SONY's new 2012 Walkman Range!!
Aug 16, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #106 of 188
Quote:
The sound isn't identical but share the same characteristic including the tonality.  I'm speaking of the US version of the Z and A865 btw.

there lies the problem for most people judging the A-series to the WM-Z... I've owned/own both the US & Japanese versions of the WM-Z, I've also owned/own the Euro versions of the A & X-series.

UELover is right in saying that the A & X-Series are similar, they have the Sony house sound which is on the 'warm' side but detailed, some don't like that. I never liked the WM-A (lasted four days with me before being slung back at Amazon, mainly due to the pitiful volume-cap) and I only like the WM-X with certain genres ie old Soul music... the WM-Z is way more neutral sounding and I cannot hear (well remember) any discernible difference between the two versions of the WM-Z I've owned, in fact I've just bought another Z1070 (I now own two).... to my ears the WM-Z is by far the best sounding DAP I've owned, there may be better but I'm well satisfied with my purchases... if I have to be critical of the WM-Z, it is not very forgiving on poor recordings but that goes the same for any quality source (not speaking of only DAP's here).

Aug 16, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #107 of 188
If I could use the single-button clicker inline control on the Z Series Walkman I'd get one. Even the new F Series.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #110 of 188
Quote:

there lies the problem for most people judging the A-series to the WM-Z... I've owned/own both the US & Japanese versions of the WM-Z, I've also owned/own the Euro versions of the A & X-series.

UELover is right in saying that the A & X-Series are similar, they have the Sony house sound which is on the 'warm' side but detailed, some don't like that. I never liked the WM-A (lasted four days with me before being slung back at Amazon, mainly due to the pitiful volume-cap) and I only like the WM-X with certain genres ie old Soul music... the WM-Z is way more neutral sounding and I cannot hear (well remember) any discernible difference between the two versions of the WM-Z I've owned, in fact I've just bought another Z1070 (I now own two).... to my ears the WM-Z is by far the best sounding DAP I've owned, there may be better but I'm well satisfied with my purchases... if I have to be critical of the WM-Z, it is not very forgiving on poor recordings but that goes the same for any quality source (not speaking of only DAP's here).

i agree that the A and X are similar but not sure what version I listened to. the A has more "airyness" going on compared to x and thats it for me. everything else is similar.

Quote:
Headphones out of course.  The sound isn't identical but share the same characteristic including the tonality.  I'm speaking of the US version of the Z and A865 btw.

odd.. the one i tried with the Z is a US version as well, but I think the A series I tried is a japanese version and they quite sound different. for example, in order for the A to get the bass im hearing from the Z, i need to enable the clear bass for the A to compete with the stock bass coming from the Z. the Z sounds more "lively" when comparing with the A as well.

this is a Z1060 ( US ) and A867 ( JP ) btw

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #111 of 188
Now the question is how will the new F series compare sonically? ....the wrench in the works!

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #113 of 188
Quote:

odd.. the one i tried with the Z is a US version as well, but I think the A series I tried is a japanese version and they quite sound different. for example, in order for the A to get the bass im hearing from the Z, i need to enable the clear bass for the A to compete with the stock bass coming from the Z. the Z sounds more "lively" when comparing with the A as well.

this is a Z1060 ( US ) and A867 ( JP ) btw

IMO, the Z has more pronounced midbass which allows it to sound a little fuller in bass region.  However, the Japanese & US A walkmans' bass reach deeper octaves to my ears.  Another difference is the Z is more upfront while the A is more laid back.  This allows the Z to be more "lively" or "intimate" as you described it.  Still, the two share similar tonality as both are very closed to neutral.  Both the Z & A are more dynamics sounding and has better clarity and better soundstaging than the X1060 that I have.  I still have the A, X, and Z in my collection.  Comparison was made using my JH13pro.  Check out this review though:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607727/sony-walkman-nw-z1000-vs-nwz-a860-review-unboxing

Now let's us return to the F walkman anticipation thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back