Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #8,806 of 9,746
Yes, the Z7 has the same dimensions and offer a pleasant wearing experience.
What are your reasons for the Z7M2 purchase? Need a more portable set or a different flavour?
I wanted to demo the M2 in Japan but the store was busy and had a 6.3mm cable connected to an amp so I could try with my Walkman. I ended up with a good priced Z7 for movies, which do the job, but for music they are a very hit and miss, hence the idea of returning to the Z1R.
I've just sort of missed the Z7 since I sold it in favor of the Z1R. I was looking at those used as well, but none met my condition preferences. So I figured I would try something new and see how the models compare. As far as use case, I want a backup for the Z1R, really, just in case anything happens. I also want to use them to listen to TV wirelessly (with a Fiio BTR3K), and the Z1R is overkill for that, and I don't want to wear it out on silly TV shows. And I get another 4.4mm Pentaconn cable out of the deal.

Dec 8, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #8,807 of 9,746
I've just sort of missed the Z7 since I sold it in favor of the Z1R. I was looking at those used as well, but none met my condition preferences. So I figured I would try something new and see how the models compare. As far as use case, I want a backup for the Z1R, really, just in case anything happens. I also want to use them to listen to TV wirelessly (with a Fiio BTR3K), and the Z1R is overkill for that, and I don't want to wear it out on silly TV shows. And I get another 4.4mm Pentaconn cable out of the deal.
I was very lucky to get a rare mint Z7 10kms from my home, otherwise the factors of buying internationally with exchange rates, fees etc etc etc rules most options out before I even get to consider their condition.
Unfortunately I would have to sell my Z7 to fund them so I'm taking my time to consider the factors. I use them with my BTR7 for TV and movies and mostly want to gain benefits there, but also having a TOTL overhead alternative to my IER-Z1R.

Dec 8, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #8,808 of 9,746
I was very lucky to get a rare mint Z7 10kms from my home, otherwise the factors of buying internationally with exchange rates, fees etc etc etc rules most options out before I even get to consider their condition.
Unfortunately I would have to sell my Z7 to fund them so I'm taking my time to consider the factors. I use them with my BTR7 for TV and movies and mostly want to gain benefits there, but also having a TOTL overhead alternative to my IER-Z1R.
Well, I will try my best to compare the M2 with my memories of the M1 :)

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #8,810 of 9,746
I'll add that for the first time last night listening to Detach from the Interstellar soundtrack with the Z1R, all of the sounds separately nicely enough to present a cohesive image. The puzzle pieces fit well with a very difficult song to pull off to such a degree without it sounding like instruments were lost or sounds were smeared together. I was very impressed. If you know that song Detach you know exactly what i mean. Z1R is very a capable headphone.

The Black Dragon cable arrived yesterday and in addition to the Dekoni Velours, I'm quite happy with the Z1R so far. I found myself not really feeling like something was missing in the frequency response or technical area - says a lot. Will keep listening.

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #8,811 of 9,746
Quick impressions of Z7M2 - they offer perhaps 75% of the performance at a third of the price of the Z1R. The soundstage is a tad smaller, and there is less energy in the treble and detail in the bass. But it is not bass light, the vocals aren't scooped (as alleged by Zeos), and it really is a very similar sound signature and listening experience to the Z1R. Sony has done a great job differentiating these two cans at their price levels while maintaining the "house sound." I would choose the Z1R every time when it comes to "serious music listening," but if I had these headphones without the Z1R to compare to I would be very pleased.

As far as movies go, this is a great set of cans. I am listening via Bluetooth with my Fiio BTR3K. The bass is thunderous on "Star Wars Revenge of the Sith" and the detail and sense of space/position is good. I have no trouble recommending them for movies or games.

Build and comfort-wise, they are on par with the Z1R, and are smaller, feel slightly lighter, and do look less dorky from the outside. At its retail price (currently $500-$600 depending on international vs US warranty versions), the Z7M2 represents a solid but not "great" value (I still think the Dan Clark/Drop Aeon Open and Closed X cans occupy that "great" value slot at retail price). If you can get them used in very good condition as I did for ~350, though, the value evens out and the Sony house sound might tip the balance (Aeons are more Harman tuned, less bass, more treble).

Dec 12, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #8,812 of 9,746
Quick impressions of Z7M2 - they offer perhaps 75% of the performance at a third of the price of the Z1R. The soundstage is a tad smaller, and there is less energy in the treble and detail in the bass. But it is not bass light, the vocals aren't scooped (as alleged by Zeos), and it really is a very similar sound signature and listening experience to the Z1R. Sony has done a great job differentiating these two cans at their price levels while maintaining the "house sound." I would choose the Z1R every time when it comes to "serious music listening," but if I had these headphones without the Z1R to compare to I would be very pleased.

As far as movies go, this is a great set of cans. I am listening via Bluetooth with my Fiio BTR3K. The bass is thunderous on "Star Wars Revenge of the Sith" and the detail and sense of space/position is good. I have no trouble recommending them for movies or games.

Build and comfort-wise, they are on par with the Z1R, and are smaller, feel slightly lighter, and do look less dorky from the outside. At its retail price (currently $500-$600 depending on international vs US warranty versions), the Z7M2 represents a solid but not "great" value (I still think the Dan Clark/Drop Aeon Open and Closed X cans occupy that "great" value slot at retail price). If you can get them used in very good condition as I did for ~350, though, the value evens out and the Sony house sound might tip the balance (Aeons are more Harman tuned, less bass, more treble).
Nice comparison, thanks.
I have decided to go for a secondhand Z1R and should have it in a week.

Although diminishing in returns, once you've experienced higher tiers and come to focus and appreciate those improvements it can be had to go down, and then resist going back up.

Dec 12, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #8,813 of 9,746
Nice comparison, thanks.
I have decided to go for a secondhand Z1R and should have it in a week.

Although diminishing in returns, once you've experienced higher tiers and come to focus and appreciate those improvements it can be had to go down, and then resist going back up.
I agree, having used the Z1R for two years now, I would not want to go back to the Z7M1 or M2 for my "serious listening." I think the Aeon Closed X is a better headphone than the Z7M2 because of its detail level in mid/treble, even though the Z7M2 has better bass punch/slam. But the Z1R is better than the Aeon, because it combines the slam with the upper range detail.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #8,815 of 9,746
has anybody tried a tube amp (like cayin ha3 or similar) on our z1r's? How does it sound?
I am using BA300s and Xduoo MT-604 (1AM2 as the DAC), they help improve soundstage, lower mid and bass texture on Z1R

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #8,817 of 9,746
My IER-Z1R have always been my go to for music. To help justify buying these again I intend to use mostly daily for TV and movies. Forgetting about physical sizing factors, does anyone who owns both the MDR-Z1R and MDR-Z7 actually prefer the Z7 for movies purely for sound?
I had both the Z7 and IER-MDR Z1R pair for a while, for a year I tried to justify having the Z7 alongside the two Z1Rs, but really I never had time to wear them. IMO for any type of content experience the Z7 is inferior to the MDR Z1R, the only thing it have is better comfort on the couch due to the smaller housing, and better breathability on more humid climate.

Most times tho, it's just comfort is not enough, Portably I have the IER and at home I always pick the Z1R first when I need a closed back, so the Z7 was relegated to "walking around home" cans only, and thats quite seldom, I ended up leaving it at Jaben for months and then sold it to fund a TV purchase.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #8,819 of 9,746
Alrighty well.. I guess I'm ready to say this. In it's current configuration with the Dekoni velour pads and the Black Dragon cable i'm willing to call the Z1R the best headphone I ever heard. Along w the HE500 it has a sound that is just totally intoxicating. Stock it is V shaped and not my cup of tea. But with the Dekonis and the Black Dragon cable the mids get a nice lift and play on even field with the treble and bass, and the midbass is totally irradicated. So you get this tremendous textured bass that is very much separated from the now alive mids. My Z1R basically sounds like a dynamic driver HE500, but probably with better technical ability. The Z1R just has top-tier imaging, layering and stage depth. From the TA-ZH1ES the Z1R is sounding unreal. Shame i could never get lucky w the HE500 holding up. But yea, this is where I've landed now on the Z1R. It's a fantastically capable headphone both technically and regarding the detail it can provide. On the TA in it's current config it is endgame.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #8,820 of 9,746
Alrighty well.. I guess I'm ready to say this. In it's current configuration with the Dekoni velour pads and the Black Dragon cable i'm willing to call the Z1R the best headphone I ever heard. Along w the HE500 it has a sound that is just totally intoxicating. Stock it is V shaped and not my cup of tea. But with the Dekonis and the Black Dragon cable the mids get a nice lift and play on even field with the treble and bass, and the midbass is totally irradicated. So you get this tremendous textured bass that is very much separated from the now alive mids. My Z1R basically sounds like a dynamic driver HE500, but probably with better technical ability. The Z1R just has top-tier imaging, layering and stage depth. From the TA-ZH1ES the Z1R is sounding unreal. Shame i could never get lucky w the HE500 holding up. But yea, this is where I've landed now on the Z1R. It's a fantastically capable headphone both technically and regarding the detail it can provide. On the TA in it's current config it is endgame.
before i sold my mdr-z1r, i only had the stock cable. when i read your impressions, i want to buy the z1r again, but with your recommended cables or lavricables grand :).

since i have only 1x per week time to listen, i decided to stay with the meze elite and sell the mdr-z1r, which was basically in "almost new" condition. however, i realize how i miss the sound even if i am not able listen to music often.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back