SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Sep 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #617 of 1,386
  "Sucked-out mid bass and low mids"... what does this mean? Non existent? 

Means very weak or non-existent.  Upright bass and electric bass is best example.  You only get the attack but not much of the fundamental of the note and the warm decay.

I have the HP100s on the headphone amp to burn in for a few days to see if that helps.  I will look in to the x1000x - thanks for the tip.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #618 of 1,386
There's currently a pair of Sound Magic HP100s on my local Craigslist (or at least there was a few days back) for $70.00.  I can't figure out why nobody has bit on that deal.  Me?  I'm too lazy to try another headphone at this time.

Edit: Link provided.  (I'm not affiliated with this seller in any way.)  If someone is local to northern VA, it might be a great deal for them. - http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/ele/4040903189.html

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #619 of 1,386
Holy crap that's a steal... I hope they work q.q

and you get the warm decay notes with the w1000x pads, although do NOT eq them. After swapping pads I tried my usual 3 db bass boost and whoa the mids disappeared [as I eq everything elese down but bass] and turning the volume up well that might be pretty epic but no I take that back, the pads push the mids forward a little, so eq'ing them down... just leaves youu with a wierd sound. So they like my w1000x just sound best un eq'd! That said these also sound horrific with anything under 320k, the lack of highs just makes them sound dull and they aren't to forgiveing either, so yea the pads add a nce level of detai and sound, but again the mids come forward a bit and the treble gets a touch more air, and spaced a tad bit better, things that eq'ing the treble down

point being these get better with the w1000x pads, but as a result they don't fancy to eq very well although the stock FooBar eq kinda sucks so you know experiment! 

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #620 of 1,386
My pair were made FEB 13. I too have read MIXED OPINIONS ON THE BASS. I know for sure that the bass goes very deep without weakening and there are drum beats that have definite impact yet there is a small band of upper bass bordering on lower mids that my M80s put out far more hard hitting than m,y Soundm,agics but again this seems to be quite narrow. As a matter of fact I much more enjoy listening to bass heavy electronica on my Soundmagics than my M80s despite the M80s having a bit of a bassy rep(at least What HiFi thinks so). I don't have a bunch of headphones to compare and certainly don't have expensive ones but I am very very impressed with the Soundmagics. Every headphone has a weakness, even $1000 sets, so if these have a small band of weak upper bass, I'm still impressed with these. They simply destroy my M80s and they cost just as much and got great reviews but don't compare in sound quality. The Soundmagics make music fun to listen to. I hear so much detail, actually feel the rumble of sub bass while still hearing all the finer details with a great soundstage for a closed set. Can anyone really name another headphone at this price that is just as good? Granted sound is subjective but I really think these are the best bang for the buck out there.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #621 of 1,386
In country where you can get Beyer DT880 for about the same price, I think it's the closest match for HP100 with DT880 having superior soundstage and imaging but less potent sub bass and IMHO a bit more grainy but more forward female vocal.

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #622 of 1,386
  In country where you can get Beyer DT880 for about the same price, I think it's the closest match for HP100 with DT880 having superior soundstage and imaging but less potent sub bass and IMHO a bit more grainy but more forward female vocal.

grainy... I agree the mids are not as smooth the the treble is smoother, so you know take your pic. Either way it's an epic can :3 

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #623 of 1,386
Dear everyone that reads this, 
I've had this wonderful chap Mshenay told me that HP100's are really nice for naturual listening. I am on the verge on buying a headphone but I have one last decision to make. I really like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros and the Hp100's. 

I've heard the opinion of Mshenay, but can someone else help me too?

So the question:

Which is better when I listen mostly to Indie folk, pop and dubstep (or other bass heavey electronics)? Sometimes I am a basshead, sometimes I am not. (weird. :p)

1. The SoundMAGIC HP 100's.
2. The Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros.

Thanks for your time, all!

EDIT: I am mostly using them on the road. Only putting them in home use in the weekends and the evenings. Otherwise, they are going EVERYWHERE. :) 

Rob.

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #624 of 1,386
iCupboard,

The versatility of the Custome One Pro seem to fit perfect what you want. You can adjust bass as you want.
Otherwise the HP100 should be the winner for the sound quality. They have a nice punch in the bass (sub-bass mainly) with detailed mids and highs. The HP100 can bring out the bass when it's need, but it's not a basshead headphones by anymeans.

I can do a direct comparison between the DT-770 and the HP100 (not the Custom One unfortunately, but from the review, they are quite similar) and I would say that I enjoy more listening to the HP100 than the DT770. Tighter bass, mids are more forward and detailed but never sibilant highs with a good extension.
The HP100 isolate more than the DTs.
For comfort... It's hard to say but the HP100 might have a slight lead there.

For the look, the Custom One is a clear winner to my point of view even if the HP100 are good looking.

Folk and Pop music will be wonderful with the HP100. For dubstep, I can't really comment on that as I don't listen to dubstep.

As a conclusion, you can't go wrong with those cans, it really depends on your taste. If you are basshead and listen to a lot of dubstep, go for the Custom, as you can even change the bass response with the vent port. Otherwise, the HP100 is a wonderfull all-rounder cans from my point of view.

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #625 of 1,386
Wow, thanks! 
I am still thinking about which one I want. Because I am taking them everywhere. 

I'd say I listen 75 percent to folk music. But I grow bored of it one day, then I listen to rock and dubstep. That is about it.

EDIT: It might help that I've had the K551, and I really loved the sound of this can but it broke twice on me. The sound was great. Though it had too little bass for my taste.

EDIT2: Do you perhaps have some other cans you can recommend for my genre of music?

Oct 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #626 of 1,386
iCupboard,

I'm not familiar with the AKG K55X line but I would assume they have tight and flat bass. If someone can correct me but they should be quite similar to the K550 and there are plenty of comparisons on this thread about the K550 and the HP100. But in short the HP100 have more bass but quite similar sound. So maybe that's what you're looking for.

Hum for portable, I really love the MDR-1R from Sony, but they don't isolate well and the HP100 have a more neutral sound, better soundstage and tighter bass line, but they (MDR-1R) can be great with dubstep as they have more kick and punch in the bass.
Maybe the Momentum, they seem to be one of the best all rounder for portable cans but are quite expensive and have small earcups for a circum-aural.
I've did an extensive search few months ago and I've settle with the HP100 and the MDR-1R. I had the Custom One in sight but the HP100 was a clear winner from the reviews I read.

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #627 of 1,386
  iCupboard,

I'm not familiar with the AKG K55X line but I would assume they have tight and flat bass. If someone can correct me but they should be quite similar to the K550 and there are plenty of comparisons on this thread about the K550 and the HP100. But in short the HP100 have more bass but quite similar sound. So maybe that's what you're looking for.

Hum for portable, I really love the MDR-1R from Sony, but they don't isolate well and the HP100 have a more neutral sound, better soundstage and tighter bass line, but they (MDR-1R) can be great with dubstep as they have more kick and punch in the bass.
Maybe the Momentum, they seem to be one of the best all rounder for portable cans but are quite expensive and have small earcups for a circum-aural.
I've did an extensive search few months ago and I've settle with the HP100 and the MDR-1R. I had the Custom One in sight but the HP100 was a clear winner from the reviews I read.

So you have a HP 100 for home use and the MDR-1R from Sony for portable use? 

I think I am going to look in that MDR 1R, because I like portable cans. But someone else (PrimeTime86) also recommended me the DT 770's from Beyer. So now it is three ways:

1. SoundMAGIC HP100's
  2. Sony MDR - 1R
  3. Beyerdynamic DT770

I think I really like the Sony MDR - 1R, because of the portability. And they look nice and comfy. But the DT770 is also very welcome. Doubts once again... :frowning2: 

EDIT: I can get the Sony MDR - 1R for 160 euros and the DT770 for 155 euros. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #628 of 1,386
^^^ What do you want in portability? Because any closed back headphone that's easy to drive is in my mind, portable. 

Of the three you mentioned, i think the soundmagic would be your best bang for your buck.... then again i don't have any of those 3 headphones (just from what i've read). 

Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't you need a good amp for all of the beyerdynamics or they will sound "distant". I've also read that the 32 ohms version is harder to drive then the 200 ohms because of the sensitivity rating. The soundmagic also has a low sensitivity so maybe you would be better off going for the sony's. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #630 of 1,386
For the DT770 Pro, if you have the 32Ohms version, that's ok. They share the same drivers as the 80 and the 250Ohms version. I owned a Cowon J3 to drive them (Pro - 32ohms) and it was ok, not optimal for sure.
But in my opinion, the HP100 is better than the DT770, the Beyer have more bass and can be a bit boomy sometimes but for dubstep, they might be one of the best cans available I think.

If the isolation is an important point, stay away from the MDR-1R. They are ok in quiet rooms but not for subs, bus or any noisy rooms,
I will use the HP100 as a portable as soon as I get a shorter cable than the one that comes in the box but for now I'm using them at home yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back