Sound Science Corner Pub
Apr 17, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #541 of 585
I played some classical guitar. I was terrible. IMHO. One of life’s lessons—some people can run faster and jump higher and that’s just the way it is. But I don’t love music (or life) any less for it. :)

I saw Segovia once.

Actually my favorite guitar is jazz guitar by a long shot. I also played jazz guitar terribly. IMHO.
One thing I did learn while actually having lessons from a student that was "real" classical method is that it is a really eclectic form. Before that, I had taken "classical guitar" from a violist in grad school. When I hit the actual "true" classical guitar, I had to unlearn things (the way you form your hands are completely different than any other method). But you start understanding about how you don't have a lose left hand, but have it close to the neck to be able to extend all your fingers, and ways of growing out your right hand fingernails.

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #543 of 585
And I spend New Years Eve with Cheap Trick in 1978/79

Interesting, a concert when I was born. Can't listen to the video...that constant high pitch is aggravating. One blu-ray I have is Queen at Montreal. It includes a bonus of Live Aid. The video quality of it is pretty poor (it was recorded on SD video tape), yet the audio is great (it must have been from good quality audio tape). Yet then I also recently watched a documentary on Netflix about the Boston marathon bombings. They showed footage from cell phones that had poor audio until times there was an explosion (and then suddenly my surround system picked up on all my surround speakers and subwoofer). Just sort of interesting what does get mixed.

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #544 of 585
I saw Sade about a year before they hit the big time, at Ronnie Scott’s in London, in 1982.

They always had a reel to reel deck running at Ronnie Scott’s, to record whatever was going on.

Here’s some Hifi for you!!

Night. 🙂

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 3:20 AM Post #545 of 585
I saw Sade about a year before they hit the big time, at Ronnie Scott’s in London, in 1982.

They always had a reel to reel deck running at Ronnie Scott’s, to record whatever was going on.

Night. 🙂

Oh thanks, now you want me to look up bootlegs for Sade 😀. I do have a blu-ray of her (so many BDs are just the best for getting a sense of "live" even though the surround and camera angles are better than live). Growing up, I was chasing bootlegs of U2 and Police, and now more of those tracks have made it to special releases. After I moved to Atlanta, I did catch a nice alt/punk band called Hot Young Priest. Even though they were good (with a strong lead singer), they just eventually disbanded and there's one of their albums on Apple Music (even though they had some better tracks). Don't know if music or film are any different as far as what gets picked up and what gets lost due to popularity and survival.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #546 of 585
Oh thanks, now you want me to look up bootlegs for Sade 😀. I do have a blu-ray of her (so many BDs are just the best for getting a sense of "live" even though the surround and camera angles are better than live). Growing up, I was chasing bootlegs of U2 and Police, and now more of those tracks have made it to special releases. After I moved to Atlanta, I did catch a nice alt/punk band called Hot Young Priest. Even though they were good (with a strong lead singer), they just eventually disbanded and there's one of their albums on Apple Music (even though they had some better tracks). Don't know if music or film are any different as far as what gets picked up and what gets lost due to popularity and survival.

Some of my musical heroes did their thing before I was born or died before I got to see them. YouTube is a treasure trove for me to actually get to watch them play, their demeanor, their technique, etc.

Honestly, I can dig this on my iPad. No Hifi necessary. 🙂

Apr 17, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #547 of 585
Some of my musical heroes did their thing before I was born or died before I got to see them. YouTube is a treasure trove for me to actually get to watch them play, their demeanor, their technique, etc.

Honestly, I can dig this on my iPad. No Hifi necessary. 🙂

Absolutely, and why I'm fluid about liking classical, jazz, new forms of alternative and electronica....and how there's often a great melding of them. I have heard recent alternative/electronic bands re-interpreting classical music. My general internet browsing computer is a Macbook laptop: it has fairly good speakers for a thin laptop. And it's enough for me to get ringing in the ears for a high enough ringing like the Cheap Trick video clip.

Edit, as example of newer electronic going to classical:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #548 of 585

Night. 🙂

So that was torture. Didn't know it was possible to listen to Sade and feel anything other than pure love.
If it was done on purpose, I guess it might almost rival

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #549 of 585
^^^ Lamb are probably my favourite Drum and Bass outfit.
Fear of Fours, whilst not my favourite album, gets a lot of play when learning what my kit can do...

I say this due to overhearing 'others' conversations whilst getting my drink at the bar.

Having found a table, and seat;

My uber turned up faster than the app suggested, apols for leaving abruptly.
(wind over mic eases off after a minute too,)(or not.../maybe)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 3:47 AM Post #550 of 585
What other hobbies do folks have? My hobby is collecting hobbies. I have collections of antique illustrated books, animation art, circus posters, pocket knives, garden gnomes, serial killer souvenirs, rocks, manga, Japanese woodblock prints, DVDs and blu-rays, books and magazines on art, architecture and cartooning, newspaper Sunday funny pages, celebrity autographs, guitars, indoor hydroponic gardening, BBQ and smoking, cooking, small dogs, (note the comma! I don't cook small dogs!) art how to books, comic books, LPs and 78s, antique phonographs, sheet music, kachina dolls, aviation prints from the 50s and animation maquettes. I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of. I inherited my dad's predilection for collecting hobbies and I think I might have surpassed his number now.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #551 of 585
The digital transport threads appear to have been hidden from the forum list

Apr 22, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #552 of 585
What kind of BBQ? I bought a smoker to be able to get my NC style pulled pork fix (NC being a vinegar sauce). Other more interesting hobbies are designing objects and 3D printing them. Also homebrewing: I've noticed most people get really interested in how beer is made.

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #553 of 585
Photography, chess, working out/fitness (though it hardly shows), and, in phases, listening to music and playing music badly, reading slowly (mostly history & finance), being out in nature and bird stuff (yeah I’m getting old), that’s the main types of things. 🙂 And kind of checking out different types of neural network / AI softwares in a number of different ways.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #554 of 585
Apr 22, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #555 of 585
What other hobbies do folks have? My hobby is collecting hobbies. I have collections of antique illustrated books, animation art, circus posters, pocket knives, garden gnomes, serial killer souvenirs, rocks, manga, Japanese woodblock prints, DVDs and blu-rays, books and magazines on art, architecture and cartooning, newspaper Sunday funny pages, celebrity autographs, guitars, indoor hydroponic gardening, BBQ and smoking, cooking, small dogs, (note the comma! I don't cook small dogs!) art how to books, comic books, LPs and 78s, antique phonographs, sheet music, kachina dolls, aviation prints from the 50s and animation maquettes. I'm sure there are more I'm not thinking of. I inherited my dad's predilection for collecting hobbies and I think I might have surpassed his number now.
I like sleeping and being in water (sadly, the 2 activities don't mix so well). I like those 2 things even more than potatoes. ^_^
I tend to be fully passionate and focused on one activity. I obsess over it and usually care for little else, until the day comes when it finally disgusts me (also mostly how I consume music). Then I move on to something new.
Nowadays, I somehow end up worrying about time management too much, and I refrain from doing a lot of what I'd like to do because of how much time it's going to take and how many other things I would have to sacrifice in my allocated 24h/day (but of course I cannot sacrifice sleep!!!!!!!! Never!!!!). I don't know exactly when I started weighing how time-consuming an activity was against how much I enjoyed it. Maybe it's what people call being an adult and I finally became one so late in life? IDK, but it sucks.

Recently, I've been spending a little too much of my free time fooling around with Fusion360(some free CAD software) to try and "master" using it. Someone will practice painting or playing the guitar to relax, right now I practice CAD...:sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back