Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Aug 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #557 of 601

Not sure what to make of the balanced output with separate L/R jacks.

Probably taken the idea from pro-audio where two mono 6.4mm plugs are used for balanced signal, then just swap it to 3.5mm mono.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #558 of 601
  Probably taken the idea from pro-audio where two mono 6.4mm plugs are used for balanced signal, then just swap it to 3.5mm mono.

Yeah, Resonessence does the same thing with the Invicta but with 6.3mm plugs. With this setup, they'll need to manufacture balanced cables with the "airplane adapter" style heads, which are big and non-rotatable, or go with a split cable. I guess Sony just likes to do things differently.

Aug 29, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #560 of 601
IMO, they don't look as good as PHA-2 but it does look interesting thought xD

This would be my comparison.

PHA-2:

PHA-3 Prototype:

I dont normally get too worked up over aesthetics but is that really something Sony would be happy to slap their brand on ? All the work they put into their HT and desktop 2-channel offerings, not to mention their phones and Walkman line, then they let something like this loose at a show ?  I'm hoping it's just some wag having a little fun with Photoshop. 

Aug 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #561 of 601
I like the old look better as well, but it is more from a practical POV as having nearly one side of the volume knob blocked is not my idea of being practical. At least in the old model you can still reach it by the finger tip.

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #562 of 601
Interesting. So correct my musings please.

To get balanced i would have my standard headphones/iems terminated
At the usual 3.5mm plug, then would attach a splitter cable of sorts presto- balanced?

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #566 of 601
Just a question, it might have been answered a long time ago, sorry if it has.
But can the PHA-2 be used as a DAC while charging from the pc? ie. charge and play through the micro-usb?
I might have read that it cannot be used as an amp while charging.

Thanks.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #567 of 601
  Just a question, it might have been answered a long time ago, sorry if it has.
But can the PHA-2 be used as a DAC while charging from the pc? ie. charge and play through the micro-usb?
I might have read that it cannot be used as an amp while charging.

Thanks.

You read that correctly - the amp needs to be turned off to allow charging. Sony's engineers clearly envisioned that PHA-2 users would simply put their units on charge overnight - every night given the relatively poor battery life. The upside is that it sounds fantastic - from comments on Sony's desktop music servers it would seem that there is a similar trade-off between design idiosyncrasies and sound quality. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #568 of 601
Did a quick search in the thread but could not find an answer. It's for people pairing the PHA-2 with the Sony ZX1.

Have instances where the walkman outputs to its speaker (i.e. it doesn't recognise it's paired with the PHA-2 using the supplied digital cable). Keen to know if anyone experiences this and what solution they found for it. The only way I can go around it at the minute is to restart the ZX1 altogether and then replug to the PHA-2.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #569 of 601
Hi,

Hope the owners of PHA-2 on this forum will be able to help me with the potential issues I am having with mine.
I've had this unit for 3 months now and I am pretty stoked with its sound.
Now, I know PHA-2 battery life leaves a lot to be desired but lately I'm thinking that my unit is even below the worst measurements published here. I performed some tests recently and got the following:

Test 1. Hooked up to ipod nano 7g lighting connector (DAC) playing 128kbs mp3's   cca 5 hrs
Test 2. Hooked up to ZX1 WM port (DAC) playing FLAC 16 bit 44khz files                 cca 3.5 hrs

I charge my PHA2 using Sony's wall/usb adapter. It charges from empty to full within 3.5 hrs. 
Heaadphones used in testing were MDR1 (low gain setting), moderate amplification.

Does PHA-2 leaks(uses) the battery even when its switched off (volume knob is in off position)?

Please chime in.

Regards

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #570 of 601
Hello friends. Im registered here for your help. English is not my native language so sorry for my English.
 I have nwz zx1 and pha-2. My problem is randomly sound popping/crack (one shot) not often, when zx1 connected to pha-2 via wm port.. im turned off all in sound settings (display touch sound and etc.), turn off wifi, do hardreset no luck. audio format does not matter (mp3,flac,waw).
  In analog mode i dont have this problem (via zx1 3.5 output), when connect to pc (foobar 2000 + Sony ASIO driver) also dont have that issue. Maybe it just hight sensitive to Zx1 hard parts or soft (androind)?? I dont know. It is not big problem for music listenning at all but i want know does it normal? Big thank you. Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back