SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #916 of 1,386
Thanks to MrLazyAnt and Za Warudo for the inputs! I am also considering the HIFIMAN - EF-2A. Do you think this headphone amp will also act as dac? Will it be good with the Soundmagic hp 100?

Aug 25, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #917 of 1,386
I use mine every day at work with an Audioengine D3 and occasionally at home with my NFB-15.32.  Honestly, these are so easy to drive, they sound fantastic out of my Rockboxed Sansa Zip Clip with an E11.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #920 of 1,386
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the HP100/150 and the HP200?  One of these days I need to try an open phone again (the only one I have tried is Q701).

Thinking if I was to go open, maybe try the HD600 for something completely different from the Soundmagic.

Also, weird that the Soundmagic website does not have either 150 or 200 anymore, or at least I could not find them.  That makes me wonder what is going on with Soundmagic.

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #921 of 1,386
Has anyone done a direct comparison between the HP100/150 and the HP200?  One of these days I need to try an open phone again (the only one I have tried is Q701).

In addition to the HP200s, you might try the K612 Pros. Less treble emphasis/bit more neutral sounding overall than the Q701.

That being said, I do want to try the HP200, too :)

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #922 of 1,386
In addition to the HP200s, you might try the K612 Pros. Less treble emphasis/bit more neutral sounding overall than the Q701.

That being said, I do want to try the HP200, too
smily_headphones1.gif

Both are surprisingly very similar...

Sep 1, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #923 of 1,386

Thinking if I was to go open, maybe try the HD600 for something completely different from the Soundmagic.

Also, weird that the Soundmagic website does not have either 150 or 200 anymore, or at least I could not find them.  That makes me wonder what is going on with Soundmagic.

Thanks!

I was almost buying hp200 from Amazon. But the seller cancelled the deal in the last time. Why, Soundmagic had banned international sales in the last minute!

I wonder if there is any connection..

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #924 of 1,386
I have now listened to a total of three different headphones, so take that into account when reading any of my posts.

I got the HD600 from Amazon Warehouse (just under $300US).  They look spotless by the way.  First impression-beautiful sound.  If this had been my first set of headphones, I would never, I mean never ever, had thought them bass light, or bass lacking in any way.  I am no sound engineer, and I certainly have no way of knowing how accurate any sound is compared to what the producer intended (does anyone?), but these sound, bass-wise anyway, more like what I have heard through the years of listening to music.  They really do sound superb, and as everyone that has ever written about them say, the mids are gorgeous.

Now, to compare them to the HP150…accurate or not, the bass on the 150 are waaaay more present/impactful, no comparison between the two, just totally different sound, everything from rock to classical.  Beethoven’s 9th, about 3:10 into the fourth movement when the low strings come on very softly, when they hit the lows, you really feel them, absolutely amazing!  That was probably the single thing that hit me the most when I got these.  A bass heavy track like “Billy’s Got a Gun” by Miss Li, sounds very different changing between these two headphones.

I’m not sure what I will do now, have 30 days to return the HD600 if I want to.  I plan on listening to them this weekend, giving my brain time to burn in to them.  I may well keep both, but as of yet, uncertain when I would choose the HD600 over the HP150.

Understand, I am not claiming that one headphone is better than the other.  I can say, without any doubt, the bass on the HP150 is stronger.  You will feel the bass as well as hearing it.  The mids on the HD600 are spectacular, and are better, to my ear anyway. 

Listening to both through magni-modi stack, FLAC files.

Sep 5, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #925 of 1,386
Certainly could be good to keep both. You might find you enjoy them each somewhat equally for different reasons exactly because one will bring out some of the frequencies better than others, emphasizing different instruments. Then the HP150s are nice if you want to listen when someone else in the house is making noise.

Sep 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #927 of 1,386
More impressions comparing the HD600 to the HP150.

Overall, I like the HD600 better, something about the mids and highs (and soundstage).  The highs don't sound quite as harsh on the HD600.  But man, I do miss the bass hit that is there with the HP150.  The bass is not missing in the HD600, just does not have the deep down rumble and impact.  Now, if I could just get both in the same headphone, then it would be the end-all
biggrin.gif

I find myself wanting to swap headphones sometimes track to track, not just album to album.

Maybe the Nad Viso HP50 would give me everything. 

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #928 of 1,386

Overall, I like the HD600 better, something about the mids and highs (and soundstage).  The highs don't sound quite as harsh on the HD600.  But man, I do miss the bass hit that is there with the HP150.  The bass is not missing in the HD600, just does not have the deep down rumble and impact.  Now, if I could just get both in the same headphone, then it would be the end-all
biggrin.gif

I find myself wanting to swap headphones sometimes track to track, not just album to album.

Keep in mind that soundstage and bass impact are very affected by the open vs closed headphones.

So far, in my experience, the only way to get the best of both worlds is with planar magnetics like the HiFiMan or MrSpeakers headphones.

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #929 of 1,386

biggrin.gif

Keep in mind that soundstage and bass impact are very affected by the open vs closed headphones.

So far, in my experience, the only way to get the best of both worlds is with planar magnetics like the HiFiMan or MrSpeakers headphones.

You can find much more reviews about NAD HP50 than Soudmagic HP150... Almost everybody mentioned that NAD has highs with slightly roll-off, not so sparkle and lively. But bass should be very good...
...wish I could afford the Alpha Dog, however, it is way out of my budget... (amp is must)

Sep 11, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #930 of 1,386

You can find much more reviews about NAD HP50 than Soudmagic HP150... Almost everybody mentioned that NAD has highs with slightly roll-off, not so sparkle and lively. I am pretty sure that as to highs NAD can not compete to hd600. But bass should be very good...
...I wish I can afford the Alpha Dog, however, it is way out of my budget...

I recently discovered the HE-4 and I'm in love.  Not quite as neutral as the HP100, but the detail puts my Q701 (what I thought was a detail monster) to shame.  People don't tell to sell off their used ones, but if you can find em used they're usually in the low $300's range.  A steal at that price.  

I think the HE-500 is going to be more neutral if that's your thing (and given this is the HP100 thread, it probably is).  But that's up in the Alpha Dog price range so, yeah...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back