Soundcard/DAC + headphones for PC gaming and movies
Oct 13, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #62 of 114

I believe the T70p (32-Ohm) were designed for use with portable audio devices, working with weaker amplifiers, but maybe more demanding for current?
Where as the T70 (250-ohm) is expected to be used with more powerful amplifiers, more voltage and maybe less current.?

That is true the bayerdynamic website  says that the T70p is for phones, mp3 player and laptops. The T70 is for amps.

T70P could also come in handy with older soundcard setups where the amp isn't strong enough to drive headphones like the T70.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #64 of 114

I can understand that the NFB-15 isn't a downgrade compared to the STX, but how much of a difference will I really notice if I only play games and watch TV-series/movies with that setup?

Games and "regular"movies may not show much if any noticeable different, your too busy concentration with your eye and not so much your ears.
Blu-ray movies might be noticeable, but i think the really best reason for getting the Audio-GD is for music.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #65 of 114

Games and "regular"movies may not show much if any noticeable different, your too busy concentration with your eye and not so much your ears.
Blu-ray movies might be noticeable, but i think the really best reason for getting the Audio-GD is for music.

I was thinking the same, but then I read the following that makes me unsure.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1457427/usb-dac-vs-sound-card#post_21578190

"Sound blaster z (OEM if you want the cheapest route) And optical out to an external DAC/AMP. My z goes to an Audio GD 15.32 with dual wolfson DACs and a beefy custom amp section.
Its more expensive at roughly $400 but it'll blow away an STX or ZXR. High quality DAC and virtual surround."

Should one take the "blows the STX away" part with a grain of salt?

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #66 of 114

I was thinking the same, but then I read the following that makes me unsure.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1457427/usb-dac-vs-sound-card#post_21578190

"Sound blaster z (OEM if you want the cheapest route) And optical out to an external DAC/AMP. My z goes to an Audio GD 15.32 with dual wolfson DACs and a beefy custom amp section.
Its more expensive at roughly $400 but it'll blow away an STX or ZXR. High quality DAC and virtual surround."

Should one take the "blows the STX away" part with a grain of salt?

The specs on the NFB-15 is better then the STX and ZxR.
I would guess(?) internal sound card have to compromise a little in the design to make sure electrical noise is minimized with the sound card, graphics cards seem to one cause of noise issues with sound cards.
Where as with external DAC/amp, they maybe a little less restricted in the design process.

The SB-Z can on it's own decently drive 250-Ohm headphones, so you could skip on the NFB-15, for now.
Give you more time to think on it.

Oct 13, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #67 of 114

The specs on the NFB-15 is better then the STX and ZxR.
I would guess(?) internal sound card have to compromise a little in the design to make sure electrical noise is minimized with the sound card, graphics cards seem to one cause of noise issues with sound cards.
Where as with external DAC/amp, they maybe a little less restricted in the design process.

The SB-Z can on it's own decently drive 250-Ohm headphones, so you could skip on the NFB-15, for now.
Give you more time to think on it.

Yes, but the only thing the SB-Z got going for itself is the EAX, overall sound quality I prefer the STX instead. So if I want the EAX , I will definitly go for the NFB-15/11 paired with the SB-Z.

I got the option of buying a STX II and trying it out for a couple of days, see if I like it with the T70. If it's not to my liking I could return it and buy a NFB-15/11 instead?

Oct 13, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #68 of 114

Yes, but the only thing the SB-Z got going for itself is the EAX, overall sound quality I prefer the STX instead. So if I want the EAX , I will definitely go for the NFB-15/11 paired with the SB-Z.

I got the option of buying a STX II and trying it out for a couple of days, see if I like it with the T70. If it's not to my liking I could return it and buy a NFB-15/11 instead?

Cool.

Oct 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #70 of 114

I believe the T70p (32-Ohm) were designed for use with portable audio devices, working with weaker amplifiers, but maybe more demanding for current?
Where as the T70 (250-ohm) is expected to be used with more powerful amplifiers, more voltage and maybe less current.?

How forgiving did you find the T70 headphones were when you had it hooked up to your STX. Lets say if you played less than perfect audio files, maybe checked a music video out on youtube, etc. Did it sound awful and it forced you to only play perfect audio with highest bitrate and in lossless format?

Oct 14, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #72 of 114

How forgiving did you find the T70 headphones were when you had it hooked up to your STX. Lets say if you played less than perfect audio files, maybe checked a music video out on you tube, etc. Did it sound awful and it forced you to only play perfect audio with highest bitrate and in lossless format?

I believe the T70s sounded just fine hooked up to the Essence STX, I'm sure I listened to assorted music with that combo.
I'm sure I tried a few Blu-ray movies with them, hooked up to the NFB-15.32
The T70 has decent treble and bass, but it's the clarity of the T70, hooked up to really anything sounded good.
I usually listen to music files that are around 256k or sometimes FLAC, I do not really listen ever to my older lower bit rate stuff.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #74 of 114

I believe the T70s sounded just fine hooked up to the Essence STX, I'm sure I listened to assorted music with that combo.
I'm sure I tried a few Blu-ray movies with them, hooked up to the NFB-15.32
The T70 has decent treble and bass, but it's the clarity of the T70, hooked up to really anything sounded good.
I usually listen to music files that are around 256k or sometimes FLAC, I do not really listen ever to my older lower bit rate stuff.

I wonder how they would compare for gaming/movies with the momentums, I get the impression that the momentums might be more forgiving with lower bit rate audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back