Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Sep 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #32 of 601
  That's what I have said before.  They are pushing 4K TVs and contents hard, so push on HD music like 24/192 FLAC or DSD is not out of realm of reasons.

Yes you did. I just went fast through the post, while commuting home.

I will have to wait for this one. It has a PCM1795 inside. Knowing that Sony has one hell of a good engineering, I expect much from this one.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #33 of 601
A 9 min. DSD files takes up 500MB of space???

What is point of bringing out a product that cant be paired with any DAP that plays it (particularly Sony DAPs) and moreover a format that takes up so much space?

Just increase the battery life, make it removable, and let it drive high ohm headphones. Why bother with a format a fraction of people listen to.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #37 of 601
I guess it's inevitable that higher resolution formats will become the norm just like higher capacity storage, but there's no way DSD can be practical on a portable device until DAPs come with terabytes of storage. Even with 320kbps files and a very modest music library, I'm close to filling up 16GB.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #38 of 601
I guess it's inevitable that higher resolution formats will become the norm just like higher capacity storage, but there's no way DSD can be practical on a portable device until DAPs come with terabytes of storage. Even with 320kbps files and a very modest music library, I'm close to filling up 16GB.

Some day, when the hard drive lobby stops holding down high capacity SD-cards.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #39 of 601

Yes you did. I just went fast through the post, while commuting home.

I will have to wait for this one. It has a PCM1795 inside. Knowing that Sony has one hell of a good engineering, I expect much from this one.

My VC SDT does 64DSD too with the much newer PCM5102A, and might just get the PHA-2 just for 128DSD.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #40 of 601
  Come on Sony, Make DSD big

Sony killed off DSD / SACD a few years ago. The 5400ES was probably the last dedicated SACD player they will ever make. A few boutique labels do release DSD / SACDs on a limited basis, but there's only so much re-issued Brahms or Mahler one can handle.

Mic'ing, mixing, mastering, i.e. audio production/engineering techniques, will determine SQ much more than any final delivery format will. SACD tends to sound better because the masters are usually better than the original CDs or recently remastered CDs; the latter tends to sound horrible with massive compression and extra brightness added.

For most people, DSD shouldn't be a factor. Unless you are one of those few who have substantial SACDs ripped via a hacked Sony Playstation 3.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #41 of 601
  Sony seems to like high rez audio:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/sony-walkman-f886/

Recently they do.  It took them a while to get into the FLAC game, but I like their current direction.  IMHO they're less "gimmicky" than Cowon and offer an equal listening experience.  They're focusing very heavily on the audiophile market as of late and that's not a bad thing for us.

The F806 is a great player.  I love mine.  The F886 is everything I would change about my F806.  Maybe I see myself posting a classified soon... 
wink.gif

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #42 of 601

Sony killed off DSD / SACD a few years ago. The 5400ES was probably the last dedicated SACD player they will ever make. A few boutique labels do release DSD / SACDs on a limited basis, but there's only so much re-issued Brahms or Mahler one can handle.

Mic'ing, mixing, mastering, i.e. audio production/engineering techniques, will determine SQ much more than any final delivery format will. SACD tends to sound better because the masters are usually better than the original CDs or recently remastered CDs; the latter tends to sound horrible with massive compression and extra brightness added.

For most people, DSD shouldn't be a factor. Unless you are one of those few who have substantial SACDs ripped via a hacked Sony Playstation 3.

DSD is very much a current priority for Sony.  These is a reason why almost everything they are releasing these days has DSD. Just wait.  They are going to push this from the studio side.  It really is a dream come true for the Head-Fi community.  

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #43 of 601
I am one of those people and regret not just paying a service to rip the redbook layer of most of my SACDs. It took forever to find a pristine ps3, then I had to dink with it to keep it safe from YLOD, and finally it took too much of my life to get DSD rips of hundreds of discs.

Come on Sony, Make DSD big

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #44 of 601
Good to know the Sony PHA is receiving an upgrade! :D these will definitely be on my wish list together with the MA900 xD I hope this time Sony get the output impedance right by lower it down to <1Ohm that way I can use it with my XBA-4 or else I'll just give it to my brother 

Billson :D

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #45 of 601
  Good to know the Sony PHA is receiving an upgrade! :D these will definitely be on my wish list together with the MA900 xD I hope this time Sony get the output impedance right by lower it down to <1Ohm that way I can use it with my XBA-4 or else I'll just give it to my brother 

Billson :D

Thanks. That would definitely motivate Sony engineers.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back