Sony's DSD-capable PHA-2 portable headphone amp/DAC
Jun 9, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #526 of 601
Wondering by now if someone has had the chance to compare the PHA-2 with some other amps/dacs of the same price range.
I'm considering the PHA-2 and JDS Labs O2/ODAC.

Jun 9, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #527 of 601
  Wondering by now if someone has had the chance to compare the PHA-2 with some other amps/dacs of the same price range.

Hi GTan,

Which headphones are you hoping to use with the amp?  

If they're not efficient, you might want to check the output power specs of the PHA-2 - it's amp is "weak" for a lot of full-size headphones.

Mike

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #528 of 601
Just and FYI to anyone interested in this amp/dac. The price has dropped $100 to $499.99 retail. Most authorized sellers have already adjusted their prices.
Check Sony: http://store.sony.com/portable-hi-res-dac-headphone-amplifier-zid27-PHA2/cat-27-catid-Collections-10R-Series-Headphones

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #529 of 601

Similar to GTan, I was wondering if anyone had the opportunity to compare this againts the "Nano – iCAN" or "Nano – iDSD" (http://ifi-audio.com/products/nano/). The iDSD in particular has great specs regarding it's DAC performance ("PCM (32bit/384kHz), DSD (6.2MHz) and DXD (384kHz) via Computer or iPhone/iPad/Android").
Thoughts anyone?

Jun 10, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #530 of 601
I heard both theorem and centrance. I feel the pha2 pairs very well with my jh roxannes while listening to spotify on my iPod touch as it adds and takes nothing away and gives just enough drive to really power my iems. Due to the high sensitivity nature of the roxannes, the supposedly 'weak' amp section pairs very well as it introduces a zero hiss noise floor compared to the theorem that gives a hiss and the centrance that adds warmth to the music.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #531 of 601
I heard both theorem and centrance. I feel the pha2 pairs very well with my jh roxannes while listening to spotify on my iPod touch as it adds and takes nothing away and gives just enough drive to really power my iems. Due to the high sensitivity nature of the roxannes, the supposedly 'weak' amp section pairs very well as it introduces a zero hiss noise floor compared to the theorem that gives a hiss and the centrance that adds warmth to the music.

Thanks for the feedback jayboy76. I'll be looking to drive my new UE900 as well as an XBA3. Both of which I don't think are as sensitive as your Roxannes.

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #536 of 601
Hugo ain't pha2 kinda portable ..more like "carry it with you somewhere " kinda portable. On my trips, it appears only in hotel room table tops, the pha2 goes with me on the tube and walks. :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #537 of 601

Could you please share what "new level" was added to your sony zx1? My curiosity is piqued.

Although I bought it to drive my ipod , I tired connecting my ak240 line-out to the PHa-2 as an amp and I must say the amp adds more punch and dynamics to the internal amp of the ak240 when driving the mad dogs planar headphones. Differences were less obvious on iems as the ak240 has a mighty enough amp section for iems.

Now I can't wait to A/B the PHa-2 driving my iPod with my Chord Hugo at home, though I do suspect I know the winner already in this case.

Difficult to pinpoint the exact differences but I'll try.
If I use my Ety er4s with the amp section it gives a bit more volume but for me doesn't change the signature of the Zx1, which is no bad thing. However when I use the dac section it seems to add more volume power but also gives a smoother sound. Now this isnt to say that the ZX1 needs this as it sounds stellar without the PHA-2 esp with my AKG K3003 but the PHA-2 does seem to just add a little something very nice to the mix.
I wouldnt say it adds loads of extra bass or anything else amazing just kind off smooths everything and makes it sound a bit more amazing.

I know some would rather a more in depth description but I cant put into words the very subtle difference it makes.

Adding on to what U mentioned, when I am using the Shure SE535LTD, I will hook it up to the PHA-2 and I'm an amateur in audio stuff but I can say the music sounds smooth and sweet, just that little bit more if directly connected to the ZX-1. Very nice but when using cans....PHA-2 will be abit weak and that is when I hook my PHA-2 to my E12DIY to pump up the power.

Jul 9, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #538 of 601
Adding on to what U mentioned, when I am using the Shure SE535LTD, I will hook it up to the PHA-2 and I'm an amateur in audio stuff but I can say the music sounds smooth and sweet, just that little bit more if directly connected to the ZX-1. Very nice but when using cans....PHA-2 will be abit weak and that is when I hook my PHA-2 to my E12DIY to pump up the power.

Wow, that's quite a stack! Zx1 into pha2 into e12!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back