SOUND LEAKAGE: HD518 vs. HD555
Oct 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

akp28

New Head-Fier
So I've been researching extensively for the last two weeks (including tons of anonymous browsing of these forums), but I couldn't find a definite answer to a very important comparison I need to make between these two sets of headphones.

I'm not exactly a hardcore audiophile, though I can definitely appreciate some really great balanced sound. But as a college student who intends to use my headphones regularly in a library/studying setting, I was wondering which one of these two models would provide minimal distraction to the outside world. I'm very self-conscious about disturbing others, so I'm willing to sacrifice some of the sound quality of the open HD 555s if the closed design of the 518s really makes a difference. According to reviews I've read, people have noticed leakage in both, but I suppose I'm wondering which one would be more appropriate. It seems intuitive that a closed design would be the obvious choice, but I've read a lot about how that may not actually be true. I'd really appreciate if someone could weigh in on that. They're priced very similarly, so budget isn't really an issue here.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 11
I've never tried the 518 so I can't really comment on them, but I would NOT recommend the 555s for use in a library.  You'd honestly probably get kicked out if you use them there - they leak a ton of noise.  Even turning it down a lot, it'll still be quite distracting for those around you.

Most closed headphones are generally pretty safe for leakage though, but there are some exceptions...probably best to hear from someone who actually has the 518s.

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #4 of 11
Does anyone have a recommendation for something in the $80-$120 price range that would serve such a purpose? Is it just not really possible to get some great-sounding cans for the library? Haha.

Oct 16, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Any recommendations on a good set of earbuds then? I'm much less researched there. I know the Bose IE2 are perhaps worth looking at?

What sort of sound signature in particular are you looking for, and what kind of music do you usually listen to?  There's definitely better out there than the IE2.

Oct 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #11 of 11
Well...to start out with, I'd strongly recommend checking through this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-200-iems-compared-hifiman-re272-added-10-14-11

His reviews for the UE IEMs aren't up yet, but they should be within a month or two...unfortunately, I've never tried any of them so I can't comment on them.

There are a few good ones that aren't on there yet though - I've heard rather good things about thew (newer) Brainwavz Betas, for example.  Either way, this thread is an excellent place to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back