Sony's new K1000 killer: Another review!
Oct 3, 2007 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I don't actually know if it is a K1000 killer, but all threads on this headphone seem to be passed over unless the title catches you off guard, so that is why I chose it
wink.gif

With that aside, there is another rather detailed review of the Sony PFR-V1!! Here it is, with google translator:
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...language_tools

It is kind of tricky to understand at times due to the poor translation but I could make out the general jist of things. Perhaps someone who is able to speak Japanese can provide a good summary of the review? Also, there are several new pictures of the headphone and it's little amp, the "booster".

Here is the preorder link on AudioCubes:
http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H..._Speakers.html

Many people are continually put off by the fact that the headphone is said to be "battery powered" and the rated maximum input power of 60mW.

I have explained this several times but alas it also seems to have been passed over. I actually contacted Sony Japan about this and I was actually graced with a helpful reply from someone who spoke english. I was told that the maximum input power is only 60mW when the portable booster amp is being used, and batteries are required by the booster, not the headphones. The maximum input power without the booster is 200mW, and I was told that you would be able to plug the headphone into a high quality headphone amplifier if desired.

With that all cleared up, what do you guys thing?? I am personally very excited about these headphones!! We all know what sony can do with dynamic headphones if they want to, just look at the R10, Qualia 010, CD3000, F1, SA5000, etc...

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 73
I have some doubt on this design. It looks like a complicated IEM design in which the bass tube is inserted and rested in your ear canal. Also, the drivers are too little to give the visceral impact that you find in K1000.

I think they're are stylish the Sony way, but I doubt that if they can even "Touch" the K1000.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all know what sony can do with dynamic headphones if they want to, just look at the R10, Qualia 010, CD3000, F1, SA5000, etc...

All those cans suck, so I'm not hopeful about these new phones.

Biggie.

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 73
I know there is at least one head-fi member who has a pair preordered. I can't remember who it is, though.

Also, some advantages this has over the K1000 would include:
-Much easier to amp
-No acoustical short (better bass, by design at least)
-Easy to wear
-Bass tube (again, better bass
-Price

I seriously wouldn't knock this before you've heard it, the design and concept looks extremely interesting and it looks like sony spent a lot of time on it. There is an interview with sony about these headphones where they state it was made to directly compete with the offerings from Stax so that alone is very promising.

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 73
I'm interested in what it would sound like. I don't think mentioning it alongside the best headphone in the world (
k1000smile.gif
) is going to make it competative, but at least it gets more people to read the thread
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 73
I won't ever have the money to buy a pair (tattoos and school loans come first, not in that order), but I can't wait for the review.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm debating whether I should get this or the bone conducting headphones for my next rig, since they're relatively the same price.. Maybe you should get both
biggrin.gif

Go the the PFR-V1! Bone conduction sounds way to finicky! Besides I read that it can cause bone marrow cancer
eek.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go the the PFR-V1! Bone conduction sounds way to finicky! Besides I read that it can cause bone marrow cancer
eek.gif

I went literally "O m *," thank you very much for this enlightening post.

I couldn't really tell from the diagrams, but is there actually some pipe that goes into your canals?

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't really tell from the diagrams, but is there actually some pipe that goes into your canals?

np02318ll4.jpg

Read the review people, it was kind of the main point of this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I get out of the review I think thise phones are STAX SR001-mkII contenders more than K1000 killers.....

What makes you say that? I had trouble understanding parts of it myself. It's like english but then again it's not english.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 73
LOL nothing like a sensationalistic, thread title to stir the hive.

I wonder why they chose a 21mm driver? Bigger isn't always better. But I think part of the K1000 (and electrostatic) soundstage is those large-ish driver diaphragms, that present a large field of sound over the ear.

I'm interested. I wonder what the amp does?... is it merely a unity gain circuit to EQ and color the sound? Or are they really that difficult to drive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back