Sorry folks, humanity has hit rock bottom
Jun 23, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've clearly not seen A Shot At Love with Tila Tequila.

You put your finger on the absolute low point, in my opinion. I don't own a TV, but I usually watch a little when I visit my parents, just to get a sample of what's currently on. The last time I was there, I watched that show, and it took nearly the entire hour (or half hour, I don't remember) for the premise to sink in. I couldn't believe that there would be a market for anything that completely degrading and dehumanizing. Then I concluded that I must have been watching some sort of spoof; how could this be real.

When it finally sank in that this was a real show, and people were actually watching it, I just shook my head. Words fail me.

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:07 PM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you all sure you want to keep paying for television?

Yes I'm sure. What makes you think that your decisions are good for me?

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #18 of 36
Ridicolous. How do they come up with such ideas?

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I'm sure. What makes you think that your decisions are good for me?

I don't believe I said my opinions are good for you. There's a difference between stating an opinion and telling people what they should do. That was a rhetorical question; apologies if it touched a nerve.

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe I said my opinions are good for you. There's a difference between stating an opinion and telling people what they should do. That was a rhetorical question; apologies if it touched a nerve.

Oh no nerve here, just playing devil's advocate
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You put your finger on the absolute low point, in my opinion. I don't own a TV, but I usually watch a little when I visit my parents, just to get a sample of what's currently on. The last time I was there, I watched that show, and it took nearly the entire hour (or half hour, I don't remember) for the premise to sink in. I couldn't believe that there would be a market for anything that completely degrading and dehumanizing. Then I concluded that I must have been watching some sort of spoof; how could this be real.

When it finally sank in that this was a real show, and people were actually watching it, I just shook my head. Words fail me.

You may or may not know the half of it: Tila Tequila's claim to fame is having the most "friends" on Myspace. I don't how low one's self-esteem must be to find their self-worth in a collection of digital signatures (most likely pecked with one finger), but I imagine her daily affirmation must take up most of her day.

Edit: Here, allow me to introduce you to her "posse":
The Elite Guerilla Posse

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

You may or may not know the half of it: Tila Tequila's claim to fame is having the most "friends" on Myspace. I don't how low one's self-esteem must be to find their self-worth in a collection of digital signatures (most likely pecked with one finger), but I imagine her daily affirmation must take up most of her day.

The Elite Guerilla Posse

She was on the cover of Blender recently. The writer might as well have been her publicist; he spent, I'm guessing, 1500 words gushing about her "fabulousness." At first I couldn't believe what I was reading (shades of my reaction to the tv show) but it started to sink in after a while. The print media is so desperate to avoid extinction that it is uncritically adopting the false idols dreamt up on MySpace, and treating them like they are justifiably famous.

For a while, I thought that The Atlantic was fighting the good fight, until they put BS on their cover. The article, as it turns out, wasn't even about her; it was about the insects who follow her around in pursuit of a picture they can sell. This infantile obsession with fame -- whatever its cause -- is evidence that this culture is fading fast. The media (what we used to call "the free press") has completely abdicated its responsibility to at least attempt to tell the truth.

Edit: Just hit the link from your post. Oh! the humanity!. God, we have come to the point that people's lives are so empty that they will latch onto anything in order to define themselves. How appropriate that one of the thumbnails of her "posse" members is some idiot in faux Kiss makeup. Hell, if you've got nothing going for you, why not put all of your effort into immitating a third-rate pop group? (notice that I said pop, not rock)

Come to think of it, Kiss would really qualify as Tia's spiritual ancestors, wouldn't they? If it's a bad steak, smother it with sauce, and charge extra.

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

The Elite Guerilla Posse

I did not know that! I thought she was some singer or rapper like New York (from the I Love New York series)...an equally haneous excuse of television programming.

Jun 23, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #26 of 36
You know it's funny, there was a great program on This American Life about how this is TV's golden age because Networks are all about blowing big budgets and taking chances to gain viewers.

I actually turned my TV on to watch... TV for a change because I enjoyed the commentary so thoroughly... Elapsed time: 10 minutes, just in time to catch whatever game show they had someone hooked up to a lie detector and were asking them progressively more intrusive things.

I guess this is another step lower, but I'm not any more surprised.

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Carl Sagan summed it it best when he said (very much a hack of a quote, but it's the gist of it):
"In the search for intelligent life, we often turn to radio astronomy. Or in the case of some television and radio broadcast, semi-intelligent life"

I was watching COSMOS last night on Science Channel and heard this from Carl Sagan. It is a great quote!!!!

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #28 of 36
Our TV system changed from analog to digital some time ago, so for older TVs you would need to buy the so called "digibox" device to see them, or buy new digital TV. But because there is nothing watchable on TV nowadays but these utterly stupid reality-TV shows and stupid drama series that get more and more ridiculous as time passes and new series appear, guess If I have one. Movies I can watch from DVD or from Computer and and I can read news from newspapers and internet. And I'm happy with that. My TV only sits as a device to use with console games, and Im thinking if I should plug them to my computer monitor aswell.

Downside is, whenever there are some interesting sport activities like yearly worldcups etc... I would love to watch some of them, but sure as hell wont buy a new device and pay the yearly license just to watch couple of days of TV. Luckily my parents live near me. Now that the Olympics are coming soon I might make them a series of surprise visits...
icon10.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Downside is, whenever there are some interesting sport activities like yearly worldcups etc... I would love to watch some of them, but sure as hell wont buy a new device and pay the yearly license just to watch couple of days of TV. Luckily my parents live near me. Now that the Olympics are coming soon I might make them a series of surprise visits...
icon10.gif

My solution to this problem is my local pub, which, thankfully, is in easy walking distance from my front door. They get all of the international events, including rugby, cricket, Aussy rules football, and etc. Sometimes I go just to watch the mayhem that goes on in the bar, never mind the game. Australia vs. South Africa rugby? Yikes! I end up wearing more Guinness than I actually drink. But it's all in good fun, nobody gets hurt, and it sure beats sitting in my own living room...

Basically, any sports I want to watch are available at the bar.

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My solution to this problem is my local pub, which, thankfully, is in easy walking distance from my front door. They get all of the international events, including rugby, cricket, Aussy rules football, and etc. Sometimes I go just to watch the mayhem that goes on in the bar, never mind the game. Australia vs. South Africa rugby? Yikes! I end up wearing more Guinness than I actually drink. But it's all in good fun, nobody gets hurt, and it sure beats sitting in my own living room...

Basically, any sports I want to watch are available at the bar.

That is actually brilliant idea!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back