Sony's new K1000 killer: Another review!
Oct 6, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need a perfectly silent background, a real amp, and want good front imaging, why not get a pair of real speakers? Other people would hear the music on your head anyway, so it's not a private and intimate setting. You can't walk around with these things on, the outside noise would ruin it. And if you bumped into something you're going to seriously do damage to your ear.

I just don't see the point of these on-ear speakers at all.

I'd really like someone to try to refute what I said above, and try to provide opposing logic as to why these would actually be more useful to you than floorstanding or bookshelf speakers.

Umm, maybe because I have absolutely nowhere to put a pair of speakers, and because I live in a house with 2 other people? All my equipment is in my small bedroom and it is quite quiet in here but other than that, there is nowhere to put a pair of speakers, at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the most advantage of the K1000 (no any other can have) is that they use the SPEAKERS OUTPUTS !!!

Those who adfirm about lack in bass in the K1000, do not have heard yet a well amped K1000, or (may be) they own a low quality K1000 (serial number).

Nik

I understand there is quite a difference in bass with the K1000 when amped with a proper class A speaker amp with ample power vs. something like the T-amp. And the bass is perfectly fine for me, some of the best I've heard. However, lets try to agree on the fact that the K1000 is never going to sound like a DT770. And by design, it has an extremely hard time with bass due to the acoustic short.

Oct 6, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

One of the most advantage of the K1000 (no any other can have) is that they use the SPEAKERS OUTPUTS !!!

Those who adfirm about lack in bass in the K1000, do not have heard yet a well amped K1000, or (may be) they own a low quality K1000 (serial number).

Nik

Low quality K1000?

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Low quality K1000?

Yes, low quality dpending by SN.

MY K1000 was selected beteween ten... !!! Some of these K1000 was "low quality", not the same details or soundstage or bass respect to others...

If you do a search here you will find. Others heafiers (K1000fiers) have noticed this: hard to find two K1000 identical in sound.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #64 of 73
True. However a common confusion seems to be that there is a surefire way to know what sounds better, that the high S/Ns will sound better than old. If you do more searching, that is really not the case.

It is really quite random what you get, they are all "high quality" and the differences between them are not huge (but noticeable).

However... lets try to keep this thread on topic, about the PFR-V1, not the K1000
smily_headphones1.gif
k1000smile.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #65 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm, maybe because I have absolutely nowhere to put a pair of speakers, and because I live in a house with 2 other people? All my equipment is in my small bedroom and it is quite quiet in here but other than that, there is nowhere to put a pair of speakers, at all.

I understand there is quite a difference in bass with the K1000 when amped with a proper class A speaker amp with ample power vs. something like the T-amp. And the bass is perfectly fine for me, some of the best I've heard. However, lets try to agree on the fact that the K1000 is never going to sound like a DT770. And by design, it has an extremely hard time with bass due to the acoustic short.

I don't like the over bass of the DT770.

My K1000 has a better bass (quality, tightness, quantity) of DX1000, GS1000... just to tell you some of the monster bass headphones...

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #66 of 73
I would be very interested in hearing your K1000. Unfortunately, I am in the USA.

The terms you used to describe the bass seem to be contradicting. You say the bass is high quality and tight, yet to many people (not me), that is another way of saying "nonexistent". But you also say the quantity is more than the DX1000. I find that either hard to believe or a poor choice of wording, as I don't see any way the bass could be "quality and tight" and at the same time be more in quantity than the DX1000 which is very bass heavy. I also do not believe the K1000 in any setup will have the extension of traditional headphones. Can you truly hear frequencies of 20-40hz on the K1000 at normal listening volume? I would seriously doubt that. As by design the bass will roll off. The drivers have an acoustic short.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #67 of 73
Yeah, IMO the K-1000 is most accurate transparent headphone around. It's my favorite of all headphones and the Sony still has to prove itself.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #68 of 73
Quote:

True. However a common confusion seems to be that there is a surefire way to know what sounds better, that the high S/Ns will sound better than old. If you do more searching, that is really not the case.

It is really quite random what you get, they are all "high quality" and the differences between them are not huge (but noticeable).

However... lets try to keep this thread on topic, about the PFR-V1, not the K1000
smily_headphones1.gif
k1000smile.gif

I don't think there is here (or in the world) another headfier who has compared ten K1000 at one time... I did. For me and for my setup there was huge differences. I did not found 11XXX series sound bad, the two 10XXX I had was to bright and fatiguing. The oldest series (6XXX and 8XXX) was the most relaxed but even a bit mufled and boring in sound.
If you do not have a hi reveling setup, surely you will not find so much difference, but with a hi class source, amp and CABLES... omg...

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

I don't think there is here (or in the world) another headfier who has compared ten K1000 at one time... I did. For me and for my setup there was huge differences. I did not found 11XXX series sound bad, the two 10XXX I had was to bright and fatiguing. The oldest series (6XXX and 8XXX) was the most relaxed but even a bit mufled and boring in sound.
If you do not have a hi reveling setup, surely you will not find so much difference, but with a hi class source, amp and CABLES... omg...

When they were being compared, did you know which K1000's had which serial number?

When you compare two or more things, and you know which is which, you can "trick" yourself into thinking something is better than the other...Our brains can fool us very easily. I think Kurt V. said it best, "See the cat? See the cradle?" Ie., we believe what we want to believe.

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

I would be very interested in hearing your K1000. Unfortunately, I am in the USA.

The terms you used to describe the bass seem to be contradicting. You say the bass is high quality and tight, yet to many people (not me), that is another way of saying "nonexistent". But you also say the quantity is more than the DX1000. I find that either hard to believe or a poor choice of wording, as I don't see any way the bass could be "quality and tight" and at the same time be more in quantity than the DX1000 which is very bass heavy. I also do not believe the K1000 in any setup will have the extension of traditional headphones. Can you truly hear frequencies of 20-40hz on the K1000 at normal listening volume? I would seriously doubt that. As by design the bass will roll off. The drivers have an acoustic short.

Whne I speak of bass (do not exist "bass" without any instrument, for me...), I think to the sound of a musical instrument, as a bass or double bass or a bass of a piano or guitar and so on... the DX1000 (just to do an example) has a big quantiti of "bass" produced by the cans-self, like a colored reverberation inside of the cans, this is not a bass for me... not the same for the open GS1000.

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #71 of 73
Yes I am aware the K1000 has a very special bass. I have nothing against it and I love it myself. If I had the money I would buy a K1000 with an insane source and amp. Unfortunately, I don't have the money.

I was just saying that the bass on the K1000 does technically roll off at a higher point that most other headphones, that is not a problem for me, it is just something I was pointing out about the headphones. I agree the DX1000 does not have very accurate bass but that does not mean it's not fun to listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

Now please if we want to talk about the K1000 lets start a new thread, this is supposed to be for the PFR-V1!

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When they were being compared, did you know which K1000's had which serial number?

When you compare two or more things, and you know which is which, you can "trick" yourself into thinking something is better than the other...Our brains can fool us very easily. I think Kurt V. said it best, "See the cat? See the cradle?" Ie., we believe what we want to believe.

Dear, I have one only K1000 and sold the other 9... believe or not believe, this is my experience, and all the person who have heard the comparison was agree with my opinion...

I can understand why we have so many different opinion about the bass of the K1000, yes I can understand so well...

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #73 of 73
I wont lie i'd rather walk around in the K1000s than these sony's...they got a cyborgy like thing going on. Now the k1000s got that retro vibe, and prolly sound warmer than the sony's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back