Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Feb 15, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #8,911 of 9,746
You could also Get a black dragon for it. Or heimdall 2.

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #8,912 of 9,746
Feb 15, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #8,913 of 9,746
i’m waiting for my z1r to arrive. i was looking at the kimber cable and every time i see it for sale it’s listed as genuine unboxed (with the same images across multiple sellers).

anyone bought a MUC-B20SB1 recently - are they are genuine?

thanks
I'd seen those for the IEMs and been tempted but fortunately came across some info regarding how to spot the fakes. If you search this thread using the term 'fake' it should come up with the shared post. There are photos showing the differences of the logo and connectors. There is also a post somewhere showing a join underneath the splitter, which was suspected to be someone making cables from Kimber offcuts.

Feb 15, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #8,915 of 9,746
i’m waiting for my z1r to arrive. i was looking at the kimber cable and every time i see it for sale it’s listed as genuine unboxed (with the same images across multiple sellers).

thanks
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-wm1a.815841/post-15858926

This is an extensive guide on fakes.

Personally, I think they do nothing at all to the sound of the headphone. The stock cable sounds identical. In my opinion someone's money is better spent elsewhere, such as on music.

Feb 16, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #8,916 of 9,746
i imagine they are fakes as it’s the same photos used again and again - and some of the sellers have 100s of them. i think i’ll keep with the stock one if the sound doesn’t change much too. thanks

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #8,918 of 9,746
There's no real physics basis for cable changing sound. That's not how current works. it's a very large snake oil industry. But sound is largely in the mind. if you think something sounds better it to some degree will. not the audio signal itself (FRs don't change with cables for example) but your minds processing

same things happen with visual stimulus for food or when people see designer labels.

I think bang for buck it's better spent on other things.

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #8,919 of 9,746
Fair play. I know my journey through hifi would be a pity without cables allowing a different signature i prefer. The are no 'better or worse', but most certainly different.
A top case for example are the Sony M9 ier i recently bought from a great headfier. I could not believe how 'dead they sounded. Swapoed out to a different cable i already owed. Day and night, hence i have held on to them. A similar story with my Z1Rs. I knew all was not right, swapped to the Sony Kimber, huge improvement instantly, but WOW with silver, they will go to my grave with me.

Feb 16, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #8,920 of 9,746
Fair play. I know my journey through hifi would be a pity without cables allowing a different signature i prefer. The are no 'better or worse', but most certainly different.
A top case for example are the Sony M9 ier i recently bought from a great headfier. I could not believe how 'dead they sounded. Swapoed out to a different cable i already owed. Day and night, hence i have held on to them. A similar story with my Z1Rs. I knew all was not right, swapped to the Sony Kimber, huge improvement instantly, but WOW with silver, they will go to my grave with me.
The stock cable to me is not very good and probably the reason for all the debacle about the 10khz peak in the early reviews. This changed a lot with the Axios cable and more/different with the Lavri silver cable I now use. If I had stuck with the stock cable I most likely would have sold the Z1R again after a short time

Feb 16, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #8,921 of 9,746

thanks
I was lucky to buy one from a Japan seller in ebay, it came with box and confirm genuine. I have another Sony Kimber with 6.3mm bought from Sony store, I have compared them and they look identical in cable form and connectors except the other one is 4.4mm from ebay. I have tried checking the seller, forget it, he got last piece, and the price is more than double.

If ur still interested, pls pm me, maybe u can try negotiating with the seller. Try not to buy those that come without box, too risky.

Honestly, just my opinion, price too high above the Sony retail price is not worth it, it's better to go other oem cable. I gave up searching for Sony Kimber for ier Z1R and went for Brise Audio cable instead.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #8,922 of 9,746
Cables have for sure made a very noticeable difference in my setup. Biggest difference is on hp cable and powercable on dac.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #8,923 of 9,746
The stock cable to me is not very good and probably the reason for all the debacle about the 10khz peak in the early reviews. This changed a lot with the Axios cable and more/different with the Lavri silver cable I now use. If I had stuck with the stock cable I most likely would have sold the Z1R again after a short time
+1 for Lavri cable. Enjoying the Z1R more with it compared to stock.

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #8,924 of 9,746
+1 for Lavri cable. Enjoying the Z1R more with it compared to stock.
i had only the stock cable when i sold mine. when reading your experiences with cables, i want to buy again the z1r.

is this the right configuration for the taz / wm1z (m2) ?

do you all said "yes" to "locking plugs"?
because when choosing "yes", i must take "headphone plugs" = "gold" - and cannot choose "rhodium" anymore.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 16, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #8,925 of 9,746
i had only the stock cable when i sold mine. when reading your experiences with cables, i want to buy again the z1r.

is this the right configuration for the taz / wm1z (m2) ?

do you all said "yes" to "locking plugs"?
because when choosing "yes", i must take "headphone plugs" = "gold" - and cannot choose "rhodium" anymore.
This was my order:

Ultimate Silver Sony IER Z1R IER-M9 IER-M7 mmcx upgrade cable - 1.2 m
  • Length:
    1.2 m
  • Iem plugs:
    Lavricables rhodium plated
  • Plug:
    Carbon 4.4mm bal. straight Rhodium
  • Y splitter:
    Lavricables carbon
  • Silk sleeving:
    Black sleeving