Soundcard/DAC + headphones for PC gaming and movies
Oct 9, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #16 of 114
  Ofcourse I do :wink:
Ok so Im pretty much sold on the DAC you recommended, I hope it's not overkill for my purpose of mainly playing games and watching movies ?
Now, the only thing left is getting a pair of quality headphones that matches this setup, they must be closed cans. Any suggestions ?

Guess it depends on the budget and on what you can get locally or order off the Internet.
Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones (used around $160)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-technica-Audiophile-Closed-back-Dynamic-Headphones-Black-ATH-A900X-Japan-/390944376145?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item5b0619c551
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-technica-Dynamic-headphone-ATH-A900X-Freeshipping-/271156233110?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3f222bc396
Getting aftermarket Velour ear pads, like the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads helps hold the A900X headphones in place.

I really like my Audio Technica ATH-W1000X, but they sell for over $450.

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #17 of 114

Guess it depends on the budget and on what you can get locally or order off the Internet.
Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones (used around $160)
  Getting aftermarket Velour ear pads, like the Hifiman HE Velour ear pads helps hold the A900X headphones in place.

I really like my Audio Technica ATH-W1000X, but they sell for over $450.

That link you provided to the Ebay seller from Japan selling a brand new ATH-A900X had a really good price. They sell for 4 times that amount here in Sweden.

Would they still be a good match even if I stepped down to the GD 15 instead of the GD 11 ?

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 114
Yes. The NFB-15 is a very good DAC/amp. It will pair well with the headphones you have been looking at
smily_headphones1.gif

So the A900X would suit me if Im looking for headphones that have a warm yet clear midrange and a snappy bass, hate the booming kinda bass. 

A bit worried though about what some users wrote about the headphones not fitting and keeps fallling down?

Anyone tried the Denon AH-D7100 ?

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #20 of 114
Looked at some youtube vids of the A900X and are a bit worried about it's compability with the headphone stand I already ordered from Woo Audio HPS-R, due to the A900X not having a full headband arch. Will there be a problem with this combo ?

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #21 of 114

That link you provided to the Ebay seller from Japan selling a brand new ATH-A900X had a really good price. They sell for 4 times that amount here in Sweden.

Would they still be a good match even if I stepped down to the GD 15 instead of the GD 11 ?

The A900X was the headphones I normally used with my NFB-15.32, with music and Blu-ray movies, before getting the ATH-W1000Xs.
With the A900Xs, the music audio sometimes bleeds a little, but the the A900Xs over all is great for music audio.

If you stick to low impedance headphones, you might consider getting the FiiO E17 ($140), it comes with S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) input and can very easy drive 40-Ohm headphones (A900X)
Not sure what the price is in Europe for the E17.
I originally bought my NFB-15.32 because I have several 250-Ohm and 600-Ohm headphones, but I'm usually only using my 40-Ohm headphones at my PC
and usually use my 250-Ohm and 600-Ohm headphones plugged into my Yamaha receiver.

Oct 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #22 of 114
I'm pretty much set with the NFB-15 + SBZ solution, but I have to pass on the AH900X headphones as I really don't like their headband solution, it will give me headaches.

I need closed ones and they have to be really comfortable wearing, Im prepeared to pay up to 300-400 USD. but if you have any recommendations that are a bit more expensive than my limit I might stretch my wallet a bit further. They have to work good with the DAC solution above and not have a booming base, but rather a snappy one. Clear yet warm midrange. Good for games, movies and some music.

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 114
  I'm pretty much set with the NFB-15 + SB-Z solution, but I have to pass on the AH900X headphones as I really don't like their headband solution, it will give me headaches.

I need closed ones and they have to be really comfortable wearing, I'm prepared to pay up to 300-400 USD. but if you have any recommendations that are a bit more expensive than my limit I might stretch my wallet a bit further. They have to work good with the DAC solution above and not have a booming base, but rather a snappy one. Clear yet warm midrange. Good for games, movies and some music.

NFB-15 with SB-Z, cool.

Maybe the Beyerdynamic T70 or Mr Speaker's Mad dogs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311093040239?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
https://mrspeakers.com/product/mad-dog-leather-alpha-pads-comfort-strap/

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #26 of 114
  I'm digging both, damn this is hard. Are they both equal for my setup?

I own the T70 (not the T70p) and it's my preferred headphone for use with my Yamaha receiver, for Blu-ray and A&TT TV
When my original T70 "disappeared", I was thinking of getting the Mad Dogs or another T70, it was kind of 50/50, ended up getting another T70.
Maybe see if you can find a used mad dog for a good price.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #27 of 114

I own the T70 (not the T70p) and it's my preferred headphone for use with my Yamaha receiver, for Blu-ray and A&TT TV
When my original T70 "disappeared", I was thinking of getting the Mad Dogs or another T70, it was kind of 50/50, ended up getting another T70.
Maybe see if you can find a used mad dog for a good price.

Price is not really the issue for me in this case. I prefer the design of the T70, other advantages is that I can buy them from a trusted dealer where I live, plus the 2 year warranty.

So It looks like my shopping list is complete, thanks to you and cel4145!

NFB-15 + SB-Z + T70 :)

NFB-15 free custom option of 35w transformer upgrade is a no brainer, any of the other ones worth paying extra for like option 2: upgrading Toxo ?

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #28 of 114

Price is not really the issue for me in this case. I prefer the design of the T70, other advantages is that I can buy them from a trusted dealer where I live, plus the 2 year warranty.

So It looks like my shopping list is complete, thanks to you and cel4145!

NFB-15 + SB-Z + T70 :)

NFB-15 free custom option of 35w transformer upgrade is a no brainer, any of the other ones worth paying extra for like option 2: upgrading Toxo ?

I would say to get the TCXO, small price for an investment that should last for years.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #29 of 114

I would say to get the TCXO, small price for an investment that should last for years.

Then I'll add that one too.

Just one last question, is there any kind of DAC that holds up to the GD-15 both in price-performance, and can be bought on the western market preferably within the EU.
Read a bit about warranty on the Audio Gd homepage and it said that they offer 10 years of warranty BUT after the first year you pay for shipping costs both ways, could be expensive.

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #30 of 114
I don't think you can do better for the price for the NFB-11. In fact, even adding on $100 (to cover the possibility of warranty repair), I doubt you could do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back