Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jan 23, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #9,436 of 9,686
Looks like the Z1R is back in stock at Audio46, so it seems that it's still in production and shipping out to dealers. I had heard from a different dealer the rumor that a previous shipment last year was going to be the last one, but it seems that's not the case. And CES has come and gone without an announcement of a successor, so the Z1R will probably remain Sony's flagship headphone for at least another year.

Good to hear. I wonder what their sales strategy is. It's been out of stock (except for one store in Austria! which is apparently the only one that can still order it from Sony) in the EU for about a year or more. Why do that in such a huge market if you're still producing the unit. Baffling.

Jan 23, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #9,437 of 9,686
Good to hear. I wonder what their sales strategy is. It's been out of stock (except for one store in Austria! which is apparently the only one that can still order it from Sony) in the EU for about a year or more. Why do that in such a huge market if you're still producing the unit. Baffling.
I was living next to the Sony Center in Berlin and the employee told me that just nobody buys them and so they don't order them

Jan 23, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #9,438 of 9,686
Silly Germans,

The Z1R is quite a nice headphone. You would think all of the attention to detail and manufacturing might appeal to such a discerning crowd? I'm also not surprised that there may not be a successor coming out this year. Economies around the globe are generally slower so might as well wait for a market upturn.

Jan 23, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #9,439 of 9,686
One reason could be the age of this headphone. It is in market since 2016 so many who were interested got it either new or used. Same with 800s, every time I buy it I get it from used market as it is always available in used market.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #9,441 of 9,686
How many hours have you been able to listen to Z1R before your ears warmed up? I was reading and article and that was one negative they found about them.
The longest single session I’ve done is probably 3-4 hours

Jan 27, 2024 at 8:04 AM Post #9,443 of 9,686
Hello everyone, I am a z1r owner from China. To be sure, the current second-hand price of z1r in China has fallen to 6k rmb equivalent to about 835 US dollars. While the new z1r may be in short supply, they are plentiful in second-hand market, so there is no guarantee that SONY will be able to release a new one this year.

Jan 27, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #9,444 of 9,686
And I have a question, I saw in Taiwan and the mainland of China headphone forum, someone tried to modify STAX electrostatic headphone cable to connect to z1r, it is said that the effect is good, I do not know overseas anyone tried it? And they also believed that SR-007's cable would be better than SR-009's. I found the modification works on Taobao with a good price about 300$, which is much cheaper than other expensive silver cables.

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #9,445 of 9,686
Hello everyone, I am a z1r owner from China. To be sure, the current second-hand price of z1r in China has fallen to 6k rmb equivalent to about 835 US dollars. While the new z1r may be in short supply, they are plentiful in second-hand market, so there is no guarantee that SONY will be able to release a new one this year.
That's very good news, so I can buy a brand new pair. I've seen waiting for a while.lol

Jan 30, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #9,446 of 9,686
For US customers; https://sony.encompass.com/

You can order placement parts for the MDR Z1R but price is not great. 122 for a single earpad (just one side!)

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #9,447 of 9,686
A couple of years back I sold my unit due to work set up constraints but after finding a good deal on a used set locally I decided to buy them again and I am happy I did.

I really missed the fullness of sound that the z1r brings to the table. The added emotion to the music as well. I guess this will be weeks and months of audio bliss again.

Haven't used my hd800 much except on times I feel I need to take them out to see if they still works.

Feb 17, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #9,448 of 9,686
Happy weekend everyone !
Screenshot_20240217-133136~2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back