Soundcard/DAC + headphones for PC gaming and movies
Oct 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #48 of 114
The NFB-11 barely gets warm when not being used, so much better in that regard.

I think the NFB-11 is a bit of a step up in SQ over the ODAC/Asgard 2 (but that could be a personal preference thing). The amp seems a little more powerful. And it has more input options. If the same price, I'd give the NFB-11 the edge.

Note that most people consider the ODAC and Modi comparable in class.
Probably would come down more to a personal preference thing that you might find difficult to predict.

Ok, I'll pass on Modi/Asgard2 then. Some claim that the NFB-11 is more harsh/brighter sounding than the warmer sounding NFB-15. Wouldn't that make the T70 headhphones better paired with the NFB-15?

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #50 of 114

My reasoning was the NFB-15 is more musical, while the NFB-11 offers better detail (at least that is what they tell me).
My Audio Technica headphones are already musical, so I though more detail would have been my next step up.
But there are a few who prefer the NFB-15s more musical touch.

I was just afraid to pair a bright sounding T70 with a bright sounding NFB-11, btw is there any advantage in buying the T70 over the T70P, if you have the amp to drive them both. I also read good things about the AKG K550, its half the price of the T70, is the T70 still the better pick?

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #52 of 114
I read a lot about the T70 before buying. The T70 p are for portable use because it is lower Ohm. I have a tube amp so I need a higher Ohm headphone like the T70.  Also, the T7 have a much longer cable than the T70p.

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #53 of 114
  I read a lot about the T70 before buying. The T70 p are for portable use because it is lower Ohm. I have a tube amp so I need a higher Ohm headphone like the T70.  Also, the T7 have a much longer cable than the T70p.

Yup, I know about the lower Ohm, just wonder if there are any pros or cons in picking any of the models before the other one, if you can run the higher Ohm. The longer cable is a bonus though :)

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #54 of 114
I was looking at your sound card specifications got this line directly off the ASUS website. "Top-notch headphone amplifier supports up to 600ohm-headphone impedance".  You pronely already know this, but thought I would throw it out there  just incase. Also, from a fellow PC enthusiast to, probably, another "nice component!" 

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #55 of 114
Ok, I'll pass on Modi/Asgard2 then. Some claim that the NFB-11 is more harsh/brighter sounding than the warmer sounding NFB-15. Wouldn't that make the T70 headhphones better paired with the NFB-15?

I haven't felt it to be harsh or bright sounding. Seems accurate and very resolving to me. :)

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #56 of 114
  I was looking at your sound card specifications got this line directly off the ASUS website. "Top-notch headphone amplifier supports up to 600ohm-headphone impedance".  You pronely already know this, but thought I would throw it out there  just incase. Also, from a fellow PC enthusiast to, probably, another "nice component!" 

Yup, they will drive the headphones no problem. Only thing I can't decide if it's worth going the NFB-11/15 route instead of the STX?

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #57 of 114
I haven't felt it to be harsh or bright sounding. Seems accurate and very resolving to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good to hear, read some post that claimed the opposite. Just got worried and thought the T70 was a better match with the warmer sounding NFB-15.

Question is, will I really notice that big of a difference with STX II Vs NFB 11/15 in games and movies?

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #58 of 114

Yup, they will drive the headphones no problem. Only thing I can't decide if it's worth going the NFB-11/15 route instead of the STX?

I have no regrets replacing my Essence STX (with AD797BR op-amps) with the Audio-GD NFB-15.32.

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #59 of 114

Yup, I know about the lower Ohm, just wonder if there are any pros or cons in picking any of the models before the other one, if you can run the higher Ohm. The longer cable is a bonus though :)

I believe the T70p (32-Ohm) were designed for use with portable audio devices, working with weaker amplifiers, but maybe more demanding for current?
Where as the T70 (250-ohm) is expected to be used with more powerful amplifiers, more voltage and maybe less current.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back