Sony's new K1000 killer: Another review!
Oct 4, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #31 of 73
Starting to go off topic I see
wink.gif
Let's try to stay ON topic
smily_headphones1.gif

/bump

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #32 of 73
Sony has a demo model for their Tokyo-Ginza showroom. I did not have a chance to try it so far, but my friend had the chance. Here is his blog regarding the PFR-V1.

http://blog.so-net.ne.jp/avfuntou/2007-09-19

He stated the fitting is good and he did not have any discomfort to wear. The sound comes from his front and he felt some kind of surrounding effect. It is not similar to virtual surround system but he felt it so natural.
He wrote he likes the sound.

The reviewer of AV-watch(quoted in the first post) also stated the "head-stage/sound-stage" is more like a shade of baseball cap, not like a shade of hat.
One of reviewer wrote the bass impact is not bad, but somewhat lacks bass resolution. He also mentioned the sound is airly and open, this is good.
Another reviewer stated PRAT is good but the bass impact is not sufficient for hip-hop or house(techno) music.

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #33 of 73
OK, since the teacher just caught Fitz and I goofing off in class I'll get back on topic.

For some reason, and I'm not quite sure what that is, I have high hopes for these. No I don't expect them to be K1000 killers, but I don't expect them to necessarily be that similar of an animal. Maybe not apples to oranges, but apples to pears.

The bass tube strikes me as quite unique in this application, and I actually think it might work quite well. The principle is sound anyway. Also the angle of the main drivers is very forward. It seems more forward than the K1000, even when opened all the way, but I could be wrong here.

I'd need to hear a few reviews by members I trust (or one review by a member that I really trust) before I'd feel comfortable taking the plunge. Also I'd like to find out more about this dedicated amp, if that is indeed the case.
But if the $539.00 entry price is for the turnkey system (or if my incoming β22 would do a bang up job) I think this might be be something I could really like.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, since the teacher just caught Fitz and I goofing off in class I'll get back on topic.

For some reason, and I'm not quite sure what that is, I have high hopes for these. No I don't expect them to be K1000 killers, but I don't expect them to necessarily be that similar of an animal. Maybe not apples to oranges, but apples to pears.

The bass tube strikes me as quite unique in this application, and I actually think it might work quite well. The principle is sound anyway. Also the angle of the main drivers is very forward. It seems more forward than the K1000, even when opened all the way, but I could be wrong here.

I'd need to hear a few reviews by members I trust (or one review by a member that I really trust) before I'd feel comfortable taking the plunge. Also I'd like to find out more about this dedicated amp, if that is indeed the case.
But if the $539.00 entry price is for the turnkey system (or if my incoming β22 would do a bang up job) I think this might be be something I could really like.

I don't know why but I also have a very good feeling about these headphones and if all goes as planned I should end up buying a pair.

All the impressions seem to be quite positive so far, except for bass heavy music, but then, I wonder what these people would think of the K1000s bass?

One person's "tight and well controlled" is another person's "nonexistent", and vice versa. And one person's "controlled yet powerful" is another person's "muddy and overpowering", etc...

Also, these first positive impressions are coming from the tiny battery powered "booster" class D amp, from a less than stellar source I would imagine. Mix that in with a noisy background and you don't get quite the best impressions.

Maybe they are a K1000 killer, maybe not. The people that say they are not, you really can't say that until you've tried them.

Personally I can't wait to try them out with music I like and know, a real amp and a silent background
smily_headphones1.gif
If they sound anything like the K1000 I will be permanently sold.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #38 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reviewer of AV-watch(quoted in the first post) also stated the "head-stage/sound-stage" is more like a shade of baseball cap, not like a shade of hat.

It's obvious that it's more of a "baseball cap" sound stage due to the size and proximity of the drivers.

Another TKO win for K1000, the champ...
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The people that say they are not, you really can't say that until you've tried them.

Yes I can. I already told you, it is not an AKG. What is the confusion?

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #40 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.

Ok, seems like a sore subject, so I won't press further.

And, haha at Fitz. Who knows, maybe these will make you turn around and sell all your AKG phones! Soon you'll be the Sony god, with an R10, Qualias, etc.
icon10.gif

On topic, these look, interesting. I wouldn't buy them, but I'd like to try them.

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:30 PM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, seems like a sore subject, so I won't press further.

And, haha at Fitz. Who knows, maybe these will make you turn around and sell all your AKG phones! Soon you'll be the Sony god, with an R10, Qualias, and etc.
icon10.gif

On topic, these look, interesting. I wouldn't buy them, but I'd like to try them.

So... Who is the volunteer for the team ?

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #43 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So... Who is the volunteer for the team ?

I will likely buy a pair, but when they are for sale, not pre order. I can probably get them cheaper on PriceJapan then.

Oct 5, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #44 of 73
Jeez, your title mentioning the K1000 sure rubs a sore spot. That about insecurity, especially regarding a headphone that isn't even released yet.

I really want to hear this thing, but there's no way I'd take a gamble on ordering this. I like how they are thinkout outside of the box, err, enclosure. A true two way headphone.

Reading that translated review gave me a headache....I can't wait till somebody posts an English review

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And, haha at Fitz. Who knows, maybe these will make you turn around and sell all your AKG phones! Soon you'll be the Sony god, with an R10, Qualias, and etc.
icon10.gif

You are a very funny man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back