SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jun 1, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #226 of 1,386
From the reviews, it looks like they'd fit, but they might alter the sound more than the EDT 770VBs, since I understand that the earpads on Amazon are for the open headphones (880s and 990s). I think these are the correct pads:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT770VB-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B007VCKA64/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
ir

Maximus, have you seen the two different velours side by side? I'm wondering what the difference is since I got the ones you say are for the DT880/990 and they fit my DT770 we ohm as though meant for them. Wonder how different they are?

Jun 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #227 of 1,386
Well, yes, I think they're all the same dimensions, so I think either pad would fit the HP100s/Beyers, but the two different model numbers lead me to believe that something is different about them, possibly some of the cushion/cover material.  Otherwise, I would think that Beyer would just make "Velour Earpads for Beyers DT 770-990" and call it a day.  But to answer your question, I haven't seen the two side by side.

Jun 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #228 of 1,386
Well, yes, I think they're all the same dimensions, so I think either pad would fit the HP100s/Beyers, but the two different model numbers lead me to believe that something is different about them, possibly some of the cushion/cover material.  Otherwise, I would think that Beyer would just make "Velour Earpads for Beyers DT 770-990" and call it a day.  But to answer your question, I haven't seen the two side by side.

The DT250 pads I have are very firm velours. I used them on my Panasinics and did NOT hurt the bass as the softer velours did on my Q-40's.

Are the velours you have very soft and plush or firm?

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #229 of 1,386
Uh, medium, maybe?  It's been a long time since I've used DT 250 velours, so I can't really make a comparison.  And those are differently shaped, not really made for the 770s-990s.

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #230 of 1,386
Quote:
Uh, medium, maybe?  It's been a long time since I've used DT 250 velours, so I can't really make a comparison.  And those are differently shaped, not really made for the 770s-990s.

Is it a simple remove and replace like the SRH840 pads?

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #231 of 1,386
Pretty simple.  I found that it was a little harder to put the black ones on as opposed to the silver ones from my DT 770s (a little tighter, I guess), but it's basically a matter of removing the old ones and putting on the new ones by working around the lip.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #234 of 1,386
Jun 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #235 of 1,386
Jun 6, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #236 of 1,386
I got a question guys, you may have gone over this somewhat but searching the thread for "seal" did not return much of anything besides mentions of the k550.
Loving these so far, they are the brightest can I have had in awhile by a good margin but the bass is great and I am adjusting.
ONE THING I do notice that is annoying the hell out of me is if I have them plugged into my mobile set up while I move around the house 10Hz-300Hz waxes and wanes in and out of the picture, and really killing the already slightly flat mid's and some of the bass.

I need more clamping force which I can probably accomplish by a little pressure between 2 heavy books for an hour or so and I am pretty sure I am gonna need some pads with more depth and cushyness to mold around the bottom of my ear lobe, If I angle them with the bottoms pressed against my jawline/neck without pushing the drivers closer to my ears the sound is a lot better. anyone with any suggestions? I don't wanna change characteristics of the sound too much if possible.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #237 of 1,386
Quote:
I got a question guys, you may have gone over this somewhat but searching the thread for "seal" did not return much of anything besides mentions of the k550.
Loving these so far, they are the brightest can I have had in awhile by a good margin but the bass is great and I am adjusting.
ONE THING I do notice that is annoying the hell out of me is if I have them plugged into my mobile set up while I move around the house 10Hz-300Hz waxes and wanes in and out of the picture, and really killing the already slightly flat mid's and some of the bass.

I need more clamping force which I can probably accomplish by a little pressure between 2 heavy books for an hour or so and I am pretty sure I am gonna need some pads with more depth and cushyness to mold around the bottom of my ear lobe, If I angle them with the bottoms pressed against my jawline/neck without pushing the drivers closer to my ears the sound is a lot better. anyone with any suggestions? I don't wanna change characteristics of the sound too much if possible.

I don't have a pair to play with but what pads do you have on it now?  The ideal would be the elusive Beyer gel pads.  I have one pair of the 'clear' (which are clear with white gel inside them (check out the picture on my Q40's) and I have a pair of black gels on order with Beyer but they are coming from Germany and who knows how long they will take.    You talk about seal............these do that.  Couple this with some padding/rope UNDER the pads and you'll get your better clamp/better seal all at once. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #238 of 1,386
Holy crap looks really impressive, just looking at your picture has me kind of excited haha those look impressive! I was reading about and have received recommendations to use the beyer velours but I was afraid going from a pleather type seal to a velour would change the signature.

It is always REALLY hard for me to find closed headphones that seal properly around the bottom of my ear because I have a bonier jaw line without much fat on my neck with a lot of contour I just have a scrawny neck haha

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #239 of 1,386
On second thought I am not sure if I am going to be keeping these, if that is the case I will spring for the gel pads, they are pretty expensive though ($40) in the mean time what would be the best method to raise the stock earpads a little more (materials etc) are there any other cheaper pads preferably on amazon that will do what I am looking for? I just need it to fold around my jaw line! haha

would I just look for weather stripping with a sticky side and push it up into the folds?

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #240 of 1,386
Quote:
On second thought I am not sure if I am going to be keeping these, if that is the case I will spring for the gel pads, they are pretty expensive though ($40) in the mean time what would be the best method to raise the stock earpads a little more (materials etc) are there any other cheaper pads preferably on amazon that will do what I am looking for? I just need it to fold around my jaw line! haha

would I just look for weather stripping with a sticky side and push it up into the folds?

I used a length of rope under the pads.  You can put it JUST under the area you are having a seal problem and see if it solves that for you.

Shure 840 pads are $14 on Amazon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back