Sound Science Corner Pub
May 13, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #586 of 705
So, I've deleted 2 threads in a few days now. The why, probably isn't a huge mystery to those who were reading those threads. I'm not a fan of such heavy moves in general, but once the OP himself turns into the final boss with very many posts that shouldn't exist, I can ban him from his own thread(weird) and painfully take out all the offensive stuff one by one, then check where it was quoted. Or I can press "delete thread" and be done.
I guess what I'm saying is, I'm lazy. I'm sorry for those who had posted relevant content, you're the victims of my "soft and precise" approach.

May 13, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #587 of 705
So, I've deleted 2 threads in a few days now. The why, probably isn't a huge mystery to those who were reading those threads. I'm not a fan of such heavy moves in general, but once the OP himself turns into the final boss with very many posts that shouldn't exist, I can ban him from his own thread(weird) and painfully take out all the offensive stuff one by one, then check where it was quoted. Or I can press "delete thread" and be done.
I guess what I'm saying is, I'm lazy. I'm sorry for those who had posted relevant content, you're the victims of my "soft and precise" approach.

Absolutely the right call.

May 13, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #588 of 705
Many of my posts got deleted in the process. I am lazy too. Why bother contribute to this forum at all if complete threads can be gone just because the OP doesn't behave?

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 5:34 AM Post #589 of 705
I'm sorry for those who had posted relevant content, you're the victims of my "soft and precise" approach.
No problem. I gave the OP the benefit of the doubt to begin with but then he blew it up with claims of Woke Nazis and non-vaccinated Jewish Christians (or something), demonstrating the original post was just a troll prelude.

G

May 13, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #590 of 705
PLEASE don’t let trolls get that far. Use temporary thread bans to enforce civility. These guys telegraphed where they were headed from the very beginning.

If someone starts out rejecting sound science as a concept and as a forum, and immediately starts getting aggressive with regular posters here, they don’t belong in this forum. If they don’t listen and are dismissive of facts, they won’t add anything of value to the discussion. Light weeding with temporary thread bans will show them from the start that monkeying around won’t be allowed. They’ll toe the line to avoid three day and seven day thread bans, and we won’t have to engage the nuclear option like this. Just stopping a run of posts and forcing them to wait till the next day to post again will help. Little actions up front will prevent big ones at the end.

This kind of discipline won’t deter honest posters who aren’t dogmatic and are willing to participate on topic and with respect.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #591 of 705
Many of my posts got deleted in the process. I am lazy too. Why bother contribute to this forum at all if complete threads can be gone just because the OP doesn't behave?

Because without the garbage that bound all the more worthwhile and meaningful responses together the responses no longer have any context.

May 13, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #592 of 705
Because without the garbage that bound all the more worthwhile and meaningful responses together the responses no longer have any context.
Really? If I debunk false claims about digital audio with facts, how does those facts lose their validity if the false claims go away? Can't we debunk anything anymore? What are we supposed to do here? Why do we have to get rid of garbage? Deleting posts don't change the minds of those who wrote those posts. They still believe in the garbage! We only removed the debunking process that might have changes their mind.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #593 of 705
PLEASE don’t let trolls get that far. Use temporary thread bans to enforce civility. These guys telegraphed where they were headed from the very beginning.

If someone starts out rejecting sound science as a concept and as a forum, and immediately starts getting aggressive with regular posters here, they don’t belong in this forum. Light weeding with temporary thread bans will show them from the start that monkeying around won’t be allowed. They’ll toe the line to avoid three day and Sven day thread bans.

A quick look at a thread that Sunjam was involved with earlier (iFi Audio Zen Dac 3) immediately indicated his disdain for ASR, how he was banned there and clearly pointed out the direction his own thread was going to take.

I quick look at his very brief posting history here would have been a very worthwhile few moments on behalf of admin.

May 13, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #594 of 705
May 13, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #595 of 705
Really? If I debunk false claims about digital audio with facts, how does those facts lose their validity if the false claims go away?

I get your point of course but if the original comment is gone and the quote as well your response is a standalone post with no context.

That might not always be the case but I get @castleofargh objection to wading through the nonsense to weed out what is worth leaving and what is worthwhile without context.

You are of course welcome to disagree but that is how I see it.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #596 of 705
I get your point of course but if the original comment is gone and the quote as well your response is a standalone post with no context.

You are of course welcome to disagree but that is how I see it.
Why was the thread allowed to grow? Why wasn't it deleted immediately before people wasted days with it?

May 13, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #597 of 705
Sorry to chime in here not knowing much about the original problem, but one thing I want to stress here: Unfortunately you open the door to someone with bad intentions who just wants to sabotage a thread in order to be completely deleted by a mod. This would give them 100% success rate all the time.

May 13, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #598 of 705
Exactly. It shouldn’t have been allowed to get that out of hand.

Imagine sound science where we don’t have to constantly debunk basic concepts that are self evident… a forum where we discuss sound science, not do battles with trolls all the time. I can imagine what that would be like. It would be good if the admins could too.

In the past we’ve been criticized for replying to trolls as if it’s our fault they’re here. That obviously isn’t true. Even if we didn’t reply, these guys would dominate threads posting five or six or ten posts in a row full of disrespect and bait. The problem is them, not us. We have a right to be frustrated.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #599 of 705
Why was the thread allowed to grow? Why wasn't it deleted immediately before people wasted days with it?

Indeed, that is the other version of events that could have transpired.

My assumption is if deleting troublesome threads becomes to commonplace that reflects badly on the Sound Science forum in general and the regular switched on guys such as yourself more specifically. You know how others will see it …. “over there if they don’t like what you say they will just delete you”.

Like I said, just my opinion. I like the conversation here but don’t have the technical savvy to contribute much in that regard so it doesn’t really bother me if some comments from me are deleted but I understand your objection.

May 13, 2024 at 5:56 AM Post #600 of 705
Exactly. It shouldn’t have been allowed to get that out of hand.

Imagine sound science where we don’t have to constantly debunk basic concepts that are self evident… a forum where we discuss sound science, not do battles with trolls all the time. I can imagine what that would be like. It would be good if the admins could too.

I am sure there are a group of folks that come here just to argue because the general content here flies in the face of everything they hold true as the basis for their audio obsession.

Unfortunately as one goes another comes along to replace them.

I don’t think that can ever be avoided, it just seems to be human nature for small minded individuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back