Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Oct 3, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #9,212 of 9,709
Oct 3, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #9,213 of 9,709
Yes, I also have that in my mind... have to decide which route to go. Also, adapters are not cheap too. So, I am not sure it is worth it.
Do you have any in mind particularly?
Yes going from the stock 4.4 cable you can do a female 4.4 to male xlr adapter which should work fine if you are happy with the sound from the stock cable

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #9,216 of 9,709
I just received Z1R.
I really don't know what the heck are you all talking about. Is this for real, I am so, so confused!!??
I'm not a 100% what you meant there, but maybe you're first impressions aren't the greatest, right? That's what happened to me exactly one year ago. My first thought, that night was "oh, fudge. I've just wasted a good amount of money and will have a hard time trying to sell it where I live."

But the next day I spent with it on my head all day long, all the time thinking it was a bad investment. Then had dinner, poured some whisky and went for more music with the Z1R, at a certain song, boom, everything opened up, the stage got wider and deeper, and I had my an eargasm. It was like my brain finally clicked to its unique sound signature. Since the, we're inseparable.

So give some time for brain burn-in to happen, and try not to compare it to any of your headphones. Don't even listen to them for a while. I realized Z1R is a kind of jealous lover. It demands you to be faithful. With me at least, every time I spend too much time with a more neutral HP and come to it, it sounds a little off, but my brain clicks back to it pretty quickly now.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #9,219 of 9,709
I wanted to say that the utopia mops the floor with the Z1R, but at the end Z1R are great too. I see them for different scenarios:
Utopia -> for quiet and when albums sound weird on Z1R
Z1R -> for noisy situations and isolation us needed
I'm not a 100% what you meant there, but maybe you're first impressions aren't the greatest, right? That's what happened to me exactly one year ago. My first thought, that night was "oh, fudge. I've just wasted a good amount of money and will have a hard time trying to sell it where I live."

But the next day I spent with it on my head all day long, all the time thinking it was a bad investment. Then had dinner, poured some whisky and went for more music with the Z1R, at a certain song, boom, everything opened up, the stage got wider and deeper, and I had my an eargasm. It was like my brain finally clicked to its unique sound signature. Since the, we're inseparable.

So give some time for brain burn-in to happen, and try not to compare it to any of your headphones. Don't even listen to them for a while. I realized Z1R is a kind of jealous lover. It demands you to be faithful. With me at least, every time I spend too much time with a more neutral HP and come to it, it sounds a little off, but my brain clicks back to it pretty quickly now.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #9,220 of 9,709
I just received Z1R.
I really don't know what the heck are you all talking about. Is this for real, I am so, so confused!!??
Don't use the stock cables. Get an OCC copper or OCC silver cable.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #9,221 of 9,709
Yes, I get it...but I doubt that something will change until tomorrow...this is how I feel right now :sob::sweat:
That's sort of the deal with Sonys. When I got my Z7M2, the first 15 minutes all I was thinking was "what the hell is this muddy mess that I'm listening to???" Then I decided to reset my mental expectations of what I want to hear, and just listen to what the headphone was trying to present to me, and then it clicked for me. And now the Z7 is my favorite closed-back, beating out technically superior headphones like the Aeon 2 Noire.

But Sony headphones are also "love it or hate it". Some people never get used to the sound and/or it never clicks with them. For others it clicks after a while. And some people love it immediately.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #9,222 of 9,709
Yes, I get it...but I doubt that something will change until tomorrow...this is how I feel right now :sob::sweat:
The Z1R are all their own with a sound sig that is for imersion and enjoyment and in no way “correct” or “reference” and I love them, they are the best headphones I’ve tried for my taste and the only headphone I have owned the last over 5 years as I sold everything else after getting them. However the stock cable in my opinion really let them down, a good (not necesarily expensive) pure copper or pure silver cable is the way to go.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #9,223 of 9,709
The Z1R are all their own with a sound sig that is for imersion and enjoyment and in no way “correct” or “reference” and I love them, they are the best headphones I’ve tried for my taste and the only headphone I have owned the last over 5 years as I sold everything else after getting them. However the stock cable in my opinion really let them down, a good (not necesarily expensive) pure copper or pure silver cable is the way to go.
The Z1R got here one year ago. I bought them used, but in pristine condition. And they've also become my favorite pair to a point where I've sold or given away every other headphone I had (Edition XS, HD600, Grado SR80X, HE6se V1, Arya Stealth) and kept it as my only daily driver.

I love its "uncorrectedness", the way it stages and present music with grandiosity. Every other headphone now sounds tiny.

And the stock cables feel just all right to me. I have nothing to complain about. I'm even afraid to get a different cable and alter something I love so much.

Ah, the source, however, I have tried some and the Z1R show its ability to scale really well depending on how you feed them. My favorite combo is Bifrost 2 + Burson SLmk2, which make'em sound really, really life like.

Oct 5, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #9,224 of 9,709
OK...people. GOTCHA!!!!! :)

What I really meant was...I am crying and sweating out of excitement...this is a MASTERPIECE!!! And I mean it!
From the bottom to the top, this is so well thought out and made that it has no flaws. Yeah, people will complain, but this is a masterpiece!

I first saw the Sony card box, which was thick and beautifully designed. And then inside the box, the headphones...wow, I thought that Sennheiser made a beautiful box for HD820...but this one is just an example to everyone who makes high-end, expensive headphones...and delivers them in some cheap, thin card boxes. And when I took them out, I was so surprised at how light they were! From the pictures, I thought it would be something completely different. It just gives the impression that they are on the heavier side looking at the photos....but, no...so light! Material...just amazing...and finally, when you put them on...I wonder how did they manage that they fit so perfectly!!! Just stunning...and there is the sound...

OK, people, I was kidding, I just had to...I apologize! For a bit of fun...if I didn't think the best of the cans...I would never come here and cry about it; that's not me. I would let you enjoy...but man...they sound amazing!!! It's not that I don't have experience with other high-end headphones; I do...and these are also overwhelmingly amazing! I just don't get people complaining about any of the high-end headphones...so I will never know what I miss that people don't like about Z1R sound (and frankly, I don't care either)??? Stock cable...aesthetically, the only thing I would consider as a minor con is that it should look more premium...but it serves the purpose...I have no complaints.
I did have some ideas about what I would like to get from the closed-back headphones...and this is absolutely that!

HUH...I will stop now...I was excited with other headphones (and grateful for having them)...and Sony, if it's not sitting on the top alone...it shares it proudly!!! Sony...finally!!! HAHA..beautiful!

I am glad that I joined the club of happy Z1R owners...and in Europe, it's so hard to get a new pair...I did it!!! :)))

ENJOY!!!

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back