Sony Z1R....listening impressions only
Jun 29, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #7,201 of 9,740
I am just trying to decide for a high end closed back headphone.
So far from my research is got to be between : Z1R, D9200, ATH-AWKT.
Does anyone has experience with all 3? I want large soundstage, deep low bass especially for movies and comfort is really important.
I may even give the Z2 M2 a go if it suits my needs.

Jun 29, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #7,202 of 9,740
I never like AT stuff so I won't comment on the ATH-AWKT. Between the Z1R and D9200, Z1R is more comfy but bass is stronger on the D9200. Soundstage-wise, both are ok, never to shout about.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #7,203 of 9,740
Decided to use the mdr-z1r outside for the first time today, cutting the grass. Got dressed in my lawn mowing attire in the bathroom, hooked it up to my phone and curled up the cable to fit in my pocket, started a playlist on youtube and then i caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and holy heck i look stupid with these things on.

I can not be seen in public with these things, especially wearing my ray ban aviators because people will believe i am live action roleplaying as some hangar carrier crewman or something. I should add that i did not sense any discomfort using them with sunglasses which is more than i can say for my other headphones.

I can also report that they sounded fine on my cheapo Samsung, but did not have the slam and loudness i am used to on my pc. They are also not really suitable for doing any sort of manual labor, because you will get sweaty around the ears.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #7,204 of 9,740
They are also not really suitable for doing any sort of manual labor, because you will get sweaty around the ears.
You also wouldn't happen to have an extra pair of Diana V2 I could borrow for working out, would ya? That's some FU money. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't baby my headphones, but I don't think I'd ever go do yardwork with them lol. That's why I got my Sony XM4 noise cancelling pair for beating up. I also don't feel like I could really care enough for ultimate sonic quality when I'm out and about. I'm usually too busy or distracted when I'm outside the house (not to mention being aware for safety reasons).

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #7,205 of 9,740
Decided to use the mdr-z1r outside for the first time today, cutting the grass. Got dressed in my lawn mowing attire in the bathroom, hooked it up to my phone and curled up the cable to fit in my pocket, started a playlist on youtube and then i caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and holy heck i look stupid with these things on.

I can not be seen in public with these things, especially wearing my ray ban aviators because people will believe i am live action roleplaying as some hangar carrier crewman or something. I should add that i did not sense any discomfort using them with sunglasses which is more than i can say for my other headphones.

I can also report that they sounded fine on my cheapo Samsung, but did not have the slam and loudness i am used to on my pc. They are also not really suitable for doing any sort of manual labor, because you will get sweaty around the ears.
Yeah, I think the Z1R makes anyone look ridiculous, at least from the front. It's pretty clear Sony thinks so too, as all of their promo photography is from a side or 3/4 view.

And indeed, I would never in a million years use them outdoors. I would never want to sweat heavily on the sheepskin pads; I have a pair of MDR-1000X noise cancelers for commuting, and if I were doing serious physical labor and needed music/noise isolation, I would use earbuds.

I should say though that when I work out outside, I wear nothing, because the sweat issue squicks me out and if I'm riding my bike on the lakefront I want to hear ahead and behind me.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #7,206 of 9,740
You also wouldn't happen to have an extra pair of Diana V2 I could borrow for working out, would ya? That's some FU money. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't baby my headphones, but I don't think I'd ever go do yardwork with them lol. That's why I got my Sony XM4 noise cancelling pair for beating up. I also don't feel like I could really care enough for ultimate sonic quality when I'm out and about. I'm usually too busy or distracted when I'm outside the house (not to mention being aware for safety reasons).
Don't have a pair of those unfortunately and i am not an oil sheikh either so no Diana V2 for you.
Learned my lesson though.. they stay inside from now on.
Yeah, I think the Z1R makes anyone look ridiculous, at least from the front. It's pretty clear Sony thinks so too, as all of their promo photography is from a side or 3/4 view.

And indeed, I would never in a million years use them outdoors. I would never want to sweat heavily on the sheepskin pads; I have a pair of MDR-1000X noise cancelers for commuting, and if I were doing serious physical labor and needed music/noise isolation, I would use earbuds.

I should say though that when I work out outside, I wear nothing, because the sweat issue squicks me out and if I'm riding my bike on the lakefront I want to hear ahead and behind me.
Guess the MDR-Z7M2 is more suitable for being in public judging by their smaller form factor, sweat buildup will still be a problem if doing anything physical, but at least it wont looks as if you are wearing a couple of sushi bowls on your skull.

Earbuds is the only logical solution indeed.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #7,207 of 9,740
I don't take y expensive headphones out :) in fact i am regretting not having tested the DMP-Z1 with my IER-Z1Rs. And i am looking for a BLON or a cheap Ibasso IT IEM to avoid using my IER-M7 outside

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #7,208 of 9,740
I don't take y expensive headphones out :) in fact i am regretting not having tested the DMP-Z1 with my IER-Z1Rs. And i am looking for a BLON or a cheap Ibasso IT IEM to avoid using my IER-M7 outside
I like the Blon Mini

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #7,209 of 9,740
Jun 30, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #7,210 of 9,740
Don't have a pair of those unfortunately and i am not an oil sheikh either so no Diana V2 for you.

Guess the MDR-Z7M2 is more suitable for being in public judging by their smaller form factor, sweat buildup will still be a problem if doing anything physical, but at least it wont looks as if you are wearing a couple of sushi bowls on your skull.

Z7 marks 1 and 2 are both very attractive headphones on the head, for sure, and look considerably less dorky than Z1R. Still probably a bit ostentatious for the great outdoors, though.

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #7,211 of 9,740

I think the most important thing to take away from your Z1R/lawn mowing experiment is that you haven't gotten too consumed with your hobby that you've lost all sense of self and let yourself go. If you'd seen yourself in the mirror and thought 'cool', I'll show them off to the neighbours while doing the lawns an intervention may be required.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #7,212 of 9,740
Jul 2, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #7,213 of 9,740
When I just want to lay back and jam to some good edm I go for the Z1R pretty much every time. The bass is about perfect for all types of edm with enough thump for house and techno and the sub-bass for breakbeat and other styles with a lot of bass drops. I think the Z1R has to be my most "fun" sounding headphone and really doesn't sound like anything I have and for that reason, I don't think I would ever sell them.

Jul 2, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #7,214 of 9,740
When I just want to lay back and jam to some good edm I go for the Z1R pretty much every time. The bass is about perfect for all types of edm with enough thump for house and techno and the sub-bass for breakbeat and other styles with a lot of bass drops. I think the Z1R has to be my most "fun" sounding headphone and really doesn't sound like anything I have and for that reason, I don't think I would ever sell them.
Ditto.

Jul 2, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #7,215 of 9,740
The Z1R was my go "fun" headphone until I got the HE-R10p's. Now I have fun with great technical ability as well. They are two of the best for EDM along with the TH900's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back