Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 17, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #9,452 of 9,644
Feb 18, 2024 at 7:07 AM Post #9,455 of 9,644
I honestly can't remember, maybe eBay some years back, I had it to tighten the clamp force as I couldn't move without them slipping off
I see, what I was thinking it would help preserve the headband leather. So it's more for the clamping force.

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #9,456 of 9,644
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #9,457 of 9,644
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #9,458 of 9,644
Guys, so I use a nw-zx507 mostly and I use AutoEq settings, however I threw it all on unfiltered and it sounds so much better. I'm wondering if there's some advice ya'll could give if I was to Eq it a bit? I've probably seen most of the guides though I'm unsure about allot of it for whatever reason.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:39 PM Post #9,459 of 9,644
Guys, so I use a nw-zx507 mostly and I use AutoEq settings, however I threw it all on unfiltered and it sounds so much better. I'm wondering if there's some advice ya'll could give if I was to Eq it a bit? I've probably seen most of the guides though I'm unsure about allot of it for whatever reason.
By "unfiltered", do you mean you used the plain AutoEQ settings and it sounded better, or did it sound better if you didn't use EQ? Not quite certain on what you meant in that context.

With EQ, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. There are generally 4 parts of the sound that people take issue with: the large midbass hump, the 3KHz peak, the suck-out in the lower treble from 4-9K, and the 10K peak.

If you don't like the bassiness, a broad -3 dB peak filter at 125 Hz (wide Q, like 1.41 in Equalizer APO) should cut down on the boominess. If you do that, the bass becomes quite tight and impactful.

The 3K and 10K peaks are difficult to EQ out, so I'll only EQ them to counteract the side-effects of other EQ filters. The other part that people will find strange is the general recession between 4K and 9K. Combine that with the peak and you get a very recessed and sucked-out midrange. You'd need a wide-band peak filter around 5.9K, Q=1, and a boost of 3 to 6 dB. But then you'd need two filters on either side at 3.3K and 10.5K that are narrow and negative to cut down on the peaks, because a single wide filter will elevate those peaks even more. Something like -3 dB, Q=5. This will raise up the overtones of vocals and strings, giving them more bite and texture. However, this will also diminish the spatial qualities in the midrange.

I think it's tempting to try to cut down the 10K peak, but you'll want to high-shelf the upper treble up in that case, otherwise the detail of treble-heavy instruments is blunted or lost.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #9,460 of 9,644
Does anybody have the 1-case solution for mdr-z1r + dap + iem?

i want to buy a peli 1550 or 1600 in order to put my mdr-z1r, wm1zm2 and ier-z1r in it. when i travel, i would like to have these in 1 case in my car. So far, i have individual cases for each solution at home. This is fine as well. But i think a 1-case solution is more convenient.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #9,461 of 9,644
Does anybody have the 1-case solution for mdr-z1r + dap + iem?

i want to buy a peli 1550 or 1600 in order to put my mdr-z1r, wm1zm2 and ier-z1r in it. when i travel, i would like to have these in 1 case in my car. So far, i have individual cases for each solution at home. This is fine as well. But i think a 1-case solution is more convenient.
Geekira via Amazon

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #9,463 of 9,644
Geekira via Amazon
i have it, but this one it too small or the dap and iem is loose insight.

1708697782173.jpeg

This is the largest version from them.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #9,465 of 9,644
By "unfiltered", do you mean you used the plain AutoEQ settings and it sounded better, or did it sound better if you didn't use EQ? Not quite certain on what you meant in that context.

With EQ, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. There are generally 4 parts of the sound that people take issue with: the large midbass hump, the 3KHz peak, the suck-out in the lower treble from 4-9K, and the 10K peak.

If you don't like the bassiness, a broad -3 dB peak filter at 125 Hz (wide Q, like 1.41 in Equalizer APO) should cut down on the boominess. If you do that, the bass becomes quite tight and impactful.

The 3K and 10K peaks are difficult to EQ out, so I'll only EQ them to counteract the side-effects of other EQ filters. The other part that people will find strange is the general recession between 4K and 9K. Combine that with the peak and you get a very recessed and sucked-out midrange. You'd need a wide-band peak filter around 5.9K, Q=1, and a boost of 3 to 6 dB. But then you'd need two filters on either side at 3.3K and 10.5K that are narrow and negative to cut down on the peaks, because a single wide filter will elevate those peaks even more. Something like -3 dB, Q=5. This will raise up the overtones of vocals and strings, giving them more bite and texture. However, this will also diminish the spatial qualities in the midrange.

I think it's tempting to try to cut down the 10K peak, but you'll want to high-shelf the upper treble up in that case, otherwise the detail of treble-heavy instruments is blunted or lost.
I really appreciate your reply, let me word it a little better this time. I guess...
My nwzx507 sounds better without the eqaulizer being anything other than flat really using my MDR-Z1R. I also swapped the pads to memory foam dekoni's.
I was using autoeq settings for my headphones plugged as best as possible into my sony digital audio player. I have a ten band 0.5 increment adjustment.

What I'm curious though is how you would approach from a base line and asjust knowing these common problems of these headphones I guess is where I'd like to be able to eq from. Though this is just my thought and maybe it would be best to start with autoeq's settings.

Also, kind of a big one but is there much of a following in this community against using eq? I think I saw that somewhere on this forum sometime ago. Almost like your adjusting against it's naturalness to make sound it doesn't work as well, but idk I'm just wondering where people do stand on that out of curioisty as I'm still trying to learn eq and am just wondering what there points might of been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back