Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jul 2, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #7,216 of 9,652
The Z1R was my go "fun" headphone until I got the HE-R10p's. Now I have fun with great technical ability as well. They are two of the best for EDM along with the TH900's.
Shhh... Don't open the box of thunders
Don't compare the HE-R10 with Sony headphones :wink:

Jul 2, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #7,217 of 9,652
I might repurchase it if I ever give the DMP-Z1 a try. I was really bummed out when it sounded too closed in with the Chord Dave.

Jul 2, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #7,218 of 9,652
The Z1R was my go "fun" headphone until I got the HE-R10p's. Now I have fun with great technical ability as well. They are two of the best for EDM along with the TH900's.
Nice. The HE-R10P's seem interesting, though, $4.5k+ is a hard pill to swallow to me for listening to "fun" genres where most mastering/recording is sub-par to begin with, and trying to maximize the experience only seems to gain subtle improvements compared to, say, my Verite for recorded instruments and vocals. But, those are just my ears (and wallet). :)

But, I love that Hifiman brought them into existence. What do you think of the SE-Master1 compared to the Z1R and HE-R10P?

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #7,219 of 9,652
The Pioneer SE-Master1’s are fantastic headphones. In a lot of ways they remind me of an open version of the Z1R’s. They have a incredible smooth, dynamic, musical tone. Much like the Z1R’s but with a more open and expansive sound that digs deeper into the music.

They are a really good all around headphone. The SE-Master1’s are more about musical enjoyment and not about analyzing it in the same sense the Z1R’s are. That’s the short version of how the SE-Master1’s sound. I’m really glad I got them as they didn’t garner the recognition I think they deserve in my opinion.

Jul 2, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #7,220 of 9,652
Hello everyone! I am wondering if anyone has tried pairing the MDR-Z1R with any of the Astell & Kern DAPs? I'm looking for my endgame audiophile gear mostly to use at home. I'd prefer using a DAP and so far the A&K SE180 seems to be my pick in that department cause I just love A&Ks design & build quality. I'm not too picky about sound signatures, but I do want something that screams high end quality. The MDR-Z1R looks perfect for me. If they're a good pairing, I'd just get both of them.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #7,221 of 9,652
Hello everyone! I am wondering if anyone has tried pairing the MDR-Z1R with any of the Astell & Kern DAPs? I'm looking for my endgame audiophile gear mostly to use at home. I'd prefer using a DAP and so far the A&K SE180 seems to be my pick in that department cause I just love A&Ks design & build quality. I'm not too picky about sound signatures, but I do want something that screams high end quality. The MDR-Z1R looks perfect for me. If they're a good pairing, I'd just get both of them.
Well, as you're residing in Singapore, there are a few stores that carry both the MDR-Z1R and the various Astell & Kern (AK) DAPs. If you haven't done so already, pay a visit to Stereo. The last I checked (less than a week ago), they have the MDR-Z1R and a host of top-end AK DAPs available for auditioning. :)

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #7,222 of 9,652
Hello,

is there anybody who can inform me how to add a classified?

I want to sell my Sony MDR-Z1R, but can't find the option under classifieds...

Thanks!

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #7,223 of 9,652
Ah, got it.

I need to have more than 15 posts.
I follow headfi for a couple of years now and really enjoy to read about other peoples experiences! But I don't post a lot myself!

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #7,224 of 9,652
Well, as you're residing in Singapore, there are a few stores that carry both the MDR-Z1R and the various Astell & Kern (AK) DAPs. If you haven't done so already, pay a visit to Stereo. The last I checked (less than a week ago), they have the MDR-Z1R and a host of top-end AK DAPs available for auditioning. :)
That's a good idea. I'll pay a visit to Stereo then. I'm also considering the Audeze Lcd-X (not the creator's edition) and Audio Technica's ATH-AWKT, I don't know if they have it, but it'll be better to compare them with the Z1Rs using the A&K daps.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #7,225 of 9,652
I have the LCD-X and MDR-Z1R. I use either with the TA-ZH1ES and the DHC Prion4 balanced cable. Before I got the Prion4, I rarely used the LCD-X (I have Moon Black and Cardas Light Cables balanced cables for it). With either of those cables, the LCD-X sounded thin and harsh. The Prion4 brought the bass that was closer to the MDR-Z1R and smoothed out the highs.

So the LCD-X being a planar headphone can provide great details and resolution, but needs to be matched with the right kind of cable and AMP/DAC.

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #7,226 of 9,652
That's a good idea. I'll pay a visit to Stereo then. I'm also considering the Audeze Lcd-X (not the creator's edition) and Audio Technica's ATH-AWKT, I don't know if they have it, but it'll be better to compare them with the Z1Rs using the A&K daps.
Yes, they have the ATH-AWKT and the LCD-X, too. The Creator's Edition of the LCD-X (and the LCD-XC) is basically the same headphone, sans hard case.

Enjoy your time with the MDR-Z1R. Let us know what you think of them! :)

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #7,229 of 9,652
I finally got fed up with listening to the Sony balanced Kimber Kable, because the gold connector was wearing down and causing static when it rotated in my WM1A. So I pulled out the stock balanced cable. I can't say I notice any difference - the stock cable sounds great - just as spacious and rich for orchestral music. I'm having a hard time imagining spending more than say $200 on a replacement cable going forward.

DSC_0590.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back