Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 28, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #7,336 of 9,635
Speaking of Focal, how does the Sony Z1R hold up against the Focal Clear? Also any recommendations for a headphone that will work with any device and sound good and sound even better on an Amp?
Very different cups of tea. Obviously the Clear is open-backed, but it's a masterclass in transparency and detail compared to the more smooth and relaxed sounding Z1R. They Clear also does bass in an altogether different kind of way - it's tighter, quicker, but less pronounced in terms of its overall level.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #7,337 of 9,635
Mightygrey: I take it you have multiple headphones, which I am leaning towards, hell I am already there! I have some Sony MDR-7506 (Better Pads), Sennheiser 660S and DT 770T Pros... I am a speaker guy, and with home office and kids home I have gravitated towards headphones now. :wink: Debating on 1 High End Pair... The Audeze LCD-X are on my list as with the Z1Rs... I have a Burson Amp and Dac coming soon, use mostly SonyNW-WM1A.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #7,338 of 9,635
Mightygrey: I take it you have multiple headphones, which I am leaning towards, hell I am already there! I have some Sony MDR-7506 (Better Pads), Sennheiser 660S and DT 770T Pros... I am a speaker guy, and with home office and kids home I have gravitated towards headphones now. :wink: Debating on 1 High End Pair... The Audeze LCD-X are on my list as with the Z1Rs... I have a Burson Amp and Dac coming soon, use mostly SonyNW-WM1A.
What sort of sound signature do you like? I found the LCD-X both too heavy and a bit too polite in the treble. I found the Z1R to be super opulent and very 'agreeable' sounding.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #7,339 of 9,635
That’s interesting. I listened to my Z1R with the TA-ZH1ES and it sounded great. Recently I upgraded to Chord Dave and Im not liking the sound of Z1R much at all. Under some conditions Z1R can sound almost like it’s open back. Do you ever get the impression that the presentation is just too closed in? Crossfeed didn’t seem to solve this problem for me.
I loved the Z1R matched with the Sony amp but much prefer them now. I think my existing set up sounds more open than it did as before it was stereotype closed in sound. I like what the TT2/MSc gives me now ... but the Dave is different, finer I believe, not as warm as the TT2 ? I deliberately didn't try the Dave lol.

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #7,340 of 9,635
I loved the Z1R matched with the Sony amp but much prefer them now. I think my existing set up sounds more open than it did as before it was stereotype closed in sound. I like what the TT2/MSc gives me now ... but the Dave is different, finer I believe, not as warm as the TT2 ? I deliberately didn't try the Dave lol.
Like some have suggested elsewhere, try the Dave only if you’re prepared to buy it. I wanted to try the TT2 but there wasn’t one to test out at the time. It could have been an interesting listen. I’ve read many praising its headphone amp.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #7,341 of 9,635
Like some have suggested elsewhere, try the Dave only if you’re prepared to buy it. I wanted to try the TT2 but there wasn’t one to test out at the time. It could have been an interesting listen. I’ve read many praising its headphone amp.
I could have bought it as had just retired ... but knew I would buy other stuff too so went with the 'cheaper' option :D

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #7,342 of 9,635
I see the MDR-Z1R being out of stock in a few places and discounted on the Sony site. Is the end of an era upon us?

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #7,343 of 9,635
I see the MDR-Z1R being out of stock in a few places and discounted on the Sony site. Is the end of an era upon us?
Well, considering that a revised NW-WM1Z might be launching soon, it'd make sense for Sony to update their entire "Signature" line, MDR-Z1R included.

Although, the IER-Z1R is still the youngest of the bunch, at about 2 years old; it'll be too early for a revision.

Well, I'm looking forward to a new flagship headphone! :)

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #7,344 of 9,635
Regarding pairing z1r with the Dave. I know it may sound strange but I somehow like pairing with zh1es more then with Dave, although Dave is much better overall especially as a dac. I think that z1r + zh1es is really a nice combo and suit each other really well. One more observation is that among my headphones, z1r responds really well to cable rolling.

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #7,345 of 9,635
Well, considering that a revised NW-WM1Z might be launching soon, it'd make sense for Sony to update their entire "Signature" line, MDR-Z1R included.

Although, the IER-Z1R is still the youngest of the bunch, at about 2 years old; it'll be too early for a revision.

Well, I'm looking forward to a new flagship headphone! :)
What would you expect from a new flagship? Do you think they'll keep the base tuning and improve upon that with a new design and tech or do something different like an open or semi-open back?

Jul 31, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #7,346 of 9,635
Regarding pairing z1r with the Dave. I know it may sound strange but I somehow like pairing with zh1es more then with Dave, although Dave is much better overall especially as a dac. I think that z1r + zh1es is really a nice combo and suit each other really well. One more observation is that among my headphones, z1r responds really well to cable rolling.
Same happened to @VladYR

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #7,347 of 9,635
Same happened to @VladYR
It was a real disappointment to be sure. I was kind of sad to part ways with the Z1R. It was kind of a surprise that it paired far better with a much cheaper TA. I’m going to audition some closed back Focal headphones as I only have the Meze Empyrean and the Z7 left of the old collection. Stellia seems like an interesting option. Maybe Utopia later on.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #7,348 of 9,635
Strangely, the Z7 sounds much better with the Dave than the Z1R. I think it has to do with the level of isolation. It’s much greater on the Z1R than the Z7, hence the rather claustrophobic overall presentation. That wasn’t a problem though when paired with its companion amp.

The Z1R/TA combo kind of remind me of Sonoma M1 headphones that I bought a few years ago. The headphones don’t really work well with other amps so you’re kind of locked into that pairing. The Sonoma was an electrostatic so the dac/energizer worked only for that particular pair of headphones. Decent sound but 0 flexibility.

Jul 31, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #7,349 of 9,635
What would you expect from a new flagship? Do you think they'll keep the base tuning and improve upon that with a new design and tech or do something different like an open or semi-open back?
I hope they go with an open back and then keep the Z1R in production alongside it. That would provide both styles of high-end can.

Aug 1, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #7,350 of 9,635
It was a real disappointment to be sure. I was kind of sad to part ways with the Z1R. It was kind of a surprise that it paired far better with a much cheaper TA. I’m going to audition some closed back Focal headphones as I only have the Meze Empyrean and the Z7 left of the old collection. Stellia seems like an interesting option. Maybe Utopia later on.

I'm a biased, one-eyed and rabid fan of Focal speakers and made a bee-line straight to their closed back line of headphones just recently after I discovered they now made headphones! (Hey, I've been out of the game for a while!)

I ignored the Z1Rs on the shop's demo shelf thanks to reviews and, "that" graph. Well, knock me down with a feather. After going through Focal's entire lineup of closed backs I walked out with the Z1Rs.

I won't colour your mind with my thoughts of the Focal line. I hope you love them, they're my favourite audio brand by far. I'd be keen to hear what you reckon. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back