Sorry folks, humanity has hit rock bottom
Jun 23, 2008 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

dgbiker1

500+ Head-Fier
Jun 23, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 36
I think Carl Sagan summed it it best when he said (very much a hack of a quote, but it's the gist of it):

"In the search for intelligent life, we often turn to radio astronomy. Or in the case of some television and radio broadcast, semi-intelligent life"

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 36
I just came up with a brilliant idea for a game show. It's called "Urine deep s*** now, boy."

Contestants gorge themselves on food and drinks for two hours, and then come back the next day. The contestant to excrete the most waste and bodily fluids (by weight) is the winner!

Oh, wait... that's not extreme enough.

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 36
I turned off the cable in 1999. Haven't been back.

Stories like this keep me thankful I turned it off.

When I canceled service, I think it was about $60 per month. Over the past nine years, that's saved me at least $6,500, not counting interest, rate increases, etc.

Are you all sure you want to keep paying for television?

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I turned off the cable in 1999. Haven't been back.

Stories like this keep me thankful I turned it off.

When I canceled service, I think it was about $60 per month. Over the past nine years, that's saved me at least $6,500, not counting interest, rate increases, etc.

Are you all sure you want to keep paying for television?

I watch about 10 minutes a week average.

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 36
I watch TV for sports only, and I intend to keep it that way for a while
wink.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #11 of 36
In the countries that use TV licence system, only the complete TV turnoff will save my money. Here it's like 210 euros (330 USD) a year for the "privilege" to watch such poop. I'm not going to pay that kind of money when I move to a flat of my own. I prefer Internet anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 36
Sorry, humanity has not yet hit rock bottom - there is worse to come, believe me. It's time to unplug.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the countries that use TV licence system, only the complete TV turnoff will save my money. Here it's like 210 euros (330 USD) a year for the "privilege" to watch such poop. I'm not going to pay that kind of money when I move to a flat of my own. I prefer Internet anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

The tv license only pays for YLE and FST to bring us their wide range of one or two decent programs a year. It would be more fair to simply be able unsubscribe to those channels.

Otherwise, the people who do pay are paying for the people who don't pay.

But for all the complaining here about tv, and humanity has been known to go so much further downhill as to you make it laughable that a crappy tv show can even be compared to such atrocities as genocide...

There's also a golden age of tv that we're in. Look at all the excellent comedic and dramatic writing and acting going on. Compare that to the formulaic shows of the 70s-90s. It's just come by leaps and bounds. The caliber of acting improves because the stories improve. Tv is no longer Movies' little red-headed stepchild.

Jun 23, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, humanity has not yet hit rock bottom - there is worse to come, believe me. It's time to unplug.

Yupp!
We have said so before, and it a year or so later something even worse show up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back