Sound Isolating Earphones for $50 or so
Jan 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jonandabby

New Head-Fier
I do most of my listening on an Ipod on a commuter train or subway.  I typically listen to podcasts and music that won't particularly stretch a decent set of earphones (e.g. rock but not the crazy thumping bass hairband kind).  For a few years, I used Senn CX300's, but they kept breaking.  I broke down and reading CNET bought Klipsch S4's about a year ago, which sounded pretty good, were only ok on sound isolation, but I managed to break them too (it was my fault - the cord got caught and ripped).  I was going to buy another set, but (being worried about spending $80 on another set that was likely to break), I jumped on here to see if there was an equivalent option that may not be $80....

In my long-winded way, I'm looking for suggestions of earphones likely available in the US that will be strong on sound isolation and in the mid range, without bass that I don't necessarily need.  Looking around here, I see a bunch of decent $30-$50 suggestions (some of which aren't readily available in the US like the DUNU Trident).  Could you folks weigh in on a good set of headphones that will be strong in sound isolation, relatively sturdy, have good quality sound (but not audiophile, obviously), for the $30-$50 price point?

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 14
I have a new pair of DUNU Ares for sale and it sounds like your requirements will be met by these. You can have a look here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/579347/bargain-dunu-crius-and-dunu-ares-as-new-free-worldwide-postage

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 14
Etymotic MC5 isolates very well and is only around $59.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 14
Etymotic EtyKids are around 50 bucks if you want isolation.

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 14
+2 on the Ety mc5

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 14
Etys? You guys are crazy, this guy likes the bass out of S4 and CX400. If he was looking for Etys he would have been commenting on bloat and overshadowed mids.

My recommendation would be Shure SE215, if you can justify $100 based on superb build quality, good warranty, and replaceable cables = likely owning them for a real long time. The midrange is forward and presented very well IMO, the bass is emphasized but hardly excessive or basshead-level, and the treble is passable. Isolation is as good as it gets for universals short of Etymotics; more than sufficient for my subway commute.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Etys? You guys are crazy, this guy likes the bass out of S4 and CX400. If he was looking for Etys he would have been commenting on bloat and overshadowed mids.

Re-read the OP. On the subway he won't even be able to hear bass from any IEM that doesn't isolate really well. Ety is unbeatable in that department.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #12 of 14
I'm trying to stay away from IEM's, actually (using the definitions here).  I've tried a couple for comfort, not sound, and find it distracting to walk around with them shoved in my ear.  I like the earbud style better, knowing that the isolation won't be as good.  The S4 was almost good enough there with their standard tips, and I am sure Comply tips would have made them even better (I hadn't gotten around to buying them before I broke the S4).

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 14

Reread my post. the SE215 isolates nearly as wel and, as per my experience, definitely allows bass to be fuly audible even on a noisy subway. If he has ever used the S4 or CX300 outside the subway, he will be severely let down by anything Etymotic. Conversly, if he is willing to shell out for the SE215, he will get everything he wamts and is used to.w
Quote:
Re-read the OP. On the subway he won't even be able to hear bass from any IEM that doesn't isolate really well. Ety is unbeatable in that department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back