Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5
Mar 8, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #1,202 of 5,804
Very interested in the sony upgrade cable for the Z,A,H series earphone. I have read some reviews and impression about it and most of them reported improvement on sound. Would like to know is it worth it to buy the upgrade cable is the improvement in sound noticeable enough?

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,203 of 5,804
  Very interested in the sony upgrade cable for the Z,A,H series earphone. I have read some reviews and impression about it and most of them reported improvement on sound. Would like to know is it worth it to buy the upgrade cable is the improvement in sound noticeable enough?

For me?  No, sound difference alone w/ the upgrade cable would not be enough for me to justify $110USD.  However, my biggest issue w/ the stock cable is that infernal memory wire/ear hooks; getting rid of that was worth some $$ to me.  If you combine that PLUS (subjective) changes (or, "improvements") in the sound, ....ehhh, still overpriced, but what are you gonna do?  Gotta pay to play.

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #1,204 of 5,804

For me?  No, sound difference alone w/ the upgrade cable would not be enough for me to justify $110USD.  However, my biggest issue w/ the stock cable is that infernal memory wire/ear hooks; getting rid of that was worth some $$ to me.  If you combine that PLUS (subjective) changes (or, "improvements") in the sound, ....ehhh, still overpriced, but what are you gonna do?  Gotta pay to play.

Really, sometimes i wish that stores let us audition cables for earphones lol. Hard to know whether these earphone cables provide better sound because local sony stores only provide the Z7 upgrade cables to audition the Z7, they said pulling in out the earphone cables frequently will damage the mmcx connectors which is true... 
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #1,205 of 5,804
OK have to say it again... Dang do I ever enjoy the Z5!!!

Just listened to I'm Alright by Jars of Clay and the 3D sound stage of this IEM is simply OFF THE CHARTS! It is just so engaging and enveloping...

+1 here, I have been listening a lot to these now (probably 200h+) and lately a lot of listening balanced with PHA-3 the 3D quality is even more stunning.
There are so many layers to the sound, the depth is probably the most remarkable quality of the Z5 (width is great but depth is in a league of its own).

Also I *love* note decay on the Z5, I think it's also very distinctive in terms of SQ, and definitely explains how lifelike they are and probably contributes to the realism of the 3D

Mar 8, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,206 of 5,804
Hey so I chatted to Joker there and he said the bass on the z5 was bloated. 

Now I took that with a pinch of salt as he said before he thought the stagediver SD-2 was tonally like the HD650. 
Which I don't agree with since buying a pair (gona sell em if anyone interested) 

Any thoughts on z5 bass quality + quantity? 

Mar 9, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #1,208 of 5,804
Hey so I chatted to Joker there and he said the bass on the z5 was bloated. 

Now I took that with a pinch of salt as he said before he thought the stagediver SD-2 was tonally like the HD650. 
Which I don't agree with since buying a pair (gona sell em if anyone interested) 

Any thoughts on z5 bass quality + quantity? 
iv got sd-2 and z5 there is no comparison z5 is definitely winner every where

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #1,209 of 5,804
Finally received upgrade hybrid cable for my Z5 !!
smily_headphones1.gif
Im more then happy sound is awesome more separation and clarity , many thanks for Matt from forza Audioworks
wink.gif

Looks really nice. Do you know if they can make the same but with balanced termination for pha-3?
Do you choose Shure SE/Ultrasone IQ connectors?

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #1,210 of 5,804
They can do everything what you want (if not available on website ) just email them and say what exactly you need :wink: I asked them about more stability conector for my xba because the other upgrade cables (mmcx) just spinning around 360 degrees inside earphone what is bad ...Finally i found Forza Audioworks ( thanks for goodness) and Matt did it for my without extra cost :wink: Amazing job can recommended much more above other expensive upgrade cables!:wink: http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/

Mar 9, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,211 of 5,804
   I asked them about more stability conector for my xba because the other upgrade cables (mmcx) just spinning around 360 degrees inside earphone what is bad ..

So they were not just a standard MMCX?  

I do really like my current custom cable SQ wise but it's quite heavy and not that flexible

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,214 of 5,804
Yes this is exactly MMCX standard a same like for shure headphones but connector is in new version and Matt especially at my request build over connector for xba

Ok. Thanks! Sent a request to them.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #1,215 of 5,804
Anyone has tried their Z5 with the ZX2 ?

I am curious about the fact it might be supporting balanced output :p 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back