or is it more analytical?

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #252 of 775
The soundMAGIC are neutral with a SLIGHT emphasis on the bass and the treble. 

Compared to the M-80, they are much more neutral.

According to all the reviews, no one describes it as analytical. It instead is a "good all-rounder"

The 150 have a straight cable, and a rubber back instead of the metal disco ball thing.

There should be a slight change in sound as the cup material would effect the sound slightly.

For those of you who want a good deal, $99 open box HP100. Ordered one a couple days ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0086YJ86Y/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished

Nov 22, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #254 of 775
The 150 are most definitely a fun HP. I am one who is completely convinced they are quite a way North of neutral in bass. I've listened to 7 pair of HP, only one that had the same bass quantity was the Shure 1540.

I have not found them lacking in midrange. Great HP that can do it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back