Sony's new K1000 killer: Another review!
Oct 3, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #16 of 73
They are probably difficult to drive, as I think a headphone that has the drivers placed and angled away from your ears (like the k1000) needs a lot of juice to make them produce quality sound. Take a normal pair of headphones and angle the drivers like they are on the K1000 or PFR-V1, you can still hear them but it sounds like crap
smily_headphones1.gif
The "booster" is a class D amp afaik.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #17 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder why they chose a 21mm driver? Bigger isn't always better. But I think part of the K1000 (and electrostatic) soundstage is those large-ish driver diaphragms, that present a large field of sound over the ear.

The K1000 is a completely open design, front & back. The PFR-V1 has a closed, orb-like back, presumably to address bass response. With that solid enclosure, weight could potentially be an issue if the driver to be enclosed was too large. Plus, the Sony's driver is situated closer to the user's ear than with the AKG's, and doesn't need to be so big. Quote:

are they really that difficult to drive?

16-ohms impedance, and a relatively low sensitivity rating of only 93dB/mW tells me these need an amp of some sort.

I admit that my curiosity is quite piqued.

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 73
I might buy one when they are released just to try for myself. I've also got something I'm planning to sell for quite a bit more than the headphones cost so that works out quite nicely. I would kill for these if they sound in any way like the K1000.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #22 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of people are saying that, but the real question, why?

I was wondering the same too. Maybe it would be sacrilege.

The review's convinced me enough, I'm going to get one and use it at school so everybody's gonna be freaked out.

Thanks for the link
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #23 of 73
Quote:

I might buy one when they are released just to try for myself. I've also got something I'm planning to sell for quite a bit more than the headphones cost so that works out quite nicely. I would kill for these if they sound in any way like the K1000.

Yeah and when you sell your HP-2's you'll have more than enough to buy us both a pair. My part will be to make us both a nice wooden hanger to hold them.
very_evil_smiley.gif

The prices I'm finding are all over the board. The cheapest I've found is from AudioCubes for $539.00, but it doesn't say anything about an amp.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #24 of 73
Quote:

Lots of people are saying that, but the real question, why?

Because it's not made by AKG.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #25 of 73
Oh yeah right, forgot about that!

EDIT:
I was not referring to the hp2 or any headphones when I said I have something to sell.

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #26 of 73
It could be a kidney for all I care, as long as you get my Sony's in the mail.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it's not made by AKG.

AKG elitist snob!

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG elitist snob!

I merely speak the truth, as it is my duty to enlighten those pitiful wandering souls using the Other Brands.

Oct 4, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you didn't like what Fitz said...i suggest you PM him asking for AKG parts.
wink.gif

LOL! Better yet I have his home phone number I could post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back