SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
May 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #211 of 1,386
Quote:
I was literally about to have the exact same setup. I planned on buying the BH in the next week.
Why don't you like it? And are there other amp you would reccomend

Mids feel kind of thin compared to the K550 I was using before. Vocals aren't as prominent in the music; they lose their place as the center of the show. Maybe a warmer amp like a fiio or a cmony would pair better, since the warm sound would fill in the thinness while also touching up the bass.

I'll probably look in to trying a fiio soon and see how the warmer sound works.

May 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #214 of 1,386
Really enjoying these!
dt880smile.png

May 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #215 of 1,386
I've owned both the A900Xs and the HP100s, but not quite at the same time.  The HP100s are more conventional with regard to fit and IMO more comfortable...initially.  The stock earpads are a bit shallow for me, so I bought Beyer velours (the same as on the DT 770s) and they fit perfectly and don't seem to affect the sound too much, and of course they're more comfortable.
I think the HP100s are very well balanced across the spectrum and have fantastic clarity and instrument separation.  Bass is clean and well controlled, but perhaps slightly north of neutral (something I prefer).  I think maybe the soundstage on the A900Xs is slightly better, but I think I prefer the overall sound signature of the HP100s.  The SoundMAGICS are just a touch warm, and the A900Xs are perhaps a touch bright, and maybe slightly artificial sounding.  If we're splitting hairs, I think the HP100s can be a little dry at times, and maybe just slightly more sibilant than "average," but again, these are pretty fine points (these may also have been the result of the pad swapping; I didn't listen to them too long before switching).  Perhaps the A900Xs do classical a little better, but I prefer the HP100s for everything else (and I can handle their tolerance for classical).  They do a lot of things very well.  I think they're a bit more natural sounding than the A900Xs.  I think you'd do well to pick them up.  For what it's worth, I smile more when I'm using the HP100s than when I had the A900Xs:).  They just sound really good.

May 31, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #216 of 1,386
Quote:

Mids feel kind of thin compared to the K550 I was using before. Vocals aren't as prominent in the music; they lose their place as the center of the show. Maybe a warmer amp like a fiio or a cmony would pair better, since the warm sound would fill in the thinness while also touching up the bass.

I'll probably look in to trying a fiio soon and see how the warmer sound works.

Could you do a quick comparison between the K550 and HP100? I'm really curious with the performance difference between these two.I have the HP100 and love them but I was seriously concidering the K550 until I read about the fit issues and my head isn't big. I'd really like to know how they perform sound stage wise and bass responce, along with the rest. I've read mixed things about the K550 such as the bass being weak and being great, also that the sound is thin yet others say its not. Which do you prefer and why?

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #217 of 1,386
Quote:
I've owned both the A900Xs and the HP100s, but not quite at the same time.  The HP100s are more conventional with regard to fit and IMO more comfortable...initially.  The stock earpads are a bit shallow for me, so I bought Beyer velours (the same as on the DT 770s) and they fit perfectly and don't seem to affect the sound too much, and of course they're more comfortable.
I think the HP100s are very well balanced across the spectrum and have fantastic clarity and instrument separation.  Bass is clean and well controlled, but perhaps slightly north of neutral (something I prefer).  I think maybe the soundstage on the A900Xs is slightly better, but I think I prefer the overall sound signature of the HP100s.  The SoundMAGICS are just a touch warm, and the A900Xs are perhaps a touch bright, and maybe slightly artificial sounding.  If we're splitting hairs, I think the HP100s can be a little dry at times, and maybe just slightly more sibilant than "average," but again, these are pretty fine points (these may also have been the result of the pad swapping; I didn't listen to them too long before switching).  Perhaps the A900Xs do classical a little better, but I prefer the HP100s for everything else (and I can handle their tolerance for classical).  They do a lot of things very well.  I think they're a bit more natural sounding than the A900Xs.  I think you'd do well to pick them up.  For what it's worth, I smile more when I'm using the HP100s than when I had the A900Xs:).  They just sound really good.

Hey, Marximus. I'm also interested in replacing the stock earpads that came with the HP100. I have the same issue as you where my ears would touch the drivers a bit. It doesn't bother me intially, but after a while, it starts to irritate them and I'll have to take them off and give my ears a break for a few minutes. I'm still deciding between getting the grey velours or the black velours and I would appreciate it if you could provide some pictures of how the velour pads look with the HP100s. Thanks in advance! 

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #218 of 1,386

Here you go.  They're not very good pictures, but you get the idea.  Let me know if you want different angles or something.  I personally think they look very good, and I don't know why Beyer didn't put black velours on the DT 770s.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #219 of 1,386
Quote:

Here you go.  They're not very good pictures, but you get the idea.  Let me know if you want different angles or something.  I personally think they look very good, and I don't know why Beyer didn't put black velours on the DT 770s.

Man I want a pair! Where do I order those exact ones? They have to be black I won't stand those Beyer greys with this can...

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #220 of 1,386
This is the same place from where I bought mine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-EDT-770-VB-Replacement-Ear-Cushions-for-DT511-DT770-DT770Pro-More-/290913489844?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item43bbcb93b4

~$30 and decent shipping speed (unless you pay more).

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #222 of 1,386
From the reviews, it looks like they'd fit, but they might alter the sound more than the EDT 770VBs, since I understand that the earpads on Amazon are for the open headphones (880s and 990s). I think these are the correct pads:
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT770VB-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B007VCKA64/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Jun 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #223 of 1,386

Those are the DT770 velours so they should fit. I've used them on my Q40's.

A low (no?) buck solution to the ears hitting the driver problem is one I've used on multiple headphones including my Q40's and M-100's - put a length of call it 1/4" rope under the pad to give you some depth away from the driver cover. It works. Just tuck it under the pads all the way around.

Jun 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #224 of 1,386
I know some people dislike the shiny exterior of this cans but man I really like it under warm yellow light, looks really classy, and I'm normally not the type who fuss over headphone aesthetic, as long as it's comfortable.

Jun 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #225 of 1,386
Quote:

Wow, that looks great! Just placed an order for the black velours on Amazon. It should be arriving by Tuesday. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back