Soundcard Yes or No.
May 26, 2012 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

twiz 8

New Head-Fier
I am in the market for a E11 or something similar. When listining from my computer i will use my portable, will it benifit me to run this through an inexpensive sound card.
Do i game yes and will use harman/kardon sticks.

May 26, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 21
Quote:
I am in the market for a E11 or something similar. When listining from my computer I will use my portable, will it benefit me to run this through an inexpensive sound card.
Do i game yes and will use Harman/Kardon sticks.

A low cost sound card like the Asus Xonar DG or DGX will benefit the sound from your computer.
You can always hook the Fiio E11 up to the Xonar DG or DGX for even better sound.
Your using portable headphones with the computer? which model?

May 27, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 21
You can move up to the e17 which includes a high-res DAC which will out perform most any sound card and since it's electrically isolated from your noisy computer you get that benefit of an external DAC.  The amp (e11) is only going to amp the signal it gets so you need to start with a good signal.  My lowly e7 makes a very noticable difference over my computers sound card.

May 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 21
Twiz 8
External DACs and headphone amplifiers can provide some quality sound, but 95% of them come with zero surround sound (5.1 channel) or gaming support.
If you like gaming in 2.0 channel stereo sound, then that's fine.
The E11 and E17 are about equal amplifier wise and the E17 does come with a DAC (which the E11 does not).
It's $150 for the E17
Xonar DG ($30) and the Fiio E11 ($65), total cost $95

May 27, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
You can move up to the e17 which includes a high-res DAC which will out perform most any sound card and since it's electrically isolated from your noisy computer you get that benefit of an external DAC.

While electrical isolation from the computer can be useful in some cases, it is not true that a sound card necessarily has a low quality or noisy DAC. In fact, there are several - some even at fairly low cost - that have better DAC performance (including lower noise) than FiiO products. But sound cards rarely feature good headphone amplification, and an amplifier like the E11 can easily make a useful difference even with "easy to drive" headphones.

May 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 21
You can move up to the e17 which includes a high-res DAC which will out perform most any sound card and since it's electrically isolated from your noisy computer you get that benefit of an external DAC.  The amp (e11) is only going to amp the signal it gets so you need to start with a good signal.  My lowly e7 makes a very noticable difference over my computers sound card.

Ah no. ASUS xonar essence stx or st will outperform any fiio. But yes go with what purpleAngel and st014 say, they are correct

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
I play call of duty modern warfare. once i hook up my new video card i will be able to play others.

Arg, COD's audio and positioning is disgusting, I hate Origin with a passion but BF3's sound is just so damn good...

You want good positioning and imaging.

Personally I still think a Xonar ST/X + AKG K242HD(or K240mkII) + 2x THS4032 opamps (Or AD797, but its more unstable) in the I/V section, is a killer combination. 

You cant beat synergy, power (being relative), functionality, and great sound.

Jul 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
Arg, COD's audio and positioning is disgusting, I hate Origin with a passion but BF3's sound is just so damn good...

Please tell me BF3 has far better audio mixing than BF:BC2 did, because that game had no real directionality whatsoever. Even Mad Lust Envy agrees there, so it's probably an issue with the Frostbite engine's audio mixer.

Even then, while the sound effects themselves are great, I doubt the positional audio mixing itself will hold a candle to BF2 or BF2142. (And I really doubt the actual gameplay will surpass BF2...)

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Please tell me BF3 has far better audio mixing than BF:BC2 did, because that game had no real directionality whatsoever. Even Mad Lust Envy agrees there, so it's probably an issue with the Frostbite engine's audio mixer.

Even then, while the sound effects themselves are great, I doubt the positional audio mixing itself will hold a candle to BF2 or BF2142. (And I really doubt the actual gameplay will surpass BF2...)

I'm not a major gamer anymore, so can't really compare, but some friends (probably just talking kak) said the audio engine was a major focus for BF3, and IME it sounds damn aweum, and the directionality is great, way way wway better then COD:MW3, but can't compare to BF2

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 21
twiz 8, you can't go wrong with the Asus Sonus line of sound cards. Buy the best one you can afford and listen in a blissful state of happiness. Found on amazon.com all day. You won't be sorry. EarHead1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back