Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 22, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #5,581 of 5,804
Hey all, can i get a link on what i need to do for the tape mod for the z5 if i want to turn this into a more basshead iem?

Mar 23, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #5,582 of 5,804
I don't think that mod was for the Z5 - it was to get the MDR-EX800ST's (AKA MDR-7550) bass to sound like the Z5's bass.

The Z5 doesn't need additional bass - it already has among the deepest, most tactile bass available. It truly is like having a subwoofer in your ear. (More accurately a subwoofer with too much mid bass bleed though).

The EX800's bass can be improved with the mod, but you will lose the 800's vast soundstage. The mod was cool to hear for a while, but ultimately it was not worth the cost of losing its voluminous soundstaging.

Hey all, can i get a link on what i need to do for the tape mod for the z5 if i want to turn this into a more basshead iem?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #5,583 of 5,804
Even after owning my ol' good XBA-Z5 for quite a long time I'm still surprised how extremely sensitive to the cable quality and materials these beasts are.

Last evening I changed noname chi-fi 4.4mm SPC cable to the Atlas stock pure silver one (also re-terminated to 4.4) and surprisingly tend to like their sound more than actual Atlas 😲

Lows are less impressive now but mids and treble opened up significantly with much more subtle nuances, and, what's even better, famous Z5 soundstage became even bigger and more precise.

IMG_20210330_002745.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #5,585 of 5,804
A/B testing, the XBA Z5 just took down the SA6. It had to be that way, crazy!
I refuse to A/B them because I'm liking the SA6 too much. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The SA6 gets my recc over the Z5 right now simply due to ergonomics and the excellent stock cable.

May 13, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #5,588 of 5,804
May 13, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #5,589 of 5,804
May 13, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #5,590 of 5,804
May 13, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #5,591 of 5,804
BTW, how do you compare it to Zen mentioned in your signature? I'm in love with my Z5 and also have Zen in my "want to try" list, so any impressions on these two are very interesting :)
Well.........first off they are total opposites really. The Z5 has a midrange that (as you know) you need to work with to become noticeable.

I found my best results with aftermarket tips with the XBA-Z5. To make the Z5 mids just right.

Meaning either the mid-range on the Z5 is too far back set or just right, it is not forward. The ZEN has a very much forward midrange. If you like the mids with the Z5, I'm not sure how your going to deal with the ZEN? That and the ZEN has less bass than the Z5. The Z5 is way more expanded out in soundstage in comparison to ZEN. Interestingly the Z5 (to me) is very together and not disjointed in replay, the ZEN is together in replay too. The ZEN has even more treble roll off, than the Z5.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #5,592 of 5,804
Thanks! I bought UM 3DT recently and suddenly realized that I spend much more time with it than with Z5, so it looks like I'm not that much into Sony sound as I thought. Maybe I should give Zen a try if it comes up at local classifieds with a reasonable price tag.

May 13, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #5,594 of 5,804
Thanks! I bought UM 3DT recently and suddenly realized that I spend much more time with it than with Z5, so it looks like I'm not that much into Sony sound as I thought. Maybe I should give Zen a try if it comes up at local classifieds with a reasonable price tag.
Glad your happy. Though one thing to note is the Z5 can need a couple things to be it’s best. I found how I drive it, as well as what tips I use to make a world of change in sound. It just can be a slight change in frequency which can surprise you, with a profound difference in end results. Mainly how the midrange and treble area are perceived. At least that how it was for me?

May 13, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #5,595 of 5,804
How is the UM 3DT compared to the z5?
I like overall timbe and particularly vocals much more for certain kinds of music: it definitely has neither famous Z5 soundstage nor impactful bass and is much brighter but intimate genres like vocal jazz, some kinds of modern pop like Lana Del Rey's last albums, soft rock etc sound less muffled and more pleasant on 3DT for me.

Actually, looking forward for a chance to try Penon Volt: based on reviews and comparisons I've read it should have exactly the sound I'm looking for to complement my Z5 and Atlas though being three times more expensive than 3DT; meanwhile I'm still happy with 3DT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back