Soundcard/DAC + headphones for PC gaming and movies
Oct 17, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #76 of 114
  Two other combo options I would appreciate some feedback on!
T70 + NFB 11 or 15 
Vs
SRH1540 + NFB 11 or 15
Any opinions?

The Shure would be so easy to drive, you could just get a FiiO E17 DAC/amp, $140.

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #77 of 114

The Shure would be so easy to drive, you could just get a FiiO E17 DAC/amp, $140.

Only problem is that the Fiio E17 doesn't seem to provide me with the optical input I desire for EAX sourround from an internal card such as the SB-Z.

The more time I spend on this forum reading, the more uncertain I get as to what headphones+DAC/amp to get in the end
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #78 of 114
Btw, found this post about NFB-11 and clicking relay sound that got me a bit worried.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730709/is-the-audio-gd-nfb-11-2014-a-clear-improvement-over-the-ehp-o2-o2-odac-driving-an-he-500#post_10941691

"Everytime I pause and play a song, a relay sounds. This causes a continuous 'clic', 'clic', 'clic', when I'm pausing and playing. Also when pressing play after a pause, along with the annoying 'clics', 0.5 seconds of music are lost until the relay allows the sound signal pass again. I hate this behaviour."

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #79 of 114

Only problem is that the Fiio E17 doesn't seem to provide me with the optical input I desire for EAX surround from an internal card such as the SB-Z.
The more time I spend on this forum reading, the more uncertain I get as to what headphones+DAC/amp to get in the end
confused_face(1).gif

The SB-Z does all the EAX surround sound processing and then sends that processed headphone surround sound thru optical to the E17 (E17 has USB, optical & coaxial inputs).
The SB-Z takes in 6-channels of audio and converts it to 2-channel virtual headphone surround sound, so the E17 does on have to do any surround sound processing itself.
The E17 takes in the 2-channels of (digital) headphone surround sound, runs the digital audio signal thru it's DAC, converting it to a analog audio signal, which is then sent to the E17's headphone amplifier.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #80 of 114
  Btw, found this post about NFB-11 and clicking relay sound that got me a bit worried.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/730709/is-the-audio-gd-nfb-11-2014-a-clear-improvement-over-the-ehp-o2-o2-odac-driving-an-he-500#post_10941691

"Everytime I pause and play a song, a relay sounds. This causes a continuous 'clic', 'clic', 'clic', when I'm pausing and playing. Also when pressing play after a pause, along with the annoying 'clics', 0.5 seconds of music are lost until the relay allows the sound signal pass again. I hate this behaviour."

I do not have any issues like that with my one year old NFB-15.32.

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #81 of 114

The SB-Z does all the EAX surround sound processing and then sends that processed headphone surround sound thru optical to the E17 (E17 has USB, optical & coaxial inputs).
The SB-Z takes in 6-channels of audio and converts it to 2-channel virtual headphone surround sound, so the E17 does on have to do any surround sound processing itself.
The E17 takes in the 2-channels of (digital) headphone surround sound, runs the digital audio signal thru it's DAC, converting it to a analog audio signal, which is then sent to the E17's headphone amplifier.

Yes you are right, I can see now by closer examination that the E17 have some kind of adapter plug input for the optical cable, thanks for clearing that one out!

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #82 of 114

I do not have any issues like that with my one year old NFB-15.32.

Good to hear, I guess the NFB-11 and NFB-15 are nearly identical except for the DA chip?

Just thought it a bit of odd solution that Kingwa gave him to his clicky relay problem.

"Kingwa already gave me a solution for (2). I must open the equipment and cut a cable to disable the relay. One day I will do so, and I thank Kingwa for the solution, but opening and cutting cables is not what I expect from a brand new product."

Btw, there isn't much of a price difference between the T70 and the T90, I know the T90 are open cans and wonder if you have had any experience with them?

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #83 of 114
  Good to hear, I guess the NFB-11 and NFB-15 are nearly identical except for the DA chip?
Just thought it a bit of odd solution that Kingwa gave him to his clicky relay problem.
"Kingwa already gave me a solution for (2). I must open the equipment and cut a cable to disable the relay. One day I will do so, and I thank Kingwa for the solution, but opening and cutting cables is not what I expect from a brand new product."
Btw, there isn't much of a price difference between the T70 and the T90, I know the T90 are open cans and wonder if you have had any experience with them?

I only have the T70.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #87 of 114
  Ok, thanks!
New T70's go for 486 USD here in Sweden, while I can get new T90's for 513 USD. I have never had an experience with open headphones and wonder if it would get annoying with outside noise. Also really don't know how much sound they leak.

Open headphones are usually not bothersome to others, at least in a home setting and the other people are in other rooms.
I lived in an apartment, with neighbors kids playing just outside my windows, had to use the closed T70s to block the noise.

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #88 of 114

Open headphones are usually not bothersome to others, at least in a home setting and the other people are in other rooms.
I lived in an apartment, with neighbors kids playing just outside my windows, had to use the closed T70s to block the noise.

I think Im more drawn to the closed ones, even though there are a few claims that the T90 is the better one.

Oct 18, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #90 of 114
I think it is very transparent, producing an accurate sound signature. I don't like "colored" amps
smily_headphones1.gif

That's what I have read too. I have also read some posts where people ask advice as to what headphones to pair with what Audio-Gd product, they often get the recommendation that if the headphones is more "bright" and clinical to go for the more warm sounding NFB-15. And if you have a more warm sounding headphone to go for the NFB-11. Me personally would pick the NFB-11 if I gonna pull the trigger on an external dac/Amp, just a bit worried that it might be bad to pair a clinical headphone like the T70 with a clinical Dac/Amp like the NFB-11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back