SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #241 of 1,386
Quote:
Holy crap looks really impressive, just looking at your picture has me kind of excited haha those look impressive! I was reading about and have received recommendations to use the beyer velours but I was afraid going from a pleather type seal to a velour would change the signature.

It is always REALLY hard for me to find closed headphones that seal properly around the bottom of my ear because I have a bonier jaw line without much fat on my neck with a lot of contour I just have a scrawny neck haha

I find the HP100s to be a touch dry and sibilant at times, and it could be due to the change of the pads.  Maybe I'll swap them again this weekend and see what differences I can discern.  And then maybe I'll buy the Beyer Softskin pads:p.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #242 of 1,386
The velour pads look very comfortable but I just know it would affect the seal too much and therefore the bass. I really like the bass on these and don't want to mess with that. Frankly, the more detailed and brighter sound of these(relative to most other headphones) isn't what I typically go for but only because they typically lack bass. With the HP100 I'm getting the best of both worlds with greater detail and still get thunderous bass. I thought my M80 was great with detail, and I do love its smooth-full mids, but these are simply superior headphones. I'm getting a far more balanced sound, more detail, bigger sound stage, imaging and sub bass. I really like how every instrument has its own space with no congestion that I never thought the V Modas had until getting these. Oh and with the ZO these can be quite fun headphones with electronica.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #244 of 1,386
The velour pads look very comfortable but I just know it would affect the seal too much and therefore the bass. I really like the bass on these and don't want to mess with that. Frankly, the more detailed and brighter sound of these(relative to most other headphones) isn't what I typically go for but only because they typically lack bass. With the HP100 I'm getting the best of both worlds with greater detail and still get thunderous bass. I thought my M80 was great with detail, and I do love its smooth-full mids, but these are simply superior headphones. I'm getting a far more balanced sound, more detail, bigger sound stage, imaging and sub bass. I really like how every instrument has its own space with no congestion that I never thought the V Modas had until getting these. Oh and with the ZO these can be quite fun headphones with electronica.
I just put my velour pads on and don't notice much of a difference at all. I want to say it added a little more bass impact, but im not sure.
I've been wearing these for an hour and a half and I don't feel discomfort at all. With the stock pads my ears would get hot in about 20 minutes.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #245 of 1,386
Quote:
I just put my velour pads on and don't notice much of a difference at all. I want to say it added a little more bass impact, but im not sure.
I've been wearing these for an hour and a half and I don't feel discomfort at all. With the stock pads my ears would get hot in about 20 minutes.

Were they the Beyerdynamic DT770 velours and did you notice much of a difference in isolation?

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #246 of 1,386
Put some other pads on and spaced them out with some foam earplugs just to try it out for the time being, will post pics in a bit haha

Bleh affected sound too much, killed the hell out of the high's so nvm

Jun 8, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #248 of 1,386
Quote:
Put some other pads on and spaced them out with some foam earplugs just to try it out for the time being, will post pics in a bit haha

Bleh affected sound too much, killed the hell out of the high's so nvm

I'm telling you, man, try the velours before your return window expires. It may solve your problem and if it doesn't... just return everything.

Edit: I contemplated returning it, myself, to fund something else... but can't bare to do it. It really is the best closed can that I've tried in that price range, And seeming as I won't go above that range for a closed can... the HP100 is a must have for me.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #249 of 1,386
So I did some more A/Bing between the stock pads and the Beyer velours.  I do detect some subtle differences.  Of course, the following is coming from my ears.  Compared to the velours, the stock pads make the sound a bit darker, a touch warmer, and slightly more liquid.  Compared to the stock pads, the Beyer velours make the sound a bit clearer/airier, a touch drier, and slightly more sibilant.  I think differences in bass impact are negligible.  I could do without the sibilance of the velour pads, but not without the comfort.  The stock pads are a bit too claustrophobic.  Despite the differences, I think I'll stick with the Beyer pads. Understand, though, that these truly are minor differences.  They do exist, but will probably not be noticed without some critical listening.  At this point, I think there's one more route I can take:  Beyer softskin pads:).  I might order a pair with my next paycheck.  Regardless, I still love these headphones, and I think they're about as close to my ideal closed headphone as I'll get for quite some time.

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #254 of 1,386
Depending on your facial features... I can stick my index finger up behind my earlobe while wearing them. anyways I am gonna stick with the stock pads and keep messing around abit, velours I would not like most likely because they already sound a bit dry to me, Bass is there and gives weight but the mids sound "there" but just not what I am use to, I enjoy them a lot but in a different way.

Maybe pairing them with a tube hybrid will make it sound a little more rich in the mids everything else is beyond what you expect though.

I must add even without a perfect seal the bass is still all present and accounted for, I am just finnicky as hell with closed cans and seal.

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #255 of 1,386
I'm trying to get a pair right now and was wondering how easily these cans drive. I'm on the go a lot and really don't have any time/space to bring a portable amp all the time. Also what's the street price on these? I'm seeing them go on Amazon for $200 and am wondering if there is anywhere to get them cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back