Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Jul 17, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #587 of 601
  Well one of the main selling points for me (and for a friend of mine who wants to buy it) was that it has a replaceable battery, so since no one else was giving me any info, I was kinda relying on you. lol Even Sony I believe said it wasn't replaceable. lol

Yeah I'm looking down the line as I wanna keep the PHA-2 for as long as possible (it's not cheap! lol). But I'm glad to hear you've gotten a lot of use from it over the last year! That makes me happy. 
gs1000.gif

Thank you for the very detailed explanation. Sounds time consuming, but I guess that's better than having to buy another device. lol 

Do you have any suggestions as how to remove the battery from the glue? I won't glue it back after, but for the first part, is there a certain way of doing it that's safe? 

Thanks so much!!

You are supposed to be able to replace the battery via Sony Custom Service. Doing it on your own is possible too but as usual, it's not recommanded...
Battery not being replaceable means here you can't swap it easily like with old devices.

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #589 of 601
SonyVores, 

I may try out having Sony do it too, if the price isn't too much. But thanks for suggesting that. It's just that when I asked them, they said it's not replaceable. I guess they meant they would rather charge me for them to do it vs me doing it myself for free. lol 

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #592 of 601
Hello All PHA-2 owners! 

I am thinking about getting the PHA-2 because i believe i can get it for a fairly good price which is $299 CAD ($215USD). I just have a few questions if you guys can help me answer them. 

1. Can i use the PHA2 as a DAC so for example hook it up to my PC via USB then use the Line out to my amplifier (marantz PM6005) and play music that way? (because i heard this has a fairly good DAC section).

2. Can i hook up my iphone 6+ with the lightning connector and use the line out to the 'aux in' of another receiver? 

3. If this is primarily at my desktop, will i have any issues with the battery draining? since it will be plugged in for a while. 

4. will it drive my range of headphones (please see my signature, include future hifi as well!) 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!!! 

Jan 2, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #594 of 601
I'm quite sad that nobody has said anything! Someone help!!

Jan 3, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #596 of 601
What would be a good option then in the $300 cad or $215 usd price range

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #598 of 601
  Hello All PHA-2 owners! 

I am thinking about getting the PHA-2 because i believe i can get it for a fairly good price which is $299 CAD ($215USD). I just have a few questions if you guys can help me answer them. 

1. Can i use the PHA2 as a DAC so for example hook it up to my PC via USB then use the Line out to my amplifier (marantz PM6005) and play music that way? (because i heard this has a fairly good DAC section).

2. Can i hook up my iphone 6+ with the lightning connector and use the line out to the 'aux in' of another receiver? 

3. If this is primarily at my desktop, will i have any issues with the battery draining? since it will be plugged in for a while. 

4. will it drive my range of headphones (please see my signature, include future hifi as well!) 

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out!!! 

It's probably far too late (Head-fi doesn't have a lot of active threads I noticed) but:

1.) Yes. And yes, the PHA-2 is pretty good. It was certainly a lot better than the PHA1 was. Not in the same league as the PHA-3. But also not in the same price range.

2.) Yes.

3.) Actually I had less issues with the PHA-2 and battery than I did with the PHA-3. But that's probably because the PHA-3 is a battery murderer with the balanced outs. If you leave it plugged in and attached you'll have no issues.

4.) You can for sure drive the Fostex with it. That thing can drive off my phone. Don't have the Denon but going to assume it's similarly easy to drive like fostex. The Audeze LCD2 will be a problem. You'll get sound out of it and probably fairly loud, but it won't sound as good as it could. 

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #599 of 601
Hi,

I have one of these coming in used. I figure the battery is going to be thrashed and I will sooner or later have to replace it. If so is there a guide online somewhere on how to do this or where to source OEM Sony batteries?

By the way I don't intend to use this portably at all, just on my desk from laptop to my amp or headphones. Could I operate it this way indefinitely with a dead or thrashed battery? Just drawing power from the USB connection the laptop?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #600 of 601
So I got this, better condition than I expected and the battery seems solid. Works great as intended as my desktop pre-amp/DSD decoder.

As an experiment I tried hooking up my ZX300 DAP via it's WM port to the PHA-2s USB but I couldn't get any sound out.

Any advice on if this should be possible and if so what settings to use on the ZX300?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back