Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 4, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #5,566 of 5,804
After looking at the FD5, I think the N3s more mellow sound will be for me. Hows isolation? My ie40s provide about -20db from outside noise. I ask as most say N3s have average isolation, was looking for a more concrete answer.
Above average isolation on the N3.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #5,568 of 5,804
Hahaha okay. Just placed an order at accessoryjack. Thanks! Kind of relieved I didnt have to spend 400$ on a dap to power a pair of Z5s. Hopefully these will be for me.
All iems benefit from a better source though. If you are using a smartphone, I at least recommend that you get a dongle for it like the E1DA 9038 or a bluetooth amp/dac like the Qudelix 5k.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #5,570 of 5,804
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #5,571 of 5,804
I forgot that I still have a pair of Final E5000. They are indeed mellow sounding, with decent bass and soundstaging. But they are outclassed in every way by the Z5, except comfort and isolation. They are especially lacking in clarity and resolution, if that matters. Overall, the E5000 are not a bad choice for the price, but I would recommend saving up for the Sony IER-M7, which definitely outclass it in every way, IMHO.

That said, I bought the N3, but thought it sounded terrible. I quickly returned it, and ended up snagging the IER-M7s. To my ears, the N3 had a harshness that I couldn't get rid of or get past. But I only listened to them via JVC Spiral Dots - which I have now come to find are not a universally good match (my IER-M7s sound MUCH better with Final E-type tips). Now I am wondering how the N3s would have sounded with the right tips...

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #5,572 of 5,804
I forgot that I still have a pair of Final E5000. They are indeed mellow sounding, with decent bass and soundstaging. But they are outclassed in every way by the Z5, except comfort and isolation. They are especially lacking in clarity and resolution, if that matters. Overall, the E5000 are not a bad choice for the price, but I would recommend saving up for the Sony IER-M7, which definitely outclass it in every way, IMHO.

That said, I bought the N3, but thought it sounded terrible. I quickly returned it, and ended up snagging the IER-M7s. To my ears, the N3 had a harshness that I couldn't get rid of or get past. But I only listened to them via JVC Spiral Dots - which I have now come to find are not a universally good match (my IER-M7s sound MUCH better with Final E-type tips). Now I am wondering how the N3s would have sounded with the right tips...
Missed potential for sure. I take the N3 over the Z5, almost considered selling the Z5 as well. (but keeping it due to SONY.)

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #5,573 of 5,804
Ha! I guess that's where I am; with my current batch of IEMs (plus my hope for a Z1R), do I NEED an N3? Nope. But then again, SONY...

Missed potential for sure. I take the N3 over the Z5, almost considered selling the Z5 as well. (but keeping it due to SONY.)

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #5,574 of 5,804
Ha! I guess that's where I am; with my current batch of IEMs (plus my hope for a Z1R), do I NEED an N3? Nope. But then again, SONY...
Sony ftw.

Mar 20, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #5,575 of 5,804
I’m coming back to the XBA-Z5 again. It’s a warm homecoming. Big splashes of dramatic color, listening to soundtracks. The bass is miles better than anything the N3 could hope to achieve, in my opinion. Wow, I need to spend a week with this set-up.

1A
Walkman Firmware Midnight Plus
J Region
Kimber 4.4mm
Special tips that are middle bore.
I’m wearing the cables over ear, cinch.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #5,576 of 5,804

The m7 is twice the price of the e5000 and it’s also a multi BA and the e5k is a single DD. So
It’s a weird comparison... and if you think the m7 outclasses the e5k in visceral bass response you are massively under-powering the e5k.

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #5,577 of 5,804
The M7 actually resolves better than the Z5, but the Z5 has better bass. The e5000 doesn't hold a candle to either, regardless of tips.

Mar 22, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #5,578 of 5,804
I’m coming back to the XBA-Z5 again. It’s a warm homecoming. Big splashes of dramatic color, listening to soundtracks. The bass is miles better than anything the N3 could hope to achieve, in my opinion. Wow, I need to spend a week with this set-up.

1A
Walkman Firmware Midnight Plus
J Region
Kimber 4.4mm
Special tips that are middle bore.
I’m wearing the cables over ear, cinch.
I do miss mine - there was a sense of drama with the Z5s. The Z1Rs are fantastic, but they lack a slight immaturity that the Z5s had. And I definitely need a better source with the Z1Rs!

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #5,579 of 5,804
I do miss mine - there was a sense of drama with the Z5s. The Z1Rs are fantastic, but they lack a slight immaturity that the Z5s had. And I definitely need a better source with the Z1Rs!

Does the m11 run the Z1R okay on high gain?

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #5,580 of 5,804
Does the m11 run the Z1R okay on high gain?

It drives them admirably well - but I do feel its hitting a limit in terms of extracting the best technicalities out of the IEMs. The Z1R is another class to the M11. I'm going to get a W2 soon which should be an upgrade and then I'd love a better source like the WM1A or the Shanling M8 - not really heard much about the DX300 in combo with the Z1Rs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back