Soundcard for mid-fi headphones
Jun 27, 2012 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cheezburger

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm in need of a PCI soundcard to use with Sony MDR-ZX700 headphones. Currently I've got three variants: ASUS Xonar Essence ST, Xonar D2/PM or Xonar D1. I guess it is pretty clear how they compare to each other, and I can afford the ST, but I'm afraid it (or the D2) might be an overkill. What do you guys think I should get?

Thanks.

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm in need of a PCI sound card to use with Sony MDR-ZX700 headphones. Currently I've got three variants: ASUS Xonar Essence ST, Xonar D2/PM or Xonar D1. I guess it is pretty clear how they compare to each other, and I can afford the ST, but I'm afraid it (or the D2) might be an overkill. What do you guys think I should get?

Thanks.

All over kill, just get the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) or DGX (PCI-E) sound card.
I tried the Sony ZX700s at a local Sony store, nice sound.
Amazon and eBay seem to have the best prices.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PurpleAngel, thanks for your reply.
Any other opinions?

Just found out the ZX700s are only 24-Ohms, not really the best combo with sound cards, as most sound card have a high impedance.
If you need sound card features for gaming or movies, the Asus Xonar DG or DGX is still the best bet.
If just for music then the Fiio E10 (USB-DAC-Amp.).

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Just found out the ZX700s are only 24-Ohms, not really the best combo with sound cards, as most sound card have a high impedance.
If you need sound card features for gaming or movies, the Asus Xonar DG or DGX is still the best bet.
If just for music then the Fiio E10 (USB-DAC-Amp.).

What problems may I encounter while using ZX700 with soundcards?
I know about Fiio, but at the moment I can't shop online, I have to buy it locally. Also, I do quite a lot of gaming. I guess I'll get the DG then.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
What problems may I encounter while using ZX700 with soundcards?
I know about Fiio, but at the moment I can't shop online, I have to buy it locally. Also, I do quite a lot of gaming. I guess I'll get the DG then.

Sound card wise you really do not have much of a choice anyway.
The Sony ZX700 appears to be designed (Ohm) wise for mp3 player, IPod, cell phone, etc.
Just remmeber to put the DG's gain setting on the lowest (<32-Ohm).
Adding a small (Fiio E6?) portable amplifier (between the DG and ZX700), with their low impedance, might improve the sound over the DG.
Maybe find a good deal on a used Fiio E11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back