SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #331 of 1,386
I'm currently listening to the Brainwavz HM5, another headphone in it's pricerange.

Some impressions vs the HP100, but i honestly have to say this feels like an unfair comparison as i wouldn't group the HM5 into direct rivalry but more as 1-2 classes lower.

Bass: The HM5 has no chance here, the HP100 goes deeper, has more subbass with more definition and lack of distortion, more impact/punch and overall 2-3dB more upper bass. The bass on the HP100 is the foundation of an extremly coherent presentation. The HM5 feels more seperated into bass,mids,treble. Drumkits sound alot better/natural on the HP100. Electronic music sounds alot better on the HP100.

Mids: Mids are a bit thinner and more distant on the HM5. The HP100 has more upper mids and more clarity in that region. HP100 sounds more lively with vocals and crunchy with guitars. Depending how sensitive you are this might be too much, but it's nowhere near grado level. For my tastes it's a great balance of a gradoish sound with more hifi-like attributes.

Treble: It's there on the HM5, not as forward as the HP100 and not as clearly defined, kinda unobstrusive. HP100 has a smoother treble presentation.

Soundstage: Less width but more depth on the HM5. What's interesting is that the soundstage seems to reveal more details. You will hear spacial cues/reverb that you don't make out on the HP100.

Other things (subjective): The HP100 has a smoother sound to it and is more _alot_ more involving. Comfort is better on the HP100, the HM5 clamps too strong like the HD600/650. In the end these two headphones are kinda similar but the HP100 is so much better at everything that i wouldn't really consider the HM5 if you can get the HP100 for the same or a little more.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #332 of 1,386
Thanks for the great comparison! Really helpful for people looking to buy these

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #333 of 1,386
Quote:
I'm currently listening to the Brainwavz HM5, another headphone in it's pricerange.

Some impressions vs the HP100, but i honestly have to say this feels like an unfair comparison as i wouldn't group the HM5 into direct rivalry but more as 1-2 classes lower.

Bass: The HM5 has no chance here, the HP100 goes deeper, has more subbass with more definition and lack of distortion, more impact/punch and overall 2-3dB more upper bass. The bass on the HP100 is the foundation of an extremly coherent presentation. The HM5 feels more seperated into bass,mids,treble. Drumkits sound alot better/natural on the HP100. Electronic music sounds alot better on the HP100.

Mids: Mids are a bit thinner and more distant on the HM5. The HP100 has more upper mids and more clarity in that region. HP100 sounds more lively with vocals and crunchy with guitars. Depending how sensitive you are this might be too much, but it's nowhere near grado level. For my tastes it's a great balance of a gradoish sound with more hifi-like attributes.

Treble: It's there on the HM5, not as forward as the HP100 and not as clearly defined, kinda unobstrusive. HP100 has a smoother treble presentation.

Soundstage: Less width but more depth on the HM5. What's interesting is that the soundstage seems to reveal more details. You will hear spacial cues/reverb that you don't make out on the HP100.

Other things (subjective): The HP100 has a smoother sound to it and is more _alot_ more involving. Comfort is better on the HP100, the HM5 clamps too strong like the HD600/650. In the end these two headphones are kinda similar but the HP100 is so much better at everything that i wouldn't really consider the HM5 if you can get the HP100 for the same or a little more.

I agree with this review.  I have the HM5s and the HP100s and I also feel that the HP100s pretty much outclass the HM5s in every category.  Except maybe for soundstage size of course.  The bass on the HM5 comes off as boomy and a bit muddy compared to the HP100 which has super-deep but tight bass.  The treble and mids on the HP100 are just more refined than the HM5.  

I still think the HM5 is a good headphone, it just can't compare to the HP100 in my opinion.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #334 of 1,386
I think I just rediscovered my love for these. I took of the Dt770 pads on put on the regular ones, i like them much better now. They sound more natural to me. I think the DT700 pads kind of made them sound dry, but I contribute that more to the cloth inbetween the earpad and driver. Its much thinner on the pleather pads.

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #335 of 1,386
I agree that the DT770 velour pads have a negative impact on the sound quality and balance.
After a while I also changed back to the original pads.

Someone suggested to me to use additional cotton wool padding
to compensate for the shallow nature of the original pads.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #336 of 1,386
I agree that the DT770 velour pads have a negative impact on the sound quality and balance.
After a while I also changed back to the original pads.

Someone suggested to me to use additional cotton wool padding
to compensate for the shallow nature of the original pads.

I think if I buy some foam and put it under the pads they'll be golden. As for the dt770 pads, I'm going to mess around with the cloth pieces they come with and see if I can. Get it to sound better.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #340 of 1,386
Thankyou kindly these are on My shopping list!

In my opinion they are pretty heavy (not unbearably heavy, but too heavy carry around, and have massive ear cups. I could never imagine carrying them around in public. Although I guess most people on here don't mind being sen in huge headphones. They just don't meet my definition of portable. My favorite portable headphones in this price range are the Ae2s. Although I haven't tried a ton of stuff, I have tried quite a few.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #341 of 1,386
Quote:
In my opinion they are pretty heavy (not unbearably heavy, but too heavy carry around, and have massive ear cups. I could never imagine carrying them around in public. Although I guess most people on here don't mind being sen in huge headphones. They just don't meet my definition of portable. My favorite portable headphones in this price range are the Ae2s. Although I haven't tried a ton of stuff, I have tried quite a few.

Try T5ps, I used to rock those all around the world and was happy. I sold thm and just re-bought them for the ultimate expperience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back