Sound Science Corner Pub
Feb 15, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #91 of 585
I had Marvin Gaye's bass player visit me at my house for a movie the other night. He's the real deal. He toured with Elton John and George Michael too. That authentic R&B/Soul sound is at the root of most pop music since the 80s. It's just that some performers bland it down a lot.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #92 of 585
I had Marvin Gaye's bass player visit me at my house for a movie the other night. He's the real deal. He toured with Elton John and George Michael too. That authentic R&B/Soul sound is at the root of most pop music since the 80s. It's just that some performers bland it down a lot.
Wow...nice!Thinking Elton played for some massive audiences!It does seem like one generation comes up with a cool, unique sound and the next makes a Macdonalds like version of it...and makes a huge profit lol.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #93 of 585
Traditionally it's been that black artists come up with a sound and a white artist pillages it to release to white audiences. Think Glenn Miller and Pat Boone and early Beatles and Justin Bieber.

Feb 15, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #94 of 585
Traditionally it's been that black artists come up with a sound and a white artist pillages it to release to white audiences. Think Glenn Miller and Pat Boone and early Beatles and Justin Bieber.
So true, but within the last century I think. There were influences in rock, and other genres. Black folks were probably less inhibited in expression. New expressions doesn't come from correct.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #95 of 585
Wow...nice!Thinking Elton played for some massive audiences!It does seem like one generation comes up with a cool, unique sound and the next makes a Macdonalds like version of it...and makes a huge profit lol.
I don't know how it was for others, but in France in the 50s/60s and less in the 70s, some of the most famous local artists were almost exclusively interprets who would go to the US, pick a successful song, translate it poorly or just put random lyrics over it, and "make" a great hit back home. at the time without internet and all that, few people knew the original songs, so most were happy and proud of our local talents. and I'm not talking about 2 or 3 songs here and there, a guy like Johnny Hallyday who died not long ago, interpreted more than 200 songs directly picked somewhere else with French lyrics over it.

this has given birth to more than a few hilarious inter generational arguments: "music nowadays is only a bad copy of older great stuff"(stuff like that was probably already going on in ancient Egypt^_^), where people would list those great US hit translators as what was real art and creativity back in the days ^_^.
to put it in context, it would be as if the guys criticizing the lack of creativity of modern artists using samples of old hits, would quote the Fugees version of "Killing me softly", and Coolio's "Gangsta paradise" as the models of creativity we should all aspire to find.

of course sometimes it went the other way around and Elvis or Sinatra would interpret something coming from France, but I don't need to tell you that it was very anecdotal in that direction. :) anyway this all thing doesn't stop me from having my favorite periods and bands, but it did make me very cautious when expressing my views on what is or isn't good music or "real art".

Feb 16, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #96 of 585
So true, but within the last century I think. There were influences in rock, and other genres. Black folks were probably less inhibited in expression. New expressions doesn't come from correct.

There are always exception to the rule... Elvis, Gershwin, Janis Joplin, etc. I think there was genuineness in Lonnie Donnigan.

Killing Me Softly is one of the funniest songs ever written. Just read those lyrics! When I go to Karaoke bars, I sing that with a Peter Lorre impression.

France was better at interpreting American musical forms (Django) and providing a safe haven for American performers (Josephine Baker) than it was at coming up with original styles. France's contribution to music is that accordion and heart on the sleeve singing from the 30s. I think that is very important, but it was uniquely French and didn't export well.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #98 of 585
There are always exception to the rule... Elvis, Gershwin, Janis Joplin, etc. I think there was genuineness in Lonnie Donnigan.

Killing Me Softly is one of the funniest songs ever written. Just read those lyrics! When I go to Karaoke bars, I sing that with a Peter Lorre impression.

France was better at interpreting American musical forms (Django) and providing a safe haven for American performers (Josephine Baker) than it was at coming up with original styles. France's contribution to music is that accordion and heart on the sleeve singing from the 30s. I think that is very important, but it was uniquely French and didn't export well.
Yep...no blues=no rock n roll.Most of my listening finds me going from 1 style of music to another because what I'm listening to reminds me of something else from another era.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #99 of 585
It is my understanding that Elvis was influenced by black music during his youth.

"He was a regular audience member at the monthly All-Night Singings downtown, where many of the white gospel groups that performed reflected the influence of African American spiritual music.[38] He adored the music of black gospel singer Sister Rosetta Tharpe.[35] Like some of his peers, he may have attended blues venues—of necessity, in the segregated South, only on nights designated for exclusively white audiences.[39] He certainly listened to the regional radio stations, such as WDIA-AM, that played "race records": spirituals, blues, and the modern, backbeat-heavy sound of rhythm and blues.[40] Many of his future recordings were inspired by local African American musicians such as Arthur Crudup and Rufus Thomas.[41][42] B.B. King recalled that he had known Presley before he was popular, when they both used to frequent Beale Street.[43] By the time he graduated from high school in June 1953, Presley had already singled out music as his future."

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #100 of 585
It is my understanding that Elvis was influenced by black music during his youth.

"He was a regular audience member at the monthly All-Night Singings downtown, where many of the white gospel groups that performed reflected the influence of African American spiritual music.[38] He adored the music of black gospel singer Sister Rosetta Tharpe.[35] Like some of his peers, he may have attended blues venues—of necessity, in the segregated South, only on nights designated for exclusively white audiences.[39] He certainly listened to the regional radio stations, such as WDIA-AM, that played "race records": spirituals, blues, and the modern, backbeat-heavy sound of rhythm and blues.[40] Many of his future recordings were inspired by local African American musicians such as Arthur Crudup and Rufus Thomas.[41][42] B.B. King recalled that he had known Presley before he was popular, when they both used to frequent Beale Street.[43] By the time he graduated from high school in June 1953, Presley had already singled out music as his future."
His biggest hits where written by Otis Blackwell....a black blues singer.

Feb 17, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #102 of 585
Yeah, I recall reading a story about him when I was in grade school, and I recall it was about Elvis and I think that may have been the story.
I absolutely love the Stones,Zepplin,Cream,Clapton,Doors,The who ect,but non of them have ever had a problem giving praise to the blues performers that they where inspired by.The stones have made a point of getting big name blues guys on stage with them so they get the recognition and money they deserve(muddy waters,buddy guy ect)

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #104 of 585
don't forget Forrest Gump's influence on Elvis.

I'll show myself out...

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #105 of 585
For the past week or so, I've been tweaking my high end EQ on the right channel. Today it really started irking me that it was shifting out of spec and I still heard imbalances in the high end. So I went and shoved my ear into my speakers and I discovered that one of my tower speakers had some loose screws attaching the faceplate around the tweeter. I could detect a buzzing vibration and I was reading that is overdriving. I got out a phillips head and tightened the screws and I could boost the level back up to balanced without buzzing. It pays to stick your head up against each speaker every once in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back