Soundcard/DAC + headphones for PC gaming and movies
Oct 10, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #31 of 114
  Then I'll add that one too.
Just one last question, is there any kind of DAC that holds up to the GD-15 both in price-performance, and can be bought on the western market preferably within the EU.
Read a bit about warranty on the Audio Gd homepage and it said that they offer 10 years of warranty BUT after the first year you pay for shipping costs both ways, could be expensive.

I really doubt you would find anything in the EU close to what the NFB-15 offers and anywhere near what the NFB-15 costs.
Also on Head-Fi you really do not see any negative feedback (at least I do not) on Audio-GD, product or service wise.

You would pay around the same price for a EPH-02D1 (ODAC/O2) combo unit,
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2di-desktop-headphone-amplifierdac-3/
but it would only come with USB input and the S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) input on the NFB-15 works with sound card features (like headphone surround sound).
USB bypasses sound card features.

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #33 of 114

I really doubt you would find anything in the EU close to what the NFB-15 offers and anywhere near what the NFB-15 costs.
Also on Head-Fi you really do not see any negative feedback (at least I do not) on Audio-GD, product or service wise.

You would pay around the same price for a EPH-02D1 (ODAC/O2) combo unit,
but it would only come with USB input and the S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) input on the NFB-15 works with sound card features (like headphone surround sound).
USB bypasses sound card features.

Ok, Audio GD it is then , thank you !

Oct 11, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #34 of 114

Btw, I read one of your posts in another thread on this forum, where you wrote the following:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726420/audio-gd-nfb-11-or-audio-gd-nfb-15-with-sennheiser-hd700#post_10711181

"I was using an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card (AD797BR op-amps), before I ordered the NFB-15.32.
For me the NFB-15.32 offered several minor improvement, like a volume knob at my finger tips, really low output impedance for my low Ohm headphones."

Only minor improvments compared to the STX, does that take into account the overall sound quality?

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #36 of 114
  Btw, I read one of your posts in another thread on this forum, where you wrote the following:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/726420/audio-gd-nfb-11-or-audio-gd-nfb-15-with-sennheiser-hd700#post_10711181
"I was using an Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card (AD797BR op-amps), before I ordered the NFB-15.32.
For me the NFB-15.32 offered several minor improvement, like a volume knob at my finger tips, really low output impedance for my low Ohm headphones."
Only minor improvements compared to the STX, does that take into account the overall sound quality?

The Essence STX sells for $180 (USA) and the three AD797BR op-amps cost $56 (shipped from China), so $236 sound card verses $298 external DAC/amp.
I use to use a O2 amplifier plugged into my Essence STX's line-output (RCAs), which was nice for music or simple internet video, but bypasses the Essence STX's Dolby Headphone surround sound.
My preferred headphones are Audio Technica, which are usually around 40-Ohms and the O2 has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)
So the O2's 1-Ohm output impedance works a little better for my 40-Ohm headphones, over the STX's 10-Ohm output impedance.
So $180 sound card, $56 worth of op-amps and a $130 external amp, that's $366 for really nice sound, but can't use Dolby Headphone surround sound.

The NFB-15.32 with it's dual WM8741 DAC chips and being external gives a very "clean" sound.
The dual WM8741 DAC chips have a better SNR then the STX's PCM1792A single DAC chip.
I guess having each audio sound channel with it's own dedicated DAC chip (WM8741) helps keep the audio clean.

The NFB-15.32's 2-Ohm output impedance is practically the same as the O2 :)
I can plug the NFB-15.32's S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) into any sound card (I'm currently using an Xonar DS)
So I'm getting a very clean sound and still able to use all the sound card features.

I guess some day I should reinstall my STX and plug headphones directly into the STX and see how much my ears will notice a difference.

Oct 11, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #38 of 114

You own the NFB-11 and PurpleAngel kinda wished he spent the extra on the NFB-11 instead of the NFB-15. Is the NFB-11 worth the extra 85 USD ?

My reasoning was the NFB-15 is more musical, while the NFB-11 offers better detail (at least that is what they tell me).
My Audio Technica headphones are already musical, so I though more detail would have been my next step up.
But there are a few who prefer the NFB-15s more musical touch.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #39 of 114

The Essence STX sells for $180 (USA) and the three AD797BR op-amps cost $56 (shipped from China), so $236 sound card verses $298 external DAC/amp.
I use to use a O2 amplifier plugged into my Essence STX's line-output (RCAs), which was nice for music or simple internet video, but bypasses the Essence STX's Dolby Headphone surround sound.
My preferred headphones are Audio Technica, which are usually around 40-Ohms and the O2 has an output impedance of less then 1-Ohm :)
So the O2's 1-Ohm output impedance works a little better for my 40-Ohm headphones, over the STX's 10-Ohm output impedance.
So $180 sound card, $56 worth of op-amps and a $130 external amp, that's $366 for really nice sound, but can't use Dolby Headphone surround sound.

The NFB-15.32 with it's dual WM8741 DAC chips and being external gives a very "clean" sound.
The dual WM8741 DAC chips have a better SNR then the STX's PCM1792A single DAC chip.
I guess having each audio sound channel with it's own dedicated DAC chip (WM8741) helps keep the audio clean.

The NFB-15.32's 2-Ohm output impedance is practically the same as the O2 :)
I can plug the NFB-15.32's S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) into any sound card (I'm currently using an Xonar DS)
So I'm getting a very clean sound and still able to use all the sound card features.

I guess some day I should reinstall my STX and plug headphones directly into the STX and see how much my ears will notice a difference.

Thank you for all your information, I really appreciate it!

I have locked my choice for headphones and gonna go for the T70 250ohm, but I have three possible solutions for Soundcard/DAC, and they are:

1. Essence STX / STX II + op-amps upgrade if needed - 2 year warranty, can be bought locally, personal service and no shipping costs if repair is needed, no deskspace needed,  Cost: 207 / 274 USD + 56 USD if Op-amps upgrade is needed.

2. Audio GD NFB-15/11 - 1 year fully paid warranty, 9 years repair cost only covered, has to pay for shipping both ways. Cost: 270 / 355 USD + shipping 45 USD + SB-Z 100 USD

3. Schiit audio Modi + Asgard 2 -  5 years warranty, can be bought within Europe, cheap shipping costs, must abide by EU consumer laws.  Cost: 439 USD + shipping 25 USD + SB-Z 100 USD

Total cost, cheapest to most expensive option:

1. STX+Op-amp: 263 USD

2. STX II: 330 USD

3. NFB-15+SB-Z: 415 USD

4. NFB-11+SB-Z : 500 USD

5. Modi+Asgard2+SB-Z : 564 USD

Can't make up my mind...

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #41 of 114
I had the ODAC and the Asard 2 before NFB-11. Be aware that the Asgard 2 is a heater. Its class A design runs full out regardless of whether or not you have the volume turned all the way up.

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #43 of 114

And for the T70 headphones?

I really bought the Beyer T70 because I need closed headphones for plugging into my Yamaha RX-V671 receiver.
My apartment sometimes has too much noise from right outside the windows and the T70s have great clarity.
and 250-ohm headphone work well with the Yamaha's high output impedance headphone jack.
My 40-ohm A900Xs will not get loud plugged into the Yamaha.

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #44 of 114

I really bought the Beyer T70 because I need closed headphones for plugging into my Yamaha RX-V671 receiver.
My apartment sometimes has too much noise from right outside the windows and the T70s have great clarity.
and 250-ohm headphone work well with the Yamaha's high output impedance headphone jack.
My 40-ohm A900Xs will not get loud plugged into the Yamaha.

I wonder what's the best match for the T70 headphones - NFB-15 or NFB-11?

Oct 11, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #45 of 114
Ouch, that sounds bad. So it's even warmer than the Audio GD products then? How was sound quality compared to NFB-11?

The NFB-11 barely gets warm when not being used, so much better in that regard.

I think the NFB-11 is a bit of a step up in SQ over the ODAC/Asgard 2 (but that could be a personal preference thing). The amp seems a little more powerful. And it has more input options. If the same price, I'd give the NFB-11 the edge.

Note that most people consider the ODAC and Modi comparable in class.

I wonder what's the best match for the T70 headphones - NFB-15 or NFB-11?

Probably would come down more to a personal preference thing that you might find difficult to predict.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back