Sound Leakage on Sennheiser HD-555
May 18, 2011 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Staple2

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm new, and I will probably only be posting in this one thread

I know it's cheap to come abuse your pretty forums like this, but I'm desperate mmkay :)

I'm poor. I don't have lots of money. I saved up a lot for the Sennheiser HD-555, which I will be using to play games, music and movies. I've just come off a pair of Aerial7 Chopper2s (surprisingly good). HD-555s are a huge improvement over the Choppers? Yes?

I'll be using them for the next year at least, on an integrated sound card (i just killed a puppy) namely a Realtek® ALC887, and no amp. Hopefully one day, when I'm rich and all grown-up, I'll be able to buy myself a dedicated sound card. Something shiny, preferably.

Worth the buy?

And then my last question, the most important of the lot, how bad is the actual sound leaking? I've read tons and tons of reviews (and actually a couple of threads on here as well) regarding this and everything states things like "people will be able to hear what your listening to from a few feet away" or on "moderate volume." Being a retard, I need a more personalized answer.

For the next 18 months at least, I will be using it at home, in my room where no one ever visits me because I have no friends, with the door closed so I can't hear the sound of my father hitting my mother. The rooms adjacent to mine are a bathroom and my sister's room respectively (not the same you idiot). At night, when all is quiet and my mother has stopped crying, I tend to still listen to music/play games. Preferably at an audible level. Will my sister, sleeping, or someone trying to take a dump, hear the sounds when I've got my headphones on a good volume?

And, if someone is in the same room as me - lets hope this does happen sometime - let's say, a living room, and I play my musics at a comfortable level will they hear?

That is all.

May 18, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 7
Nice post.

May 18, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #3 of 7
You can probably find lots of information on amping the HD 555 if you search a little.
And aren't DAC's and headphone amps superior to computer sound cards in terms of both price and performance?

Regarding sound leakage, it all depends on how thick your walls are and your door, what you listen to and how loud you listen. With my HD 600, the sound leakage is well, like you can expect from an open headphone. If I turn up the volume to what I regard as a suitable listening volume, it's easily audible beyond my door. But not so much it can be heard in other rooms. If someone's in the same room as you, they can hear it well. You can easily test it yourself when you get them, though. And maybe return it if your father might end up beating you up.

Also, is it necessary to mention facts of your private life? Your questions would do well without them, and I'm sure it would encourage more answers as your posts pessimistic nature surely is discouraging.

May 18, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 7
What I meant was, are the HD 555s still worth buying if I'll be using them on an intergrated sound card? Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty noob at all this, so this will sound incredibly stupid. But the headphones will not disturb the family as much as my current desktop speakers, at similar volumes? I know what open/closed means, I've just never had open headphones, so I'm not sure exactly how much the difference is in audible disturbance.

I thought my private life would make me more likable, but I guess my father was right, I should just shutup and take the beating.

May 18, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes, the HD 555's are easily driven. Worth it even if you use them with an integrated sound card...
And of course, the headphones would disturb less than speakers. They are after all just hanging outside your ears. Obviously, less volume should be required.

May 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 7
Cool. So I'm guessing they wouldn't need to go up to the volume I have my speakers at because they're right next to my ear, and they block more noise (obviously) than the speakers. Percentage-wise though, how much less noise do they leak than a full-on speaker set? 50%?

May 18, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Cool. So I'm guessing they wouldn't need to go up to the volume I have my speakers at because they're right next to my ear, and they block more noise (obviously) than the speakers. Percentage-wise though, how much less noise do they leak than a full-on speaker set? 50%?

I would say more close to 60%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back